Need serious help. lost 90% of my tank. velvet? new tank syndrome?

OP
OP
J

Jake DiMeglio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in the free-swimming stage, but they can and do attach anything hard, such as shells during the cyst stage. I lost all my fish to Velvet about 6-8 months ago from adding snails. Everything else had been thoroughly QT'd; fish with copper or CP, inverts/etc with 90 days isolation.

So unfortunately I can confirm first-hand this happens.

What would you suggest i do with my tank?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it sounds like velvet to me as well. The black spots could also be black ich or they could be the aftermath of velvet IE velvet insertion points on some acanthurus tangs look like black spots after the fact, I've also seen this on sailfin tangs.

I'd remove and treat ASAP and leave the tank fallow for 76 days.

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you suggest i do with my tank?
What Ford is recommending above is the only option, not just IMO but in unfortunate fact. Painful process, but the fish are going to die very quickly unless you get them out of there fast and start treatment. I have a 450g with a lot of rock, and was unable to get them out quick enough, hence all the deaths... thousands of dollars worth of fish.

Note that Velvet dies out much quicker than the 76 day fallow treatment window mentioned, BUT you should also consider other parasites, notably Ich, that do require 76 days. No point in returning the saved fish back until then.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that Velvet dies out much quicker than the 76 day fallow treatment window mentioned, BUT you should also consider other parasites, notably Ich, that do require 76 days. No point in returning the saved fish back until then.
+1 you may as well treat for all parasites in this instance.

I would also start reading these:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back