NEED outside eyes for my display refugium picture schematic: An unpopular approach??

sarahgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, can you check over this refugium schematic? I am attempting to not use an overflow box, but am opting to use a two drain system, seperate drill holes, one with a bulkhead strainer, and one as the emergency.

My DT is a IM Nuvo EXT 75, with a Trigger platinum Cube, and the Display Fuge is a Waterbox Mini 10, non-drilled; I plan to drill it...

Please let me know if the below is logical, and any issues I may run into.

1629516372750.png

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say from your diagram, you are good. you'll want flow control on the line feeding your fuge, because the strainer style drain is a pretty low volume drain.. those strainers can clog pretty quick/easy if the right conditions arise. the only other item to ensure is that if all power is out, you don't overflow your sump (which is just a matter of the water line you fill it to).

OP
OP
sarahgo

sarahgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say from your diagram, you are good. you'll want flow control on the line feeding your fuge, because the strainer style drain is a pretty low volume drain.. those strainers can clog pretty quick/easy if the right conditions arise. the only other item to ensure is that if all power is out, you don't overflow your sump (which is just a matter of the water line you fill it to).
Thanks for your reply! I will surely keep the strainer clean, and I have extras that I will trade out for cleaning :). I just wanted have a low cost option, but still with an emergency drain. I’m pretty drained….pun intended, after this build. Lol.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well good luck.. i have a couple of tanks that are similar. as long as everything is fed by the sump you should be good (and as long as you keep the correct/safe waterline in the sump). you may get a bit of a glug/glug effect from the strainer as air and water compete for space... you can adjust the flow down to combat it.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had one other thought on your diagram.. the "below water line" strainer.. keep in mind it shouldn't be below, but about in the middle of your water line. if it is below that means it is not draining fast enough (or at its max capabilities) and very little blockage will cause it to overflow (in your case go to your emergency drain).

OP
OP
sarahgo

sarahgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point. I think I will just go with an overflowbox. I see Fiji cube has a 400gph rated one, albeit some bad reviews for bulkhead quality, but I like that it has 3/4 inch returns.... I am having some regrets already about drilling two holes in a small, rimless tank. I think going with one is a better option.

Thanks for the feedback.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back