Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let some food decay to raise nitrates or
I have been over feeding for the past two weeks with zero raise in any nutrients. Hence the desire to experiment with neophos and neonitro.

Feeding more won’t be effective for po4 no3
Get a correctly sized uv
Get a microscope and it your Dino and read the Dino tread for specific treatment https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/
I did scope them and I believe it is the harder Dino species to get rid of. The one that stays on the rocks/sand and doesn’t go into the water column at night so UV won’t work. I’ll try and get a picture tomorrow of them to share just in case.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nick Steele

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been over feeding for the past two weeks with zero raise in any nutrients. Hence the desire to experiment with neophos and neonitro.

I did scope them and I believe it is the harder Dino species to get rid of. The one that stays on the rocks/sand and doesn’t go into the water column at night so UV won’t work. I’ll try and get a picture tomorrow of them to share just in case.
Well welcome to the club than. I am a proud owner of small and large cell Amphidinium

I’m my case uv still helps but these have specific tread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/amphidinium-dinoflagellate-treatment-methods.365850/ and based on the success stories SI dosing is the treatment works for most with bacteria diversity improvement like mod in the sump etc. This will make diatoms to bloom and looks like gets these buggers get in place. Diatoms die out by themselves in a few weeks.
Good luck with your battle

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.06 ml may not do much. I also was very cautious and went slow at first. So buy extra packets for the Hanna!! I add 6ml a day or a capful if the cat ran off with my syringe.

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.06 ml may not do much. I also was very cautious and went slow at first. So buy extra packets for the Hanna!! I add 6ml a day or a capful if the cat ran off with my syringe.
Bottle says 1ml will raise 1 gallon to 1.2ppm. So 1ml should raise 16G to .07. I’m aiming for .05 phosphate so I’ll start slowly and go from there. Hopefully my rock has some bound to it but we shall see.
Already have 20 test ready to go! Lol

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some bad pics of what I believe are Dino’s. Sorry bad microscope will try to obtain a better one soon.

1087EDAC-E438-42A9-8610-BBA4B4F442BE.jpeg
017DCA43-4CDF-4E87-8D72-E2C65E90CC54.jpeg

I did dose .05ml today and didn’t see a raise so I will dose again on Wednesday since I won’t be home tomorrow

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't make it out conclusively on species, but you do have some dinos. Likely an amphidinium but without movement hard to guess. Get video if you can. Some diatoms too (which is good).

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some bad pics of what I believe are Dino’s. Sorry bad microscope will try to obtain a better one soon.

1087EDAC-E438-42A9-8610-BBA4B4F442BE.jpeg
017DCA43-4CDF-4E87-8D72-E2C65E90CC54.jpeg

I did dose .05ml today and didn’t see a raise so I will dose again on Wednesday since I won’t be home tomorrow
They are dinos but I am not an ID guy. Post it to the Dino forum there are experts to do that.

As per dosing your maths doesn’t add up. You would need 7.76ml for 0.7ppm but I would shoot for over 1ppm. In the first few days in my experience you wouldn’t see the increase after half a day. Dose in the evening and check in the morning and dose again if needed and check in the evening again....
It took me 3-4 days to get a stable”ish” figure

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a short version at the bottom.

Tank is a Nuvo 20 that has 2 AI 16hds for lights and only filtration is Filter floss and Rubble rock and water changes.

Hello everyone I have a curious question regarding some sps and my phosphate and nitrate levels. 3 sps corals where added about 6 weeks ago. I believe they are slowly getting use to my tank as they are growing slightly but after the addition they all lost color and browned out. I ran into an issue about 4 weeks ago when I noticed my phos dropped from .03-.06 to 0 and nitrate stayed at 0. This caused Dino’s that are clinging to my rocks (I did scope them). So I started to feed heavy. 1/4 cube mysis or equivalent of rods food and 1/8tsp of reef roids daily for just 2 clownfish. I didn’t think much of it as I assumed my levels would raise but I checked this past weekend and nothing 0/0 again.

So I ordered neophos and neonitro to help bring my levels up. While waiting for them to arrive I slowly started to notice that all 3 of the sps frags are starting to color up better. Pink lemonade went from completely purple to starting to regain some yellow/green to it. A rainbow Millie is doing the same thing has some green/red now. Pc rainbow is also starting to show some greens.

While I’m still showing 0/0 phos and nitrate I’m curious if I should ride it out for a little to let the sps gain some colors or should I start dosing to help eliminate the Dino’s?

Short version:
losing a battle with Dino’s and 0/0 phos and nitrate. Sps are starting to look better though so should I start dosing neophos and neonitro to increase my numbers or try to ride out the Dino’s itself?

Full tank shot
D1220030-8929-444C-89CF-E5F6539C3FDC.jpeg

Pink lemonade (before and after)
95FDC175-7955-4F25-AF07-CEBD023CE5FB.jpeg
FAB8CCF8-A170-4938-B929-32A617764042.jpeg
I haven't veen ae to read all the responses but here is my experience with Neophos and Neonitro, The phos is strong so only go a quarter to half of recomended dose. Neonitro, while it says it can be used with Neophose I noticed it dropped my phos to zero after the Neophose gor my tank to 0.03 steady for a month. So I dropped Neonitro and just feed more, things are balancing better.

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per dosing your maths doesn’t add up. You would need 7.76ml for 0.7ppm but I would shoot for over 1ppm.
1ml of neophos will raise 1 gallon of water to 1.2ppm phosphate. So 1ml in 16 gallons would yield .075 so I cut that down to .5ml and should result in .03ish phosphate. Please check my math though.

Aiming for .03ppm phosphate not .7ppm

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't make it out conclusively on species, but you do have some dinos. Likely an amphidinium but without movement hard to guess. Get video if you can. Some diatoms too (which is good).
Okay yeah diatoms that’s what those rod thingys are! I knew them from college but couldn’t place them thanks!

They don’t have much movement to them as I sandwiched them between slide as my microscope isn’t a good one and can’t handle movement at all lol. Not to concerned on an excite specie Id as just knowing it was Dino’s so I can do the right thing. Will keep updated how this all works out.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay yeah diatoms that’s what those rod thingys are! I knew them from college but couldn’t place them thanks!

They don’t have much movement to them as I sandwiched them between slide as my microscope isn’t a good one and can’t handle movement at all lol. Not to concerned on an excite specie Id as just knowing it was Dino’s so I can do the right thing. Will keep updated how this all works out.

UV works for MOST species, just not large amphidinium. Can you spring for one? The good ones are pricey.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV works for MOST species, just not large amphidinium. Can you spring for one? The good ones are pricey.
There is one specifically made for the Nuvo tanks. It’s a 9 watt (which is good for 20 gallon Nuvo tank) and it’s not too expensive, $50

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too crazy to run a up but it is an option if I need to $50 isn’t expensive at all. Although that doesn’t look like the best setup but maybe it works.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back