NEED SOME INSPIRATION AND IDEAS FISH LIST!

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My inverts I own are:
- True Peppermint Shrimp
- Turbo Snail
- Nassarius Snail
- Bumblebee Snail

My planned inverts are:
- Clam
- Cerith Snail possibly
- Strawberry Urchin
- Other Indonesian native species

My main bit of advice is try stick with most thing coming from a similar area, it will make a piece of the reef become a literal thing. If you can’t tell with my tank I’m trying to go Indonesian only, this limits me to certain fish but also doesn’t at the same time. The more you research new areas the more fish you’ll find that are actually native to that area of the world.
That's a really good way of looking at it mate. Im quite hell bent on a yellow watchman and they are from indo pacific so I could follow your rule with Indo fish :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really good way of looking at it mate. Im quite hell bent on a yellow watchman and they are from indo pacific so I could follow your rule with Indo fish :)
For sure, I find it so much nicer when it’s not just a mess of fish from different areas. I don’t know if that’s just me or if it is a thing many others like to have. But yes, I certainly recommend looking deeper into the Blenny and Goby families and finding a list of the ones you like, actually if you can then a way we can help you more is if you can come up with a list of fish you love and we can help you to lower the list to however many fish you’d want to keep.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goggle " Reef Builders" and look for a video they did about a tank done by Aquariums by Design. I like, and am going to do this in the future. What I like is the open space " negative space" The simplicity. The big one is small colorful fish> I don't know what they are, but to my mind would leave a very small concern about ammonia control, and high nutrients. I have a perfect tank waiting . Unfortunately am at the stage of setting lights, and coral in my new 90

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey would like to see a picture of one have no idea

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, I find it so much nicer when it’s not just a mess of fish from different areas. I don’t know if that’s just me or if it is a thing many others like to have. But yes, I certainly recommend looking deeper into the Blenny and Goby families and finding a list of the ones you like, actually if you can then a way we can help you more is if you can come up with a list of fish you love and we can help you to lower the list to however many fish you’d want to keep.
This is what I'm set on so far

purple firefish
Yellow watchman and pistol shrimp
Fire shrimp

Not a huge list yet lol.
Hey would like to see a picture of one have no idea

Attachments

• 1643145561064.jpeg
    1643145561064.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 19

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

purple firefish
Fire shrimp

Not a huge list yet lol.
I love the watchmans and their grouchy faces!!

I can DM you a link to a website with a bunch of fish and photos of them if you want.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

purple firefish
Fire shrimp

Not a huge list yet lol.
ywg can get pretty big and are usually recommended for 30 gals+, are you sure you do not want a different type of watchman? Those that pair with randalls pistol shrimp are better IMO as tigers can be agressive sometimes.

these guys are also indo pacific (the goby, the website is just an example)

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ywg can get pretty big and are usually recommended for 30 gals+, are you sure you do not want a different type of watchman? Those that pair with randalls pistol shrimp are better IMO as tigers can be agressive sometimes.

Thanks! I’ve kind of gone a little bit of a colour scheme that’s all. Wonder if there’s another paired goby that’s yellow as well?

I do love the helfricki firefish that was on my list instead of the purple too just a matter of finding one in Australia that’s all :)

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t mind the orange goby either actually.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it isn’t a shrimp goby there is the Gobiodon genus of gobies that has quite some nice species. The newest one being G. howsoni from Australia and the most yellow being G. okinawa from southern Japan to the southern reaches of the GBR.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it isn’t a shrimp goby there is the Gobiodon genus of gobies that has quite some nice species. The newest one being G. howensis from Australia and the most yellow being G. okinawa from southern Japan to the southern reaches of the GBR.
I could always trust my Goby Geek coming through lol.

the yellow clown goby I could definitely replace instead of ywg al thought I’d be a bit upset haha.

it’s just a matter of finding them in Australia for sale that’s all

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could always trust my Goby Geek coming through lol.

the yellow clown goby I could definitely replace instead of ywg al thought I’d be a bit upset haha.

it’s just a matter of finding them in Australia for sale that’s all
Gobiodon okinawa should be pretty common since it has such a wide range (One of those being on the GBR). Certainly agree that finding fish is hard depending on the country. I’d love a Gobiodon howsoni but rarely see them and now I have the established Gobiodon strangulatus I don’t know if it would be possible.

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobiodon okinawa should be pretty common since it has such a wide range (One of those being on the GBR). Certainly agree that finding fish is hard depending on the country. I’d love a Gobiodon howsoni but rarely see them and now I have the established Gobiodon strangulatus I don’t know if it would be possible.
Where do you do all your goby research from? Do you have a main source?

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, you could add some Chalk Basslets. They are very peaceful and do well in a pair or as many as you want.
Also Firefish are amazing as long as you have a cover (just get one though). All they need is a little cave/burrow where they can hide (but they can often make one on their own given their are spots for them to do so).

Also Coral Croucher Gobys are amazing, but i've never seen one in person :(

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, you could add some Chalk Basslets. They are very peaceful and do well in a pair or as many as you want.
Also Firefish are amazing as long as you have a cover (just get one though). All they need is a little cave/burrow where they can hide (but they can often make one on their own given their are spots for them to do so).

Also Coral Croucher Gobys are amazing, but i've never seen one in person :(
I will mention, Coral Croucher gobies are part of the scorpionfish family but do look similar to your run of the mill clown goby.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back