Need Suggestions For Mantis Tank Inhabitants

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 8 gallon mantis shrimp biocube. It has VERY weak led lighting but so far it can support mushrooms and macroalgae. It contains, discus mushrooms, blue ochtodes, flame algae, fire fern, large feather duster, hermit crabs and of course my mantis shrimp. So far the mushrooms aren't stretching for light and the macro is growing but according to my lux meter I'm getting very low par from these lights. I'm looking for suggestions for interesting inhabitants. Not really looking to add corals other than my mushrooms but something else oddball that isn't too tough to care for. Anything you think might be interesting that doesn't need a lot of light and I don't have to feed 3 times a day. Not planning on adding any fish. Thanks for any suggestions.

9765aec2.jpg

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your Mantis shrimp? Any hermit crabs in my tank quickly become a meal so I'm surprised you can keep them around.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your Mantis shrimp? Any hermit crabs in my tank quickly become a meal so I'm surprised you can keep them around.

About 2 inches. He doesn't bother the hermits too often and most of them may be too large to take down easily. I keep him well fed with krill so he's a bit lazy.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda like the look of the shaving brush algae. The one thing with the green algae is that you may struggle with keeping them alive due to the lighting.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back