Need some advise on hooking up my TUNZE ATO to my APEX!

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I be able to hook up my TUNZE Osmolator ATO 5017 to my Apex Classic controlleR? Do i need the break out box or what? Since the TUNZE 5017 COMES WITH A optical eye and a float switch! WOULD i JUST HOOK UP THE FLOAT SWITCH TO THE BREAKOUT BOX BY APEX? Or do I just plug in the TUNZE ATO to my energy bar and keep it running on. Let me know your thoughts and how you have yours hooked up.. Not looking to do water changes just looking to control my TUNZE ATO Osmolator, just in case any issues happen while I am at work all day - i could be notified on my Iphone. One last think i have Eshopps 5 gallon storage container w/ float valve which cuts the water supply from my RODI that's hooked up to it..

Tank Info:
120 Mixed Reef
Apex Classic Controller
Ecotech M1 pump
Skimz 163 DC Montzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge
2 TUNZE Turbelle Nanostream 6055's
2 AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED Fixtures
Celestial C35W Maxspect Refuge Spotlight
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master & Slave Doser
TUNZE Osmolator ATO 5017

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the smaller Tunze ATO and it comes with it's own controller and pump. I believe you would separate everything use the float valve and optical sensor buy a separate pump and go from there
Although I could be wrong. although looking at it you can't control it with your Apex. ( I wish it would)

I do havevit turn off when I hit a feed mode and I keep off for a while after the return pump goes back on

It's just plugged into the EB8 outlet

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Outlet ReturnPu3_2 = OFF Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 030 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
Defer 030:00 Then ON

Last edited:

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you can do with the apex is control power to the tunze i.e. Turn it on or off. You cannot use the apex to control when the unit adds water to the sump. That being said you can program the apex to turn off the tunze under various circumstances. I have mine programmed to turn off if there is a drop in conductivity. I also have it programmed to turn off if the leak sensors detect a leak. Others with chime in with more ideas

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you can do with the apex is control power to the tunze i.e. Turn it on or off. You cannot use the apex to control when the unit adds water to the sump. That being said you can program the apex to turn off the tunze under various circumstances. I have mine programmed to turn off if there is a drop in conductivity. I also have it programmed to turn off if the leak sensors detect a leak. Others with chime in with more ideas
+1 If there's a BOB laying around, another max float switch won't hurt. The Tunze is bullet proof though so I just have mine to turn on. But I added for the usual delay after power goes out, etc.

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my code. Basically just a turn on/turn off based on Maintenance Mode (FeedD), ALD triggers (water on the floor), and my high level float switch in my sump.

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet MainPump_3 = OFF Then OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF
If ALD1 CLOSED Then OFF
If SumpHi OPEN Then OFF
If Power EB8_3 Off 000 Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good is it working though?
My reservoir is lower than my hose output so it can keep on flowing into the sump unless the pump doesn't turn off so I don't use it with my ald
And I do t have a hi water switch but plan n getting one
Does your Tunze have the high water float

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have the ALD, so I put it to use in conjunction w the ATO. If there's water on the floor for whatever reason, the ATO shuts off..just in case.
The Tunze has the high water float, but all that does is make a ton of noise and I can't control anything with it. My high sump float switch is inline with the Tunze unit, so when the high switch is triggered, my skimmer and ATO shut off. (My skimmer is very sensitive to water level fluctuations, so to avoid an overflow, it turns off)

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured if I have it, lets make it as redundant as possible. If ANY water is on the floor - I don't need the ATO on for any reason!
I recently changed my float switches out to the horizontal mount type and have been much (x100000!!!) happier than the regular float switches which always used to get stuck up or down.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question along these lines.. If i buy an ato like the tunze or jbj will i be able to hook them to an apex to get alerts if say the ato reservoir is low etc.. or can you only get these alerts with the apex atk?

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question along these lines.. If i buy an ato like the tunze or jbj will i be able to hook them to an apex to get alerts if say the ato reservoir is low etc.. or can you only get these alerts with the apex atk?

I do this now. The float switch attached to my RODI container is independent of the ATK I use, or the Tunze or JBJ you may purchase. The float switch wires into the break out box, which connects to one of the inputs on my base unit. Then I set an alert if the float switch triggers, alerting me to the low water in reservoir situation.

The ATK has ports for an optical sensor that can be tied to a reservoir, but it's not the only way to do it.

For what it's worth, salt water doesn't seem to be so friendly to these float switches, but I have never had one fail in RODI.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this now. The float switch attached to my RODI container is independent of the ATK I use, or the Tunze or JBJ you may purchase. The float switch wires into the break out box, which connects to one of the inputs on my base unit. Then I set an alert if the float switch triggers, alerting me to the low water in reservoir situation.

The ATK has ports for an optical sensor that can be tied to a reservoir, but it's not the only way to do it.

For what it's worth, salt water doesn't seem to be so friendly to these float switches, but I have never had one fail in RODI.
Thanks. So the float switch with breakout box would send alerts to my phone if the float switch is triggered? I want something for when im away on vacations to let me know if somethings wrong.
If im going to have an apex tho would i be best to just get the neptune atk to avoid buying other switches or a breakout box?

Sroufe7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be picking up a APEX 2016 this weekend (since Vertex won't update us on the release of the V2) and the only thing I don't like about the TUNZE Osmolator ATO (which I currently have) is every time the power is turned on it does like a pump test and runs the pump for 20-30 seconds. So I've been looking at what I would like to do for an ATO, because I would like to have it turn off when I feed.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be picking up a APEX 2016 this weekend (since Vertex won't update us on the release of the V2) and the only thing I don't like about the TUNZE Osmolator ATO (which I currently have) is every time the power is turned on it does like a pump test and runs the pump for 20-30 seconds. So I've been looking at what I would like to do for an ATO, because I would like to have it turn off when I feed.
It really doesnt hurt any thing for it to do the self test....it may just be a little longer before it needs to top off the next time.

That said you might want to look at the ATK, you get a free FMM in the process basically

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A high sensor solves the problem but then you need a break out box.

It's too bad you can use the code "If SWx1 closed > 004:000 Then OFF" as a time out code in apex...

Grumble.

The tunze is bullet proof but if you go atk you get additional options with that fmm module.

Pick your poison.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So the float switch with breakout box would send alerts to my phone if the float switch is triggered? I want something for when im away on vacations to let me know if somethings wrong.
If im going to have an apex tho would i be best to just get the neptune atk to avoid buying other switches or a breakout box?

Yes. You can code the APEX to send you alerts via text message and iOS push notifications using the status of a float switch. This is pretty straightforward and I'd be happy to help if you go this route, just let me know.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the ATK. I have it on my system, I've never had an issue with it since I installed it. If you're already an Apex user it's easy to integrate, so I highly recommend it. However, it does cost more than a breakout box and some float switches, so it may be a budget dependent question for you, I don't know.

If you can swing the cash, I would go ATK all the way. Prior to the ATK, I had a DIY job using some float switches and a breakout box, and it was a functional solution, but not as redundant as the ATK. Really depends on how much you want to spend.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A high sensor solves the problem but then you need a break out box.

It's too bad you can use the code "If SWx1 closed > 004:000 Then OFF" as a time out code in apex...

Grumble.

The tunze is bullet proof but if you go atk you get additional options with that fmm module.

Pick your poison.

Apologies, but a couple of quick clarifications.

If you go with the ATK, and want to add another optical sensor for a "high" sensor for whatever reason, you can easily do this with the ATK. You would just plug another optical sensor into one of the two spare ports, and boom, you're good to go. No breakout box or float switches required. And, the optical sensors now come with nifty magnet holders, so it would be easy to do this through a sump wall.

Also, you can (now) easily do what you asked for above.

With the release of the ATK, Neptune Systems added the WHEN command, which provides an easy way to measure time in command statements. From my PUMP_ATK code:

When On > 005:00 Then OFF

This is in the code for my pump command. If the ATO pump is ON for more than 5:00 minutes, it sets the outlet to OFF, stops the pump, and sets it as an ERROR. Then, in my alarm outlet:

If Error PUMP_ATK Then ON

This sends me a text message and an iOS push notification that something is wrong, and that I need to address it. Then to reset it, just switch the outlet state back to ON in Fusion.

AND, if you're not comfortable coding, Fusion has tasks that provide prompts to set this up all automatically. It's really helpful.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There was a guy on another forum with a nano tank. The normal ATO topoff only ran for 3-5 seconds, which was not enough to create a siphon. However, occasionally when the pump came on during the auto test, it was enough to create a siphon and he ended up dumping 5g of water into his 30g tank. This was fixed with a simple siphon break, but it was still a mess.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let me say thank you for the "When command", that bit of knowledge had escaped my notice and I just incorporated into my make shift ATO I set up on one of my smaller tanks as an added safety.

With regards to the extra functionality of using the ATK and getting the FMM, I think I mentioned that already. I didn't really consider the optical high sensor however as I have yet to test the optical sensors for reliability and for what they cost, have not yet considered introducing them to my system. That is however, a GREAT point!.

The float sensors work out safely if you put enough other safties in place such as a smaller reservoir and a low sensor inside the reservoir as well etc. Now with the "when" command...even better.

With my homemade setup...ill continue to get notifications that the sump is still reading low even though the pump timed out and I can just leave it off till I get home or have someone look at it. I have a high level as well. For $40.00 you can do so much with break out boxes I am on my 3rd now. Ha!

Apologies, but a couple of quick clarifications.

If you go with the ATK, and want to add another optical sensor for a "high" sensor for whatever reason, you can easily do this with the ATK. You would just plug another optical sensor into one of the two spare ports, and boom, you're good to go. No breakout box or float switches required. And, the optical sensors now come with nifty magnet holders, so it would be easy to do this through a sump wall.

Also, you can (now) easily do what you asked for above.

With the release of the ATK, Neptune Systems added the WHEN command, which provides an easy way to measure time in command statements. From my PUMP_ATK code:

When On > 005:00 Then OFF

This is in the code for my pump command. If the ATO pump is ON for more than 5:00 minutes, it sets the outlet to OFF, stops the pump, and sets it as an ERROR. Then, in my alarm outlet:

If Error PUMP_ATK Then ON

This sends me a text message and an iOS push notification that something is wrong, and that I need to address it. Then to reset it, just switch the outlet state back to ON in Fusion.

AND, if you're not comfortable coding, Fusion has tasks that provide prompts to set this up all automatically. It's really helpful.

Last edited:

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tunze controller (not the nano one) good with either type of outlet on the eb8?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back