OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got back from the store and here is what happened. They never admitted it was their fault but said accidents do happen. He was very nice and asked what kind of resolution I would like in this case. I said I would appreciate some good deals on some frags and for them to help me get back up and running again. He said he could help me with most of them if I'm okay with frags with the exception of some. He said to give him a call in about a week or so when I'm ready to restock it and he will be willing to help. To what extent I don't know. I know he said pieces like the superman I will have to pay some but not sure how much.

He also said he is now labeling the pipes to both the RO and Saltwater system. Currently they are unlabeled and so I can see how the mistake could happen. They said the store wasn't ever liable for situations like this but is willing to help. In a way I think it was kind of blamed on the size of the tank and them being "notoriously hard" to take care of as well as me not double checking the water (valid point). While I agree that swings can happen at a much fast rate, I've had almost nothing but success with it until this happened. Sounds like we are on the right track.

PS here is my newest addition. I've done months of research before purchasing them. I had a tank that's been running for almost a year but is empty and have been contemplating on a species specific tank. I landed on these 3 dragon faced pipefish. I've named them after the dragons in game of thrones. Meet Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal. They are already eating very well. (I have a gigantic pod population in it).

Attachments

• 3 Dragons.jpg
    3 Dragons.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 245

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just got back from the store and here is what happened. They never admitted it was their fault but said accidents do happen. He was very nice and asked what kind of resolution I would like in this case. I said I would appreciate some good deals on some frags and for them to help me get back up and running again. He said he could help me with most of them if I'm okay with frags with the exception of some. He said to give him a call in about a week or so when I'm ready to restock it and he will be willing to help. To what extent I don't know. I know he said pieces like the superman I will have to pay some but not sure how much.

He also said he is now labeling the pipes to both the RO and Saltwater system. Currently they are unlabeled and so I can see how the mistake could happen. They said the store wasn't ever liable for situations like this but is willing to help. In a way I think it was kind of blamed on the size of the tank and them being "notoriously hard" to take care of as well as me not double checking the water (valid point). While I agree that swings can happen at a much fast rate, I've had almost nothing but success with it until this happened. Sounds like we are on the right track.

PS here is my newest addition. I've done months of research before purchasing them. I had a tank that's been running for almost a year but is empty and have been contemplating on a species specific tank. I landed on these 3 dragon faced pipefish. I've named them after the dragons in game of thrones. Meet Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal. They are already eating very well. (I have a gigantic pod population in it).
I am so jealous right now! They are on my dream list! More pics!!!

CAMAKAZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The opposite happend to me. Got ro instead of salt from a lfs. Did a water change an poured 5 g ro into a 56 gallon reef. It was weird u could see all the fresh sitting on top. I did lose a coral beauty.

As far as your situation i dont know how i feel. I think u should meet somewhere in the middle.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The opposite happend to me. Got ro instead of salt from a lfs. Did a water change an poured 5 g ro into a 56 gallon reef. It was weird u could see all the fresh sitting on top. I did lose a coral beauty.

As far as your situation i dont know how i feel. I think u should meet somewhere in the middle.

Sorry to hear about your coral beauty. I am glad that you were able to figure it out quickly.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its nasty but, I usually do a quick finger lick for both RO and SW before going in the tank/ATO container. I could use a cheap hydrometer but there's no need. Sorry for your loss. Livestock for some are irreplaceable and I'm one of them. It sucks to see them grow and then one day just have gone the next day. Take a breather and reassess. I do hope your LFS can make it right for you.

My LFS did just the opposite. Luckily I caught it quickly and it only a 15% change. I do the same now!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start over and know this is a lesson.....

I have seen problems and crashes posted again and again from LFS water. Sometimes all it takes is a screw or nail to get in their mixing bucket.

Trust no one but yourself. Buy a RODI unit.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start over and know this is a lesson.....

I have seen problems and crashes posted again and again from LFS water. Sometimes all it takes is a screw or nail to get in their mixing bucket.

Trust no one but yourself. Buy a RODI unit.

Yeah, it certainly doesn't take a lot to get the chemistry off. Lesson learned the hard way! Double and triple check everything.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sueing the LFS? Come on America.

Are you kidding? People sue for all sorts of reasons when damages occur. You have a reasonable expectation to not be given toxic substances (salt water) from your LFS. It's not malicious at all. If the store is not reasonable and help the individual restock their tank, then yes I would sue them. The world is not some charity. It's business.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has 2 pipes with valves labelled for Salt and RODI respectively. You pay for the water you want in the quantity you want, then you fill your containers yourself. Smart!

Glad to hear you are getting some cooperation from your LFS. Most of the LFS's are a business of passion and don't really make a lot of money for the efforts they put in. They will definitely be more diligent in the future not to make mistakes and it is quite a show of your character to enable them to have a chance to help you recover from your losses, even if only in part you are fortunate.

Sue them...C'mon.
What would happen if there were no LFS's due to having liability exceed opportunity?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you kidding? People sue for all sorts of reasons when damages occur. You have a reasonable expectation to not be given toxic substances (salt water) from your LFS. It's not malicious at all. If the store is not reasonable and help the individual restock their tank, then yes I would sue them. The world's is not some charity. It's business.

Salt water isn't toxic..it's not going to harm human life. Palythoas are toxic and they sell those even though it could kill a child. I am pretty sure they don't come with warning labels. Now that might be something to sue about. OFC then corals might just get banned. Rather than figure out which ones are toxic...ban them all...that is usually how laws seem to go.

Let's sue the LFS because they sold me a sick fish and it killed all my other fish. It is their fault for knowingly running low levels of copper and deceiving others.

We going to sue companies when a heater fails and cooks everything? A float switch fails? I expect companies to sell me working equipment.

I wouldn't sue over something so stupid but I would double check the water before using it. Redundancy in this hobby goes a long way.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt water isn't toxic..it's not going to harm human life. Palythoas are toxic and they sell those even though it could kill a child. I am pretty sure they don't come with warning labels. Now that might be something to sue about. OFC then corals might just get banned. Rather than figure out which ones are toxic...ban them all...that is usually how laws seem to go.

Let's sue the LFS because they sold me a sick fish and it killed all my other fish. It is their fault for knowingly running low levels of copper and deceiving others.

We going to sue companies when a heater fails and cooks everything? A float switch fails? I expect companies to sell me working equipment.

I wouldn't sue over something so stupid but I would double check the water before using it. Redundancy in this hobby goes a long way.

First off you are either intentionally or unintentionally arguing semantics about the word "toxic." That's pointless because you are ignoring my real point, that a substance was sold mislabeled and thus injurious to the customer.

You don't check salinity of RODI water. Nobody does that. Do a poll on this site.
Ask how many people that purchase RODI or distilled water actually check the salinity of the RODI.
Then get back to me.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lessons learned. Check, prep, dip or QT everything you put into your reef if you are concerned about "toxicity", disease or unwanted parasites. That lesson is echoed all over on every reef discussion and expert reef keeping advise discussion. You roll the dice with everything you put into your reef system including yourself!

Q: Do I get my water from the LFS?
A: Yes.

Q: Do I check the parameters of all water I introduce into my system, RODI, Mixed Saltwater, self mixed water from reef salt?

Q: Why do I do it?
A: (1) Simple. Experts recommend checking parameters as that is the first question ANY reefer asks when presented with a problem, be it theirs or others they are trying to help. (2) it is a quick and easy test taking less than 30 seconds with a Milwaukee tester and (3) LESSONS LEARNED.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lessons learned. Check, prep, dip or QT everything you put into your reef if you are concerned about "toxicity", disease or unwanted parasites. That lesson is echoed all over on every reef discussion and expert reef keeping advise discussion. You roll the dice with everything you put into your reef system including yourself!

Q: Do I get my water from the LFS?

Q: Do I check the parameters of all water I introduce into my system, RODI, Mixed Saltwater, self mixed water from reef salt?

Q: Why do I do it?
A: (1) Simple. Experts recommend checking parameters as that is the first question ANY reefer asks when presented with a problem, be it theirs or others they are trying to help. (2) it is a quick and easy test taking less than 30 seconds with a Milwaukee tester and (3) LESSONS LEARNED.

You know what... I think you're right here. How hard is it to do a quick TDS check of RODI water? The meters are cheap and easy to use

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back