Need some Quick help

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a 1 year old established tank that had all top of the line equipment and fish. Only 1 hairy mushroom for coral. waterbox 130.4. I moved it to my house about 45 minutes away. I replaced all the sand with new sand but everything else is from previous owner. It's been at my house for about a month. Fish are doing great. My problem is there has been an outbreak of algae on the rocks, pumps, a little in the sand. It doesnt like high flow or direct light. Has bubbles in the algae. I think it it green haired algae or maybe turf. The tank came with a frag rack that looks like a rock and magnets to the overflow. about 8x6". it was covered so i took it out , hit it with really hot water, scrubbed and put it back. Next day the thing looked like it came out of the factory. Its not tall at all, but is growing all over. I have included some pictures. The tank has an algae scrubber currently running 12 hours a day, opposite lights. I'm not a noob, been doing salt water tanks for 30 years. I knew better then to take on used tank .

Tanks Parameters
Temp 78
PPT 35
DkH 7.3 (Raising it slowly to 8.5)
Nitrates 1
Phosphates 0

I wondering if the algae if fueling itself from phosphates and that is why they are so low.
If its green hair I've heard that raising the DKH helps.

Im feeding fish like crazy to raise nitrates and phosphates.

Today I took 2 of the rocks out, hit with 3% hydrogen peroxide and scrubbed. Rinsed with RODI water. I know I probably need 35% but besides ordering it not sure where to get it.

The worst part is I have a bunch of coral being delivered tomorrow from WWC. Going to keep on frag rack until I can figure this out.

I scraped some of the algae of magnet it was completely covered.

I do have microscope so about to do that.
20210519_124416.jpg
20210519_133739.jpg
20210519_133753.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hair algae. Reduce white light intensity for starters. Add cleaner crew such as TURBO, ASTREA, NERITE, CERITH AND TROCHUS SNAILS AND ABOUT 6-8 SMALL CARIBBEAN BLUE LEG HERMITS WHO WILL KEEP THIS STUFF AT BAY.

Are you using tap water from faucet or RODI water?
Is tank at or near a window ?

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is from under microscope
20210519_142014.jpg

Hair algae. Reduce white light intensity for starters. Add cleaner crew such as TURBO, ASTREA, NERITE, CERITH AND TROCHUS SNAILS AND ABOUT 6-8 SMALL CARIBBEAN BLUE LEG HERMITS WHO WILL KEEP THIS STUFF AT BAY.

Are you using tap water from faucet or RODI water?
Is tank at or near a window ?
No, rodi water. Already have added 5 turbos and 5 astreas. Have 7 more trochus coming tomorrow.

Yes unfortunately it is near a window. Back is against wall but definitely sunlight near.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using reefcleaners.org cleaner packages. Lots of diversity and cheap. If you end up ordering from them just get the package for 1/2 your tank size.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is from under microscope
20210519_142014.jpg

No, rodi water. Already have added 5 turbos and 5 astreas. Have 7 more trochus coming tomorrow.

Yes unfortunately it is near a window. Back is against wall but definitely sunlight near.
As suspected, the indirect sunlight may ne contributing and supporting this algae. If its hitting the side of the tank, black construction paper will filter the sunlight.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna try that. It's only the last 2 hours of the day that really hit just the one corner.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back