Need some input from reefers that have experience with frag tanks plumbed to main display…

Hugo’s_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys
I’m finally going to add a frag tank to my main system so I can remove all frags and colony’s that I constantly frag from main display. As those who have seen my tank know I only keep sps and my plan is to get a 24”x24”x? And set up next to my main tank.
F22DE770-ECA2-4C75-8B97-D92AE247134B.jpeg

The goal is to light it with a G5 Radion blue xr15.
I would like to keep cost down (of course) so I plan to provide flow with an MP10 that I already have.

This is the tank I’m planing to get …

203B3925-68A8-4719-B783-1F272A535305.jpeg

So my questions are…

1. I believe a xr15 should be able to provide plenty of light for a sps tank that is 24x24. Would you agree?

2. Do you think an MP10 will be all I need for flow ? Or maybe too much flow?

3. Also what height would you guys recommend 10” Or maybe 12” ? I would like to keep water volume down so my sump can hold the back siphon when power is out, but I also don’t want to have the problem I have with my main display where I can’t crank up the power heads because they will suck in air or splash water out.

Oh and as far as plumbing it to my display I will just set a pump that will pull water from my sump and a return that will drain it back to the sump.

Please let me know if there’s anything I should watch out for etc…

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys
I’m finally going to add a frag tank to my main system so I can remove all frags and colony’s that I constantly frag from main display. As those who have seen my tank know I only keep sps and my plan is to get a 24”x24”x? And set up next to my main tank.
F22DE770-ECA2-4C75-8B97-D92AE247134B.jpeg

The goal is to light it with a G5 Radion blue xr15.
I would like to keep cost down (of course) so I plan to provide flow with an MP10 that I already have.

This is the tank I’m planing to get …

203B3925-68A8-4719-B783-1F272A535305.jpeg

So my questions are…

1. I believe a xr15 should be able to provide plenty of light for a sps tank that is 24x24. Would you agree?
Yes - But I would get the same light you have on your tank now - as compared to having 2 different lights.
2. Do you think an MP10 will be all I need for flow ? Or maybe too much flow?
Since the flow is adjustable - I would think its fine - though you probably won't need to use the high setting. IMHO - there is no such thing as 'too much flow'
3. Also what height would you guys recommend 10” Or maybe 12” ? I would like to keep water volume down so my sump can hold the back siphon when power is out, but I also don’t want to have the problem I have with my main display where I can’t crank up the power heads because they will suck in air or splash water out.
Not sure there is a huge difference between 10 and 12 inches - I would go with 12. how tall is your current tank?

PS - The height should not Make any difference with the amount of water that is flowing back. That will only depend on the level of the overflow - and the surface area of the tank. I.e. if you got a 36x36 inch tank - that would increase volume. The height should not.
Oh and as far as plumbing it to my display I will just set a pump that will pull water from my sump and a return that will drain it back to the sump.

Please let me know if there’s anything I should watch out for etc…
I might consider using a bigger return pump - in your sump - and running both tanks with one pump (obviously with a flow valve).

crny1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have run a apex? If so you may want a float switch in the frag tank to shut the pump off if the drain were to plug. Unless the frag tank has a emergency overflow drain. If the regular drain plugs for some reason the pump will overflow the frag tank and empty the sump in the process.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DON'T DO TRADES WITH THIS GUY
Here is the last text message I sent him

Hey guy it's been over a year and still nothing from you
You took a colony that was worth $300.00 from me with the promise of 2 GMK's in return
But no GMK's and no offer to compensate me for the coral you took
That's just plain wrong
1st time this has ever happened to me in 35 years in the hobby
Think you posted on wrong thread.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back