Need some background info on the Mystery Wrasse?

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, i currently have a 20 gallon setup with just a false perc. clown in it. i just bought a new finnex 30M tank, 24 gallon display with 6 gallons of sump/fuge in the back. hopefully it will control my algae problem a little better than the AC50 i have. so i realized, why am i spending 100 bucks on small frags of chalices and what not while i can pick up a really nice display fish for that price. i really want a mystery wrasse, but don't really know much about them. i no they eat shrimp, which i don't have, but thats all i know. are they nice or territorial? do they eat pods like a sixline would?

this is what my fish list is probably gonna look like, i will add them in that order too:

False Perc. Clown (he was my first fish so i can't get rid of him)
Yasha Haze Goby w/Pistol Shrimp
Pipefish (either Dragonface, Bluestripe, or Multibanded)
Mystery Wrasse?

feel free to comment!

jabol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I had one. There is no doubt that mystery is a very beautiful and active fish. However, I sold mine just because I believed that 30g tank was not large enough for this fish. I had only a pair of true perculas at that time. I have to say that I really regret selling this fish though. Btw, mystery would keep your pods population under control:)

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks jabol, did you have a mystery in a 30 gallon? i sure if i got a small one it could work in a 30 gallon for a year or two. once my brother goes off to college, which is in two years (for me next year), we are selling everything. i don't know if i want the mystery or a pair of pipefish, there won't be enough pods for both in the tank.

jabol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my mystery in 30g long. One of the problems was that my percula ("big mama") was kind of aggressive. All in all, I would get mystery again:) I am not sure about mystery and pipefish together though...

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i'm gonna get one, they seem like a great fish. i probably will lay off the pipefish then, thanks for the advice.

jabol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only fish I really regret selling...

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, i checked out a new LFS in the area tonight and they had 2 in stock. the tanks were barely lit because i went in 10 min. before closing, but what i saw was amazing. they had both of them in a huge reef tank with a few other wrasses. them and the sixlines had the best personality which i like. once my tank cycles, the first thing i'm getting is a mystery wrasse and a good sized squammy.

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember they are a little aggressive. If you plan on keeping any other wrasse, add this next to last. and you ask what to add last????ohhhh well the ******* of all wrasse.....the 6 line.

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currentking, you misunderstood me. i used to have a sixline but it died last week randomly, my emerald crab was eating it. i am only gonna have one wrasse and it will be the last fish added in my tank. i do have one question though, are mystery wrasses benificial to the tank? i no my sixline was, he would pick at my palys all day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back