Need RODI - LFS sold me pure ammonia water

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’s the best chain store to get RODI?

I just bought 10 gallons of RODI water from my LFS but when I opened the jug it smelled “fishy”

I tested the water and it came out to 3 ppm ammonia (!)

I’m gonna order my own RODI machine but where can I get top off until then. I’ve got bottles of Kroger water?

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just bought 10 gallons of RODI water from my LFS but when I opened the jug it smelled “fishy”

I’m gonna order my own RODI machine but where can I get top off until then. I’ve got bottles of Kroger water?
Distilled water in jugs from grocery store work, what test kit did you use?

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Robert Binz Almost asked where you lived thinking of offering RODI if you wanted to pickup. Then I thought, "wonder what Kroger is" and realized we are probably not close.

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a professional but can you get prime from your lfs to detoxify water? I agree distilled water fresh would be okay to just top off until then. What area do you live in? BRS has great RODI filters I run redundant two carbon blocks and two di color changing resin.

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a professional but can you get prime from your lfs to detoxify water? I agree distilled water fresh would be okay to just top off until then. What area do you live in? BRS has great RODI filters I run redundant two carbon blocks and two di color changing resin.

I live in Houston. I just ordered the RO Buddie from amazon @ 1 day shipping. I’m in college so I don’t have a lot of room for a proper setup (thus my plan to just buy from the LFS).

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you telling me there are people in central FL that have never heard of:
The Kroger Co., or simply Kroger, is an American retailing company founded by Bernard Kroger in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is the United States' largest supermarket chain by revenue ($115.34 billion for fiscal year 2016),[4] the second-largest general retailer (behind Walmart)[4] and the seventeenth largest company in the United States.[5] Kroger is also the fifth-largest retailer in the world and the third largest American-owner private employer in the United States.[6] Kroger is ranked #17 on the Fortune 500 rankings of the largest United States corporations by total revenue

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kroger Co., or simply Kroger, is an American retailing company founded by Bernard Kroger in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is the United States' largest supermarket chain by revenue ($115.34 billion for fiscal year 2016),[4] the second-largest general retailer (behind Walmart)[4] and the seventeenth largest company in the United States.[5] Kroger is also the fifth-largest retailer in the world and the third largest American-owner private employer in the United States.[6] Kroger is ranked #17 on the Fortune 500 rankings of the largest United States corporations by total revenue

I lol’d at your sass. In his defense I’d never heard of it when I lived in Oregon

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have been to Ft Lauderdale a few times and noticed there are no grocery chains I am familiar with just this thing called Publix which I was very disturbed one day when I found something in the milk section of it called Moo Juice... Guess everywhere is different

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm in college too! I would recommend an RODI unit, makes things much easier and cheaper if you need to make lots of water.

I have an RODI buddie. its solid. I added another RO membrane and make 1 gallon of RO water every 10-11min. thats about 140 gallons a day. The waste is probably 1.75x so I'm okay with that.

I occasionally buy kroger (there is a red label) or walmart (pink label) distilled water for around 80 cents a gallon. I've tested both and they both render 0ppm

I lived in houston for a couple years, I'm sure HEB will have perfectly fine distilled water for you to use

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm in college too! I would recommend an RODI unit, makes things much easier and cheaper if you need to make lots of water.

I have an RODI buddie. its solid. I added another RO membrane and make 1 gallon of RO water every 10-11min. thats about 140 gallons a day. The waste is probably 1.75x so I'm okay with that.

I occasionally buy kroger (there is a red label) or walmart (pink label) distilled water for around 80 cents a gallon. I've tested both and they both render 0ppm

I lived in houston for a couple years, I'm sure HEB will have perfectly fine distilled water for you to use

Hey thanks for the advice! I love hearing from other college reefers

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m from south Fla, and what the heck is a Kroger? :)

@AiKkz Maybe it's how they pronounce Publix?? Idk

@Aardvark1134 ...but do they have Pub Subs?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a professional but can you get prime from your lfs to detoxify water?

I’d be a bit nervous about using prime or something on the water. RODI water is supposed to be totally pure and the fact that it stinks and contains ammonia certainly indicates that that is not the case. Prime would take care of the ammonia, but who knows what else is in that water?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back