Need some insight

rlstump24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i started new tank after a 10 year break. I currently am running a 125 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. I have 2 wave makers and just the return pump for mechanics. I used the chamber in my sump as a fuge with some sand, small rock, and macroalgae. I have 3 cleaners (1 is a fire shrimp) several turbo snails and some "zombie" snails. I also have a lawnmower blenny, 2 saddle back clownfish, blue hippo, powder brown, firefish and a goby that has not been seen in 2 days. My temp stays around 78 to 79 degrees, salinty around 1.024. Ph is 8.1, ammonia is slightly above 0. Nitrites are 0 and so are nitrates. I have some hair algae but not much. There is a nice colony of pods currently in my sump. So now for the question. Is this normal or weird? Tank was cycled at the beginning of February this year and added first live stock at 3rd week when cycle finished

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the tank and welcome to the salty family! I'm not really clear on what your question is.
Good Morning Hello GIF by Hill's Pet Nutrition

OP
OP
R

rlstump24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for my parameters to look like this? Is the bioload really small for the volume? My tank from 10 years ago was only 30 gallons so kind of a new beast to me.
Congrats on the tank and welcome to the salty family! I'm not really clear on what your question is.
Good Morning Hello GIF by Hill's Pet Nutrition's Pet Nutrition
?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for my parameters to look like this? Is the bioload really small for the volume? My tank from 10 years ago was only 30 gallons so kind of a new beast to me.

?
You definitely have room to grow. That is a good thing, too much, too fast never ends well. The GHA is probably due to elevated phosphate but it's nothing to lose sleep over. You have a lawnmower and he needs to eat - tangs too.
As you increase your bioload, increase the CUC exponentially.
Make sure that you have a cover on there - those firefish jump.

OP
OP
R

rlstump24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters look normal after the cycling. Did you use any live rock or live sand?
Both
Explains quick cycling and low nitrates.
I added the beneficial bacteria packets from all 3 bags of sand along with the container i received from the guy I bought 50 lbs of live rock from. He has been in the buisness of selling frags for several years so I took the chance being 2nd hand but no bad hitchhikers. I stay up late on the weekends and just look at the movings at nighy sometimes. I forgot to mention in original post that I have a sandsifting star fish as well.

OP
OP
R

rlstump24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely have room to grow. That is a good thing, too much, too fast never ends well. The GHA is probably due to elevated phosphate but it's nothing to lose sleep over. You have a lawnmower and he needs to eat - tangs too.
As you increase your bioload, increase the CUC exponentially.
Make sure that you have a cover on there - those firefish jump.
Awsome. Just was worried abit because my tank long ago did show some levels of nitrites and nitrates even though they were barely any. I also didn't have a fuge with macroalgae either.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back