Need some help to identify these...killing my torch coral!

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - need some expert advice on this one, they were covering the base of my torch coral and nearly killed it. Put into Coral Dip and they immediately came off. Any ideas what they are and how to get rid of them from my system? Thanks!!

IMG_3003.PNG

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand from two friends that Salifert's Flatworm eXit works pretty well. There are a couple of YouTube videos about it.

Good luck

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Flatworm Exit works, but.... Because it works so well, there are MANY cases where the tank was nuked because of it. Not the FWE per say, but the fact that the flatworms emit a toxin as they die.
All that said, get AS MANY AS POSSIBLE out of the tank via dipping 1st. Then... Consider using the FWE.
I would also suggest to have as close to 100% new salt water available. As the worms die, siphon them out, and be ready to do close to, if not 100% water change.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Flatworm Exit works, but.... Because it works so well, there are MANY cases where the tank was nuked because of it. Not the FWE per say, but the fact that the flatworms emit a toxin as they die.
All that said, get AS MANY AS POSSIBLE out of the tank via dipping 1st. Then... Consider using the FWE.
I would also suggest to have as close to 100% new salt water available. As the worms die, siphon them out, and be ready to do close to, if not 100% water change.
Some more advice: http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

OP
OP
g5flier

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not the type of flatworms that are toxic upon death. These are polyclads versus Acoelomorpha.

Thank you that is very good to know!!! I picked up a Melanurus Wrasse today, my LFS said they will quickly take care of your flatworm problem. If this doesn't do it then I'm going to try the Flatworm Exit.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure they will eat them. It's not the same as the convolutriloba, waminoa and that group.

OP
OP
g5flier

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure they will eat them. It's not the same as the convolutriloba, waminoa and that group.

Thanks for the assistance here! If it doesn't do you have any suggestions on keeping them at bay? I understand that the Flatworm Exit really doesn't kill them but will get them to come out in the open where I might be able to get some of them out.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the assistance here! If it doesn't do you have any suggestions on keeping them at bay? I understand that the Flatworm Exit really doesn't kill them but will get them to come out in the open where I might be able to get some of them out.
Might want to look at this: I don't have any experience with flatworms or Flatworm eXit, but it does appear to be killing these pests as well as making them easier to syphon.

Good luck

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that kind of flatworm.....
Yep, from BRS site: "This (Flatworm eXit) will not effectively remove that type of flatworm (polyclad). Although it may agitate them, most reports from users state that it isn't a viable solutions."

From doing a little research looks like some reefers try to catch them using clam as bait, but this doesn't seem practical for a large outbreak.

Renee, what is/are most common method of elimination of polyclads?

Thanks, I'm getting ready for when or if it is my turn in the barrel.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if these will go after clam or not. A lot of the polyclads we run into in our tanks are after bivalves, barnacles, clams and snails and such, but there are indeed corallivores, like the Acropora Eating flatworm. That particular flatworm belongs with this group of polyclads and not the small ones that are more commonly seen. The OPs flatworm often seems associated with euphyllia so that they've dubbed it EEFW... Euphyllia eating acropora. I don't know for sure it's eating the coral, but whatever it does, the coral does not respond well and often dies without intervention.

If it were me, I'd take out the euphyllia, dip them in CoralX and then QT them for a bit. You'll also have to look for eggs.

Last edited:

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if these will go after clam or not. A lot of the polyclads we run into in our tanks are after bivalves, barnacles, clams and snails and such, but there are indeed corallivores, like the Acropora Eating flatworm. That particular flatworm belongs with this group of polyclads and not the small ones that are more commonly seen. The OPs flatworm often seems associated with euphyllia so that they've dubbed it EEFW... Euphyllia eating acropora.

If it were me, I'd take out the euphyllia, dip them in CoralX and then QT them for a bit. You'll also have to look for eggs.
Sounds like a pest you don't ever want to see in your tank. Thanks

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be amused to see that many... nope, not at all.

I'm going to do a little extra reading to see what new stuff is around.

OP
OP
g5flier

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be amused to see that many... nope, not at all.

I'm going to do a little extra reading to see what new stuff is around.

Is the confidence very high that these are in fact polyclad flatworms? I'm not doubting that as I really don't have a clue, only questioning it because everything I've read says they are usually much larger (mine were all under 3/4") and eat both snails and clams. I have no snails missing or any empty shells and my clam is doing just fine. The only place I've seen these to date were on the torch corals and a few on the glass at night. I've looked over my other hammers and frogspawn and no sign of anything. I spent over an hour last night with red LED's looking at just about everything in the system and nothing. I'm not foolish enough to think this is over but honestly no signs of anything else in my system at this point.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the confidence very high that these are in fact polyclad flatworms? I'm not doubting that as I really don't have a clue, only questioning it because everything I've read says they are usually much larger (mine were all under 3/4") and eat both snails and clams. I have no snails missing or any empty shells and my clam is doing just fine. The only place I've seen these to date were on the torch corals and a few on the glass at night. I've looked over my other hammers and frogspawn and no sign of anything. I spent over an hour last night with red LED's looking at just about everything in the system and nothing. I'm not foolish enough to think this is over but honestly no signs of anything else in my system at this point.

Just curious what you ended up doing. I have the same issue. These guys are ONLY on my torch coral. My hammer that I have is completely void of any of these guys. Would be curious to see what you did to fix the problem. I tried siphoning some of them off when I did a water change last night, but no luck...those suckers were on there tight!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back