Need suggestions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys
I was traveling over this weekend so from Friday till Sunday I was not able to answer emails or texts.
I am going to in my office in 30 min and will start to respond to 89 emails and 163 texts that I accumulated in 2 days.
Please bare with me as you see this is not an easy task to handle that much flow of electronic communication.
Even if I hired help it will still need to me communicated to be before answering, only thing I will be saving is typing the answer myself.
I need to come up with a better solution, any suggestions are welcome.
Please advise.

Wrigley&Ivy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, you need a helper. Even if someone saved you time typing, that’s valuable time. I’m type A and asking and accepting help is extremely hard for me. However, I have found for my own sanity it is necessary. Please find someone and try them out (on a temp basis) just to see if changing your work flow helps you out. I’m in Ark so we are close neighbor!

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am type A myself and like to do things myself but now that way things are going and growing I can only see 1 thing happening if I don't get a grip on it and that is people will stop ordering. So help is necessary. Thank you

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys
I was traveling over this weekend so from Friday till Sunday I was not able to answer emails or texts.
I am going to in my office in 30 min and will start to respond to 89 emails and 163 texts that I accumulated in 2 days.
Please bare with me as you see this is not an easy task to handle that much flow of electronic communication.
Even if I hired help it will still need to me communicated to be before answering, only thing I will be saving is typing the answer myself.
I need to come up with a better solution, any suggestions are welcome.
Please advise.
Are all of these emails and texts important?

Are any of them FYI’s, acknowledgements, or other general info?

Do your subordinates know not to send unnecessary emails & texts?

Do you block or junk mail senders that shouldn’t be sending you emails?

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I am type A myself and like to do things myself but now that way things are going and growing I can only see 1 thing happening if I don't get a grip on it and that is people will stop ordering. So help is necessary. Thank you
Mike, I can imagine that dealing with people the way you have been dealing with me takes a lot of time from you. For what it is worth, from the consumer side, you have been incredible to work with. I am blown away with your "I don't do it for the money" personality. You do this for the good of the hobby and it shows. We've been dealing with one another regarding my order of storm trooper clowns, among other fish. I was impressed with your responses that I had to share them with my wife. So you're doing right by my books.

As for your question. Looking back on life, I realize how much less stressful the military could have been for me if I learned much earlier to delegate things to others. I trained others to do what I expected of them and then I mistakenly didn't trust I trained them well enough. I just had to do things myself. Well, hundreds of grey hairs later, I wish I would have trusted in my own abilities to train them, then supervise them. Even now as an attorney, I reflect on issues at work and realize that there are somethings I simply have to tell someone else to do.

Sounds like you need help. Challenge yourself to see how best you can train someone. What I used as a tool to measure my own success in training others was seeing how well my trainee could anticipate my needs/choices. Could they come to the same conclusion as I would have without intervention? If so, they are ready for delegation. If not, keep training. Above all, aim to teach them to anticipate conclusions and decisions.

The last bit I will say, I have always been amazed at what a title will do to someone. A title has the ability to place a greater sense of responsibility on workers, and motivate them to reach higher in their workplaces. For instance, what if you hired an "office manager" or "technology supervisor" or "media manager" instead of a "helper." This won't work for all but if you choose the right worker, you'll be amazed at what that small title will do for them.

Mike, you're doing amazing things for the hobby. I feel blessed to have stumbled across your site. Take care of yourself and don't burn the candle on both ends. You can always feel free to push my orders back and focus on others. Just let me know.

Edit: I said titles are worth a lot didn't I? Well Mike, you get the title of being the recipient of my 1,000th post.

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all of these emails and texts important?

Are any of them FYI’s, acknowledgements, or other general info?

Do your subordinates know not to send unnecessary emails & textemails?
PeterC99 has great points---I'd even look at building up your FAQs with the most asked questions that are similar. If you add someone to help manage the front-end of the office, this will be a time saver. Also, I'd recommend looking into FreshDesk or Zendesk---I've recommended these to several clients and many have seen an upside to more time to work on other things.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back