Need some help guys, something is going on with my colors and acro health!

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if I am giving these guys too much light or not enough? These used to be a vibrant green.

e4BBgFG.jpg

yGP5LaV.jpg

Q21l6ev.jpg

Sorry for the blurry photos, I took them from the top down and had issues with the camera lens focusing. On some of these the undersides are still green but the tops are turning a pale pink (not sure if this is considered browning or not).

I checked my params:

Calc 450
Mag 1300
Alk 7.5 (normally keep this between 7.8 - 8.0) It recently dropped to 7.0 over a week of me being out of country for work, the drip rate slowed down on my calc reactor causing alk to drop over the week. Problems started before this but I think this made it a little worse? 1.0 drop over a week shouldnt be that bad right?
No3 10
po4 .06
Temp 78 (apex controlled)
pH 8.2 day 7.9 night
K 400

My tank is 96x30x24 with Radion G4 pro (5 of them) mounted 12 inches from water surface, corals pictures are about 12 inches below. I am running SPS AB+ at 80% 12-5 with 4 hour ramp up/down.

izyLEG3.jpg

Is this a lighting issue? I have a full green slimers at the top with amazing green color and PE, I have one red planet looking great and another turning pinkish.

Also to note, all my monti's have great color as do my stylophoras and birdsnest corals no matter how high or low they are in the tank.

OP
OP
2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some more pics showing some of my healthy and unhealthy corals:

L4cJIO9.jpg

I assume the dead tips are alk related? It's not due to low nutrients as I definitely keep nutrients in the tank.

VZeeuJ5.jpg

This used to be a neon green

5vAojvW.jpg

This frag has been in the tank for almost 7 months with VERY slow growth, maybe .2 inches and used to be a vibrant green; it's in the middle of the tank.

lIfzLTz.jpg

My pink lemonade, good pe good color but very slow growth

ojhTX75.jpg

Green slimer, good growth and color near the top of the tank

1A3M4mF.jpg

Tri-Color, faster growth good purple deep color - near the middle

BB1ihxh.jpg

Teal stag, terrible growth and color is starting to fade turn pinkish; I see vermitid snail webs (lots in my tank) I got two of these frags from the same source added the same day. I have one on the other side of the tank that's doing great with good PE, color and encrusting. The one pictured is about 3 inches higher in the tank

XP9Pjm4.jpg

Not sure what this is but it's encrusting out more than growing tall. Used to be more green but it's more tan in color these days.

RBmATeF.jpg

Supposed to be a vivid fluorescent hot pink, it's more of a nothing...

I wish I knew what the problem was with the decline in alot of these. :(

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what your strontium, boron, iodine and potassium levels are at? Do you test for these or do you turn over your water quickly?

OP
OP
2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what your strontium, boron, iodine and potassium levels are at? Do you test for these or do you turn over your water quickly?

I test potassium (400) and randomly send my water to Aquamedic Water Testing (AWT); my levels have never really been "off". I water change at least once a month (50G) with the regular instant ocean.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to say that they do look like they are burning normally all of these like low lighting besides the green slimer but personally I recommend that you need to move these at the bottom not completely but near the bottom any one else agree

OP
OP
2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does burn happen when alk is lower? This all started as I dipped closer to 7.0 and my nutrients are on the higher end. I ordered a perilstaltic pump to prevent my drop rate from slowing while I’m out of town for work. I’m slowly bringing my alk up to 8.0 over the next two weeks.

Po4 : 0.06
No3: 10

I’m starting to lean towards maybe my lights too bright? I have the same amount of G4 pros on my tank that WWC has on their display which is larger and they have great color. I’m running at 85% while I think they are much lower (below 60%).

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back