Need Suggestions!

lholmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first post!!
I’m new to the hobby, and just got my first ever tank! ( Fluval 13.5). I am planning on a couple of corals, and some clown fish. I have been doing so much research these past few months to prepare for the tank. I added Bio- Spira, and it claims to instantly cycle a tank, is this true? I also have live rock, and live sand to help with the cycle and make it run smoother. Should I wait until I add livestock even though I’ve added Bio- Spira, or should i be good to go with adding livestock?. I’m all up for suggestions!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board!

bio spira does “insta-start” a tank but you will need to test the water to confirm the cycle is indeed over. you can add live stock shortly after adding the bacteria. just still monitor your parameters!

i wouldn’t add more than 1, or 2 fish though!!

OP
OP
lholmes

lholmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board!

bio spira does “insta-start” a tank but you will need to test the water to confirm the cycle is indeed over. you can add live stock shortly after adding the bacteria. just still monitor your parameters!

i wouldn’t add more than 1, or 2 fish though!!
Thank you so much! I think I will test in a couple of days and see where that takes me!

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id always let my tank run for at least a week even with that stuff and slowly add fish in.You can add a couple snails or hermits before then and get 1 or 2 hardy fish after a week. After about 2 weeks try a hardy coral but tip with a nano choose some slower growing hardy coral or make an island with rock for some easy fast spreading coral till you figure it out. That way you find out what you want and one type of coral doesn't take over before you want to try another type.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R and to the hobby @lholmes ! @shakacuz gave some great advise to wait a bit and test your water! What fish do you plan on keeping in your tank? :)

Last edited:

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Welcome!

You will still want to give the tank some time to do a natural cycle. the most important thing is to stay on top of those parameters. What kind of coral are you looking to add?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back