Need to find a home for reef tank w/creatures ASAP!

Dan Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rather nice 57 Gal Reef tank in a property I own. I know nothing about caring for these creatures and even if I did, I have to go back home, out-of-town in a few days and will have to leave these creatures to die if I can't find a home for them right away! This is in Pflugerv ille which is just outside of Austin, TX. Looking at the tank setup and products for it, it appears to be worth at least $2000. As for the creatures, there is coral, anemones, hermit crabs, shrimp, snails, at least one starfish and an orange fish I can't identity. I really have no idea what the fauna is worth. If anyone knows of someone interested in this setup and capable of having it moved in the next couple days, please let me know.

0108191456.jpg

0108191511a.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you selling the set up ? If you are prcices will help

It is possible for you to keep them alive

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to be able to identify tank size and a few inhabitants prices would help 2k I doubt maybe a local fish store would take the fish and coral instead of just letting them die due to you having to leave

OP
OP
Dan Newman

Dan Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you selling the set up ? If you are prcices will help

It is possible for you to keep them alive
I'm hoping to recover a bit of the value, but I'm more concerned about getting them a home. I was thinking something like $990 for the whole thing is probably reasonable. The plumbing setup inside the stand is pretty extensive.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no one buys it, seems expensive for a 57 gallon with stand and all (used). I would contact the local fish store to at least get the living creatures out and then you can sell the equipment at your leisure.

OP
OP
Dan Newman

Dan Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no one buys it, seems expensive for a 57 gallon with stand and all (used). I would contact the local fish store to at least get the living creatures out and then you can sell the equipment at your leisure.
I'll definitely consider that. Thanks!

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank, is exactly what i am looking for but just to far away.
FYI, can't see the lights in your post but those are probably your most valuable components. General rule for used tanks 2-3 or so dollars per gallon, another dollar for stand, and dollar for sump. Pumps and heater etc are not going to cost as much as the lights. 2nd suggestion to donate livestock to a local shop then sell hardware.

OP
OP
Dan Newman

Dan Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. We had a change of plans and moved to the house where the tank is installed. We've decided to keep the tank for now. Disaster averted. Thanks for your advise!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back