Need some help getting the last bits of hair algae out of my tank!

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’ve been battling hair algae for a while now and 2 days ago, I did my best to scrape, scrub, and suck a majority of the hair algae out of my tank. I have been dosing Brightwell’s MicroBacteria clean as well as daily scraping of the tank walls. I have a 20g nano tank and my nitrates and phosphates are both 0. I also feed mysis shrimp with vitachem for my clowns (with a pipette to make sure there isn’t food that floats around into the filter or on the bottom of my tank). The hair algae has already grown a little bit after I cleaned it. I was just looking for advice to erradicate this green hairy stuff once and for all! I have 2 hermit crabs, 2 nassarius snails, 2 clownfish, a sexy shrimp and a fire shrimp in there. I’m running to my lfs soon to pick up some asteria snails since all of mine slowly died out. Should I grab anything else while I’m there?
image.jpg

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tooth brush, siphon hose, filter sock. Use the tooth brush to clean the rocks while siphoning out the algae out as it comes off, put a filter sock on the end of the hose and drain to your sump, or a 5 gallon bucket and dump it back in the tank. EZ PZ

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do the same with a gravel vac on the sandbed obv. Just letting it get eaten and broken back down won't do you much good, you'd need more coral to deal with that amount of nutrient, it'll just turn back into algae, removing it is your best option.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do the same with a gravel vac on the sandbed obv. Just letting it get eaten and broken back down won't do you much good, you'd need more coral to deal with that amount of nutrient, it'll just turn back into algae, removing it is your best option.
I did do that but I have a crappy siphon hose so I gotta pick up a new one tomorrow. I grabbed a mexican turbo snail to keep it at bay until I do a water change (I’m doing like 20-30% weekly for now)

Coral therapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get small pouch of both purigen and chemi pure, can put it in the filter so water goes though it. Do 5 gallon water change with ro/di weekly and siphon out any algae using 1/2 hose. Should subside after 3-4 weeks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back