Need some advice on scaping for fish lanes

scolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building out a tank that I hope to keep some larger tangs in one day and I want to setup the aquascape to have lots of swimming lanes for fish.

This sketch is roughly what I'm considering - the arrows are where I envision open lanes that go from near the substrate to the top of the water (approximately 22"). The structures will be made out of Carib Sea Life Rock and have lots of spots for fish to hide and coral to grow. The 3 large shapes will have varying heights but generally not go above 12" tall. I'll create some smaller rubble islands in the front and perhaps the right side as well but they will not be more than a few inches high so I don't think they will impede swimming to much.

Is 6" enough space between the rock structures assuming they generally narrow as they go up in height?

Will fish swim around the tank in these lanes or simply pace back and forth across the front of the tank?
Aquascape.png

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be OK ( Nice Diagram BTW) I have tangs that have a consistent 12" to 18" of space to swim around rock work and the glass with a center Island overflow and they do their thing. I would just not overstock or crowd them out with coral. They love to pick at rocks the more rocks the better.

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post pics of your progress btw we love to see new builds. I highly recommend reefwelder plastic epoxy glue from aquamaxx for aquascaping if you can find it.

OP
OP
S

scolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @KYnewbee42103. I hadn't really considered grazing space and I'm thinking those channels might be to narrow for a larger fish to stop and pick at the rocks. I'll keep that in mind when I build and layout the shapes to make sure there are places that open up a bit to allow a curious fish to stop and pick at something.

Back