Need to purchase a RODI unit that is both effective and reasonably priced

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this pump seem to you reefers? It’s very reasonably priced, at $44, compared to everything I’ve seen. And it appears to me, at least, like a quality pump 3C764DEB-69C0-493A-AD17-727C3BD53A10.png

I don't have any experience or knowledge of this pump. I use the Aquatec 8800 myself.
I'm sure that one would work, but I can't recommend or speak to it's quality/performance.

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start basic you can add and remove as needed down the road as you tune the system. But having extra filters up front doesn't hurt you can use them in a different sequence later or even as media reactors later on your tank.

To start I would say start with a 5 stage minimum, but more wouldn't hurt if you don't mind the incremental cost increase.

I'd run a 1 micron sediment followed by a 1 or 5 micron carbon being on well water you probably don't have chloramines to worry about (depending on what feeds your well you could have some other nasty VOCs and need a second carbon, but you can always add on later, so you don't necessarily need 2 from the start).

If you want to save some water I would say get 2 ROs otherwise you could trim some cost and run a single RO membrane.

1 mixed bed DI cart. This is another instance where down the road you could change to 2, 3, or even 4 DI housings depending on how you decide to tune the system.

1 will be fine for now, but if you notice you burn through it quickly you will likely want to add an additional DI housing(s).

So 2 pre-filters (sediment and carbon), 1 RO (or 2) membrane, and 1 DI housing. Brings your total to a 4 (or 5) stage system recommend minimum.

Then down the road you can always add additional sediment, carbon, RO, and DI housings as needed. Being that you have well water I would assume (but this could be wrong based on your source water parameters) you will want additional housings down the road. Which is why I recommend at least a 6 stage (2 RO, and 2 DI). If you find you blow through sediment or carbon you can always add in another and step them down from say 5 micron to the 1 micron, but again all this is for later evaluation.

4 stage bare minimum, 5-6 would probably be ideal, and 7+ would be best. It's all up to how crazy or simple you want to go with this and how much cleaner you want the water to be. Of course best practice would be 7+ stages, however people with great source water can produce ultra pure water with less, so again it's all about how 'bad'/impure your source water is, but as you know you can certainly run a tank without any too.
I’ll be looking at the 5-6stage if $ can be covered. Thanks

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get as many filters as your budget allows, but if you do have low water pressure it sounds like you'll need a booster.
I really do appreciate your reply Woody. I found one, about $130. My thinking is, since I have no idea of my main psi, i’m going to make the purchase of an Amazon unit. I have at least three weeks before I’m going to do a water change, so I will give it a try on its own merit. If it turns out I need a booster pump, then I’m forced to close up the extra $$$. But it will not be as bad as I originally thought.

So I’m going to go through the rest of the replies to see if any other refers offered different pertinent information. It seems like the best route to take, at the moment

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to get what you don't need but if you need an RO membrane you're going to have to get a booster pump as they don't work well below rated input pressure. Common with well systems to need booster pumps. You can find them $50-100.
You are most helpful Qt.
No need to get what you don't need but if you need an RO membrane you're going to have to get a booster pump as they don't work well below rated input pressure. Common with well systems to need booster pumps. You can find them $50-100.
The trick is QT, what I don’t need, I don’t know if I need or not. So my thinking is I go with a six stage once add $130. That I can afford. Then I can go with a reasonable booster if needed. So I put out $150+. That I can do

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. You can always purchase upgraded units but I'm only referring to the most basic units. I knew someone was going to mention this but thought I was being obvious. If you compare apples to apples, BRS, no-go.

Like I said, you do not need extra stages if you do 1 micron or less pre-filters. Don't let markeget cha.
The unit I’m looking at, I have to double check if it is 1 micron or less

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start basic you can add and remove as needed down the road as you tune the system. But having extra filters up front doesn't hurt you can use them in a different sequence later or even as media reactors later on your tank.

To start I would say start with a 5 stage minimum, but more wouldn't hurt if you don't mind the incremental cost increase.

I'd run a 1 micron sediment followed by a 1 or 5 micron carbon being on well water you probably don't have chloramines to worry about (depending on what feeds your well you could have some other nasty VOCs and need a second carbon, but you can always add on later, so you don't necessarily need 2 from the start).

If you want to save some water I would say get 2 ROs otherwise you could trim some cost and run a single RO membrane.

1 mixed bed DI cart. This is another instance where down the road you could change to 2, 3, or even 4 DI housings depending on how you decide to tune the system.

1 will be fine for now, but if you notice you burn through it quickly you will likely want to add an additional DI housing(s).

So 2 pre-filters (sediment and carbon), 1 RO (or 2) membrane, and 1 DI housing. Brings your total to a 4 (or 5) stage system recommend minimum.

Then down the road you can always add additional sediment, carbon, RO, and DI housings as needed. Being that you have well water I would assume (but this could be wrong based on your source water parameters) you will want additional housings down the road. Which is why I recommend at least a 6 stage (2 RO, and 2 DI). If you find you blow through sediment or carbon you can always add in another and step them down from say 5 micron to the 1 micron, but again all this is for later evaluation.

4 stage bare minimum, 5-6 would probably be ideal, and 7+ would be best. It's all up to how crazy or simple you want to go with this and how much cleaner you want the water to be. Of course best practice would be 7+ stages, however people with great source water can produce ultra pure water with less, so again it's all about how 'bad'/impure your source water is, but as you know you can certainly run a tank without any too.

I only have one positive at this point, and that is I do not pay for my water. It’s covered why the complex. There is a God! LOL

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to take this last moment to thank you refers they gave me so much information. SO MUCH that my brain is swimming. That’s still a good thing. I’m going to go with these two units. My thinking is, at Amazon, I have 30 days for a return policy. So, I’ll have my pump on hand if need be.

I will certainly come back and bing you all up to speed. So many reffers have helped me with this and other topics, Some without even realizing it.

D372A13C-41BC-4B92-955D-E3F8D173DB05.png AA81565A-8FA5-42EA-8E65-F89D27F40B59.png

Kazumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the picture of the pump it has a brass or bronze head on it. It may or may not leach lead into your water. For the RO itself, look around for a used setup, and just put in good filters into it. There was two for sale just last week that you could combine into a 7 stage system for only $100 less the filters. On here the used RO units tend to go a little high, look on Ebay or craigslist.

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So
You could always skip the DI as well if you really wanted to trim cost and just run 3 stages (sediment, carbon, RO). It wouldn't be giving you ultra pure water, but it would significantly improve vs straight from the well.

You have plenty of options, it's up to you how far you want to go with this.
Let’s hope I don’t go too far or I’ll be looking for another place to live.

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the picture of the pump it has a brass or bronze head on it. It may or may not leach lead into your water. For the RO itself, look around for a used setup, and just put in good filters into it. There was two for sale just last week that you could combine into a 7 stage system for only $100 less the filters. On here the used RO units tend to go a little high, look on Ebay or craigslist.
I’ve always been skeptical of eBay. As for craigslist I don’t trust that even a little bit. Of course I could be missing out on some really great deals, sometimes you’re better off not having.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That RO Unit looks like it has proprietary filters, and not the standard ones.

I could be wrong but it looks similar to my RO Buddie, which might be ok but you have to use their filters.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers. So my 55 gallon is 9 months young. My water parameters are excellent, except….Isn’t there always an except?

My GH. It’s the first time I’ve ever test it for GH. Since day one, I’ve been testing for what I consider all the more important parameters to get the tank cycled… which it is.

So I must purchase a RODI unit as we have well water. It was just not something I considered. And it is extremely high.

A portable unit at a price of $100-$125. Thanx in advance
Try local auctions and just replace the filters

Back