Need some last minute tank advice...about to order

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been waffling back and forth on a custom tank size for weeks. I was all set on a 60in but now am having second thoughts. The tank is going in a corner with an external overflow, and no fish room. Since I cant access the entire back of the tank, it will be peninsula style so the plumbing is accessible. This also allows me to have the tank be 30in front to back. All pumps etc are on the peninsula wall. I also am one of those people who keeps the back glass clean. I am trying to keep it close to a standard size so the stand is reusable in case I ever get another tank.

Option 1: 60x30x24 (180g): I like the extra length. This is my dream size. But, I am worried about cleaning that much glass, the water volume, and the cost; its about $1200 more..but also needs an extra light for $800. It might be harder to provide flow due to the length. Its also more difficult to move, and, harder to relocate in the unlikely situation of a move. My wife is also not a big fan of 60in. Unfortunately, due to this length, I won't be able to have desk anymore (oh well!)

Option 2: 48x30x24 (150g): a little shorter, but not much (subjectively). Nearly all the tanks that have inspired me are ~50in. The size seems more manageable, and I think the back glass would be easier to clean; this and the prior tank are eurobraced so I am worried about ease of getting to the back glass. Its also cheaper, and less to light. I am worried the sump will be too small. But, it is a size I could move to another home if needed and allows me enough space to have my desk right next to it. But....I dont really need a desk that much anyways.

Cost difference is about 2k..peanuts in the whole tank long term cost, but at the same time...that pays for a lot of livestock, and a good chunk of automation.

Anyone gone 48 over 60 (or vice versa) and regretted it? Should I make it less deep?

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about premade corner bowfront tanks ? I have a 92g corner bowfront. Its 48x34x24. 34 front to back is very very deep. I gatta stand ona chair if i want to reach to very very back and im 6'2..

Im confused though you said itll be a corner shaped tank. If its a corner shaped tank then 48x30x24 isnt 150 gallons. Its about 90.

Or do you mean rectangle standard shaped tank but in a corner ? Im confused.

Also after going to a 6 foot tank at 72 inchs.. id never go back to a 48 inch long reef tank for square/rectangle shaped tanks anyway.

So id get the longer one

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big difference between 60 and 48. Big. What fish are you keeping. If your keeping any larger Tangs the 4’ tank is out IMO. I have a yellow and a tomani in a 4’. That’s pushing it. Any powder browns or blue Tangs.... 5’ plus. Again. Just my opinion. All that said.... I like 4’ tanks for maintenance and flow ease. I just size my fish accordingly.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get your dream tank. I’ve got a 74x34x24” in a corner peninsula style like you’re describing. And I also have my back clean and clear. If you’ve got the room, do it. Otherwise you’ll just have to upgrade again in a few years :). Check out my build thread if you like.

OP
OP
forestsofkelp

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about premade corner bowfront tanks ? I have a 92g corner bowfront. Its 48x34x24. 34 front to back is very very deep. I gatta stand ona chair if i want to reach to very very back and im 6'2..

Im confused though you said itll be a corner shaped tank. If its a corner shaped tank then 48x30x24 isnt 150 gallons. Its about 90.

Or do you mean rectangle standard shaped tank but in a corner ? Im confused.

Also after going to a 6 foot tank at 72 inchs.. id never go back to a 48 inch long reef tank for square/rectangle shaped tanks anyway.

So id get the longer one
It’s not a corner shaped tank, it’s just going in a corner...so only two sides viewable/full accessible.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you want to keep. Each foot is extra maintenance from water changes to glass cleaning to mixing 2 part. But, if you have your heart on particular fish, certain tangs for example, I would go large. If not, I would think of the maintenance.

OP
OP
forestsofkelp

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big difference between 60 and 48. Big. What fish are you keeping. If your keeping any larger Tangs the 4’ tank is out IMO. I have a yellow and a tomani in a 4’. That’s pushing it. Any powder browns or blue Tangs.... 5’ plus. Again. Just my opinion. All that said.... I like 4’ tanks for maintenance and flow ease. I just size my fish accordingly.

Good point. I don’t plan on keeping any tangs, but the option is nice. Sounds like you have had 4’ and 5’..hows a 5’ maintenance wise?
Regarding maintenance AFAIK its really just going to be glass cleaning. Most of the dosing will be automated. I am going DSR so no water changes. I am little worried about if I get a huge algae outbreak or something like that but the difference between a 4 and 5 won't be that much...I'll already be in deep

PDXmonkeyboy: Petco style hahaha

frank10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest going with the longer tank if you can fit it in.

Also, you don't have to have sps caliber lighting on every square inch of the tank.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s all about fit and stocking. I was able to keep the 2 Tangs (small yellow and Tamini) in a 4’ and a 4’ fit perfectly. I think 100-120 gallons Is just a great size. I also had weight to consider. And while I could have gone 150 + due to a steel beam in close proximity to the joists the tank is near, I didn’t feel like pushing it. Bigger everything at that point. Plus in the room my tank is in it would have been too awkward. 4’ was perfect. If my room was huge and I wanted a blue tang I would go 5 or 6 feet. Longer is better if it fits well. I need some room to move. Check out my build thread for 4’ tank size. It’s a 4x2x20 high.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater tank was/is an SCA 120g :)

I had the exact same thought. Had FW tanks for years, still do, wanted to get a Biocube but knew I would want to upgrade. I’m loving the SCA 120 and definitely don’t wish I started with something smaller. My advice is to get the biggest tank you feel comfortable with so you don’t jump into upgrading and waste money on a temporary set up. You can make water changes easy by pumping your water into your DT from any location. SCA makes great tanks too!
I went 5' .....what have I done

I think 4' would have been enough but 5 was only 30 gallons more and also gave me more room under the cabinet. Thanks for all the advice

And Josh that is a SWEET tiki reef that cabinet is killer.

Mahalo!

I’m sure you made the right choice.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went 5' .....what have I done

I think 4' would have been enough but 5 was only 30 gallons more and also gave me more room under the cabinet. Thanks for all the advice

And Josh that is a SWEET tiki reef that cabinet is killer.

good choice I have had 4' and 5' 6' and 8' tanks all are nice but I think you made the right choice gives you more options down the road with out going crazy.

BTW what is DSR?

OP
OP
forestsofkelp

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good choice I have had 4' and 5' 6' and 8' tanks all are nice but I think you made the right choice gives you more options down the road with out going crazy.

BTW what is DSR?
DSR is Dutch Synthetic Reef, a reef keeping method without water changes. It seems to be rather successful as long as you are on top of your parameters.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSR is Dutch Synthetic Reef, a reef keeping method without water changes. It seems to be rather successful as long as you are on top of your parameters.
I run a modified DSR on my 120. I set it up that way from day one.
Now my 120 seems small, lol.
Next tank will be 96x 36x 24.
Bigger is better if you have the space.
I have a tomini and convict tang plus a foxface, all will go into the next tank.
The 120 is really to small for the convict, imo.
It has grown very fast from a 2" skinny thing to an almost 5" fatboy.

OP
OP
forestsofkelp

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so like trition?

it’s like home brew triton. It’s older, and you do your own testing. Also big focus on detritus removal via a dedicated pump. There’s a few good threads on r2r about it. Look up Glennf, Glenn Fong or Google DSR. Even if not interested, the chemistry is quite interesting and very clever. Phosphate is removed via precipitation, for example.

90’s reefer that’s good to hear. Hopefully I have the same succes you have had.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back