Need to raise PH, can't get to the store for a while!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank's PH suddenly dropped from 8.1-2 to 7.7 in the span of about 24 hours, I just did a water change to raise it to 7.9 but my acros and hammers are in serious trouble. They have all lost the skin that has light hitting it (though the polyps themselves, and shaded skin, is still there) and I'm really terrified that I'm going to lose a lot of stuff. I can't get to the store for a while, so is there anything I can do with at-home stuff? Would general dosing help, or could I use baking soda? Help me out here, my tank just got to it's cruise control state and I really don't want to lose it.

Charlie brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try running a air line from your skimmer to a outside window to try and pump some fresh oxygen into your tank or even try opening all your windows to get some fresh air going that will help raise ph

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pickling lime is a home product that will safely raise your ph, baking soda will raise alkalinity, maybe slightly raise ph but not a good way to do it.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airing out the house will do more, and be more safe, than using any additives.

Are you sure pH is the problem here with your corals? I would double check all the basic stuff, temp, salinity, alk.
Yes, I've checked everything else (besides Cal and mag) and they are all within normal ranges. I've extended my skimmer air intake to reach outside and have a door open with a fan blowing air inside. The room the tank is in has no windows and is around the corner from the basement door, so that's all I can do for now. I've moved all of the colonies that are the most effected to my secondary tank for the time being.
I'm just perplexed by how this could happen! I have literally done nothing besides feed and top off the tank for nearly a month now. For everything to just come crashing down all the sudden, it feels like there's something else at play. Haven't found any toys or tools in the sump, haven't changed air filters or done any spraying around the tank either. It was just a sudden drop.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yes, I've checked everything else (besides Cal and mag) and they are all within normal ranges. I've extended my skimmer air intake to reach outside and have a door open with a fan blowing air inside. The room the tank is in has no windows and is around the corner from the basement door, so that's all I can do for now. I've moved all of the colonies that are the most effected to my secondary tank for the time being.
I'm just perplexed by how this could happen! I have literally done nothing besides feed and top off the tank for nearly a month now. For everything to just come crashing down all the sudden, it feels like there's something else at play. Haven't found any toys or tools in the sump, haven't changed air filters or done any spraying around the tank either. It was just a sudden drop.
Are the heaters ok? cracked heaters could cause a ph drop.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mr_Knightley any idea why ph dropped all of sudden? Resolving the source of ph drop might be equally as important.
That's what I'm trying to figure out now! I can't think of anything that would have affected the tank that much, and so fast! All I can think is that I topped off with RO from a spray bottle for my chameleons last night, but I was noticing some distress in choice corals even before that.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Electric shock while working on the tank is not a good sign. You might have to figure out the source by elimination.

How are corals doing in the holding tank? Unless chemicals were introduced via an equipment failure or another source , tank ph should come up with aeration.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electric shock while working on the tank is not a good sign. You might have to figure out the source by elimination.

How are corals doing in the holding tank? Unless chemicals were introduced via an equipment failure or another source , tank ph should come up with aeration.
I must have misspelled, there isn't any free current in the main tank, so nothing is leaking electricity. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
They are still closed up in the holding tank, however the necrosis has not continued. Crossing my fingers.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the PH drop is something to worry about , however, the PH drop is likely linked to something else going wrong/ off if yr corals are showing signs of necrosis : things to do

test mag / cal
Add polyfilter /cuprisorb or something to remove heavy metals (could be heater breaking down in tank)
Waterchanges

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the PH drop is something to worry about , however, the PH drop is likely linked to something else going wrong/ off if yr corals are showing signs of necrosis : things to do

test mag / cal
Add polyfilter /cuprisorb or something to remove heavy metals (could be heater breaking down in tank)
Waterchanges
ok, I'll go ahead and test cal and mag. My test kits are a little old, but they should still give an OK ballpark. I've already got a polyfilter in the tank, and I've done one 20g water change thus far.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I'll go ahead and test cal and mag. My test kits are a little old, but they should still give an OK ballpark. I've already got a polyfilter in the tank, and I've done one 20g water change thus far.
As stated above I dont think that ph drop would cause your issue but sounds like an indication that something else is up. I have .5 swing of PH daily without issues.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

test mag / cal
Waterchanges
Cal tested at 350 ppm, mag at 1260 ppm. Both lower than I like, but not dangerously so. Everything is still very unhappy, I guess I'll have to go get more water this weekend for some more water changes. The only other thing I can think about is that I cleaned my powerheads a couple of weeks ago, I did use vinegar for that. However, I rinsed them until I couldn't smell any more vinegar & that was also, as I said, a few weeks ago.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cal tested at 350 ppm, mag at 1260 ppm. Both lower than I like, but not dangerously so. Everything is still very unhappy, I guess I'll have to go get more water this weekend for some more water changes. The only other thing I can think about is that I cleaned my powerheads a couple of weeks ago, I did use vinegar for that. However, I rinsed them until I couldn't smell any more vinegar & that was also, as I said, a few weeks ago.
What’s your other parameters like?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others that that's change in PH shouldn't cause any issue. What is your alkalinity like? That's the primary factor controlling PH. An alk drop could deffinatly cause your issues and I suspect that is the case with you CA so low. You CA would definatly contribute to tissue loss.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back