Need RODI - LFS sold me pure ammonia water

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my view, 25 miles away is local. Maybe one of the other stores can help you out until you get your RODI system?

Also, I'd take those results back to the LFS where you purchased the water and get a refund!

+1 and then stay away from that LFS.

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 and then stay away from that LFS.

There was a long line of people buying water behind me. Some, of not all, must’ve put that into their tanks and lost some anaimals. I mean >2ppm ammonia is crazy high

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water, like RODI, should have 0 TDS. If concerned about pH in distilled, you can aerrate it to exchange dissolved c02 and normalize pH.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my water from an lfs, most of the time I don't have a problem. On the rare occasion that I do I mention it to them and they take care of it quickly. I trust em but I do check the water once in a while to make sure, They're ppl and they make oop's as much as we do. Last time I had a phosphate problem that I traced to the water. They were quick to change out all their filters and gave me free water on my next trip. Tell them before you cross they off.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sold you water change water most likely. I’d go back and ask them to swap it.

I would demand a refund and also a free refill that they have to test in front of you for your troubles. You spent your time which is worth money plus gas to go to the LFS and buy the water!

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you telling me there are people in central FL that have never heard of:
The Kroger Co., or simply Kroger, is an American retailing company founded by Bernard Kroger in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is the United States' largest supermarket chain by revenue ($115.34 billion for fiscal year 2016),[4] the second-largest general retailer (behind Walmart)[4] and the seventeenth largest company in the United States.[5] Kroger is also the fifth-largest retailer in the world and the third largest American-owner private employer in the United States.[6] Kroger is ranked #17 on the Fortune 500 rankings of the largest United States corporations by total revenue
Publix better

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would demand a refund and also a free refill that they have to test in front of you for your troubles. You spent your time which is worth money plus gas to go to the LFS and buy the water!

Getting salty with the front man of the store because the kid in the back made a mistake never makes for a good relationship with your LFS.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Red Sea Ammonia test. I’ve always been skeptical of my LFS but it’s been my only options because the other two are 11 & 25 miles away
I wish mine were only 11 miles away! We live way out in the country so it takes us 20 minutes just to get to Walmart. The closest LFS is nearly 23 miles... all the way to the other side...

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I have been to Ft Lauderdale a few times and noticed there are no grocery chains I am familiar with just this thing called Publix which I was very disturbed one day when I found something in the milk section of it called Moo Juice... Guess everywhere is different
Man what is moo juice? I am familiar with Publix. I lived in Miami for a while. But now I am back home where I belong. In Chicago we have Jewel, Petes, and that all worth naming. Ooh wait this thread is not for a grocery store its about water hmmm. ok.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I have been to Ft Lauderdale a few times and noticed there are no grocery chains I am familiar with just this thing called Publix which I was very disturbed one day when I found something in the milk section of it called Moo Juice... Guess everywhere is different
Man what is moo juice? I am familiar with Publix. I lived in Miami for a while. But now I am back home where I belong. In Chicago we have Jewel, Petes, and that all worth naming. Ooh wait this thread is not for a grocery store its about water hmmm. ok.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man what is moo juice? I am familiar with Publix. I lived in Miami for a while. But now I am back hom

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish mine were only 11 miles away! We live way out in the country so it takes us 20 minutes just to get to Walmart. The closest LFS is nearly 23 miles... all the way to the other side...

Dang I guess I’m just spoiled living in one of the largest US cities lol. Driving more than 5 miles for anything feels like an eternity

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I guess I’m just spoiled living in one of the largest US cities lol. Driving more than 5 miles for anything feels like an eternity
Yea... but I’ll travel 23 miles before I move to the city. Country living is the best. We have deer, raccoons, bunnies, hawks, foxes.... I love “the middle of nowhere.” We don’t live at the end of the world, but we can see it from the backyard! ;)

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the ph first. My very first fish tank was killed off by distilled. Ph was over 12.
Not to say they didn’t fix that. Was 20 years ago.

How is that possible?
It can't have been distilled water if the ph was 12!

I stand corrected. Today I measured my demineralised water and it had a pH of 12! I poured some into a glass and left it there while I went to work. When I returned it was 11! How is this possible??
TDS reads 008

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand corrected. Today I measured my demineralised water and it had a pH of 12! I poured some into a glass and left it there while I went to work. When I returned it was 11! How is this possible??
TDS reads 008
I posted this earlier in this thread, but the simple answer is that you can’t effectively measure the pH of purified water.

This is a quote from Randy Holmes-Farley

The pH of highly purified water is not accurately measured by test kits, or by pH meters. There are several different reasons for this, including the fact that highly purified water has very little buffering capacity, so its pH is easily changed. Even the acidity or basicity of a pH test kit’s indicator dye is enough to alter pure water’s measured pH. As for pH meters, the probes themselves do not function well in the very low ionic strength of pure freshwater, and trace impurities on them can swing the pH around quite a bit.

Leaving the water out exposed it to CO2 and as noted above, with purified water small changes can make a big difference.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back