Need some help picking new equipment for new tank

Cvf111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys I'm planning on getting a new red sea reefer 750 xxl or a 625 xxl. Just need some more experienced reefers opinions on what I should get. This is what I was thinking about getting so far. Let me know any changes you guys would make. Should I stick with red sea?
Kessil
A360X LED AQUARIUM LIGHT WITH WIFI DONGLE - TUNA BLUE ×4

Aquatic Life
61" HYBRID T5HO 4X80W FIXTURE

Aquatic Life
A360X CIRCULAR LED HYBRID MOUNTING BRACKET ×4

Red Sea
RSK 600 REEFER INTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER

Sicce
SYNCRA SILENT 5.0 PUMP (1321 GPH)

EcoTech Marine
VORTECH MP40WQD QUIETDRIVE PROPELLER PUMP ×2?

Red Sea Reefer
750 xxl or 625 xxl not sure yet

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a D/C pump. I like my current pump. Consider the red sea reef led 90. It is cheaper than the kessil but comparable.

Out of curiosity, why are you doing a hybrid light?

OP
OP
Cvf111

Cvf111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a D/C pump. I like my current pump. Consider the red sea reef led 90. It is cheaper than the kessil but comparable.

Out of curiosity, why are you doing a hybrid light?

Just from what I have read they say they give the best all around lighting blending in with the leds.
I want lights that I can do everything with. Red sea lights aren't bad? Because if that's so I wouldn't mind doing all one brand I'd actually prefer it honestly.

OP
OP
Cvf111

Cvf111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol i have a kessil 360 on my cube and its pretty solid. I didn't pick it tho it cane with the tank setup I bought off Craigslist lol

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Cvf111

Cvf111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from what I have read they say they give the best all around lighting blending in with the leds.
I want lights that I can do everything with. Red sea lights aren't bad? Because if that's so I wouldn't mind doing all one brand I'd actually prefer it honestly.

So should I just get a red sea reefer 750 xxl deluxe?

OP
OP
Cvf111

Cvf111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I just get a red sea reefer 750 xxl deluxe?

If I went with the red sea 750xxl deluxe it comes with 4 reefLED 90 lights. And would save me already 900 bucks on lights alone so thank you so much for that suggestion already! I'll have to do some research on the reefLED 90 lights. What return pump should I get?

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did I just read??

Kessil is a solid company. I have like 8 of their lights and then many other brands like ecotech. Kessil is by far the coolest company when it comes to returns and parts. I needed some hanging brackets the other day because I flat lost the mounts for some older a160's and they didn't ask any questions just mailed me some new ones free of charge... I had a h380 that fell into the sump.... just replaced it free of charge... ap700 that wouldn't connect.. replaced it free of charge.. So i have to say they are a solid company and no other company is producing led chips near the cluster quality like kessil.

But I mean if a black box is your thing then good for you.. I have a electronic engineering degree and I don't DIY my lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Cvf111

Cvf111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did I just read??

Kessil is a solid company. I have like 8 of their lights and then many other brands like ecotech. Kessil is by far the coolest company when it comes to returns and parts. I needed some hanging brackets the other day because I flat lost the mounts for some older a160's and they didn't ask any questions just mailed me some new ones free of charge... I had a h380 that fell into the sump.... just replaced it free of charge... ap700 that wouldn't connect.. replaced it free of charge.. So i have to say they are a solid company and no other company is producing led chips near the cluster quality like kessil.

But I mean if a black box is your thing then good for you.. I have a electronic engineering degree and I don't DIY my lights.
I've really liked my kessil light thats why I was thinking about getting the 360x but I might just go with the reefled 90s now. Save a lot

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I went with the red sea 750xxl deluxe it comes with 4 reefLED 90 lights. And would save me already 900 bucks on lights alone so thank you so much for that suggestion already! I'll have to do some research on the reefLED 90 lights. What return pump should I get?

I would take a look at the Reef Octopus Varios 8. More power than you'll ever need, reliable, and cost effective. RO's Octopulse wave pumps are incredible. 2 Octopulse 4's would work well and it's what i would put in the system you're getting--but that's me.:D I get why people opt for the Mp40, but for my $$ Octopulse wave pumps are the bomb. Add a WaveEngine to your return & wave pumps and the options for flow are almost infinite. GL

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil or AI for lighting
AI or Ecotech for waves
Ecotech or sicce for return.

thats just me.

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a mod choped this thread up. The first poster after OP was bashing kessil and saying they were the illuminati and a company run by the devil and had come up with some kessil conspiracy theory that the company was out to kill DIY projects.. or something like that lol...

OP
OP
Cvf111

Cvf111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I'm going to go with the Red Sea
750xxl Deluxe

Red Sea

2 EcoTech Marine
VORTECH MP40WQD QUIETDRIVE PROPELLER PUMP

VARIOS-8 CONTROLLABLE DC PUMP (2700 GPH) or the 1720 GPH not sure how much I need on that return pump

I think that's the final setup that I'm looking into

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I'm going to go with the Red Sea
750xxl Deluxe

Red Sea

2 EcoTech Marine
VORTECH MP40WQD QUIETDRIVE PROPELLER PUMP

VARIOS-8 CONTROLLABLE DC PUMP (2700 GPH) or the 1720 GPH not sure how much I need on that return pump

I think that's the final setup that I'm looking into

Looks good. Can't wait to see your build thread.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tested out other pumps but I have two Various 8 pumps.
I like them but here is some information for you.

I started out with one inch return plumbing and had to duplicate and use 1-1/4
This is the configuration
4.5 feet of head height a 2" check valve, a 2" Neptune Apex flow meter, 2 90 degree fittings one 45 degree open at the end, overall plumbing run 7 feet in length.
With one inch plumbing full throttle I was at 750GPH
Upsized to the 1-1/4 and run at 1250 on average.

So take that into consideration.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys I'm planning on getting a new red sea reefer 750 xxl or a 625 xxl. Just need some more experienced reefers opinions on what I should get. This is what I was thinking about getting so far. Let me know any changes you guys would make. Should I stick with red sea?
Kessil
A360X LED AQUARIUM LIGHT WITH WIFI DONGLE - TUNA BLUE ×4

Aquatic Life
61" HYBRID T5HO 4X80W FIXTURE

Aquatic Life
A360X CIRCULAR LED HYBRID MOUNTING BRACKET ×4

Red Sea

Sicce
SYNCRA SILENT 5.0 PUMP (1321 GPH)

EcoTech Marine
VORTECH MP40WQD QUIETDRIVE PROPELLER PUMP ×2?

Red Sea Reefer
750 xxl or 625 xxl not sure yet

I recently bought a REEFER P500 and have (3) ReefLED 90's and they are awesome in every way. Plus I have two Reefwave 45's and they too are great--these are especially nice on a peninsula set up because they hang vertically and push water high and low. Also nice to have both the lights and powerheads on the same app, which works perfectly for me. I also have the RSK600 Skimmer. You might consider upgrading your return pump to an Ecotech Vectra M2. It is silent, controllable and very powerful.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back