need to buy dry rock whos got the best price?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm picking up a 220 this Sunday and I want to have my rock on hand to work on the aquascape while it fills, whos got the best prices out there online? for reef ready/macro rock, my primary go-to is BRS, just want to get a good deal on about 100 -150lb of this stuff. i do not want to aquascape in the water so im passing on live rock or should i?
Capture.PNG

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well..you probably watched the BRStv five minute guide on rock. They recommend the cultured rock that ships in towels. Not true live rock (and it's pests) nor is it the start from scratch bare rock you pictured.

Pro's/Cons to both:

The "dry" rock let's you build your aquascape on your timeline and try lots of different designs. You can use a template that matches your tank size and let your artistic side go nuts. Several threads on here doing just that if you want to look. Downside is it's going to take a lot longer to get a healthy colony of bacteria growing since the whole thing is "sterile". Even with the "bacteria in a bottle" I don't think you get the same benefits as if you used "live" rock. I'm not an expert though. Another downside might be the likelihood of a longer/bigger "ugly" phase. But once again...the advantage is you can "preview" your design and mess with it as much as you want...even upload pics and get feedback

The "live" rock basically flips the pro/con from the dry rock. You have to keep it moist so unless you are planning to keep it in a trash can then you pretty much have to be ready to put this stuff in the tank when it arrives. You also have to glue it while in the water so that's a little more difficult...but not impossible. Once again...lots of forum posts here to look at.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
longer ugly phase, got it i went with live rock on my current running 150 reef, but my wife wants this tank to have more arches pass thrus and overhangs.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well..you probably watched the BRStv five minute guide on rock. They recommend the cultured rock that ships in towels. Not true live rock (and it's pests) nor is it the start from scratch bare rock you pictured.

Pro's/Cons to both:

The "dry" rock let's you build your aquascape on your timeline and try lots of different designs. You can use a template that matches your tank size and let your artistic side go nuts. Several threads on here doing just that if you want to look. Downside is it's going to take a lot longer to get a healthy colony of bacteria growing since the whole thing is "sterile". Even with the "bacteria in a bottle" I don't think you get the same benefits as if you used "live" rock. I'm not an expert though. Another downside might be the likelihood of a longer/bigger "ugly" phase. But once again...the advantage is you can "preview" your design and mess with it as much as you want...even upload pics and get feedback

The "live" rock basically flips the pro/con from the dry rock. You have to keep it moist so unless you are planning to keep it in a trash can then you pretty much have to be ready to put this stuff in the tank when it arrives. You also have to glue it while in the water so that's a little more difficult...but not impossible. Once again...lots of forum posts here to look at.

You can remove live rock from water to glue/drill/cement it. Will be fine out of water a while. I usually toss a wet towel over it while things set up.

I’m about to do this with my TBS live rock. Gonna chisel it up and use hydraulic cement. Maybe some acrylic rods.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back