Need to start dosing kH and Ca

zdrc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a 12 gallon aquapod that's been set up for a few months now. I've been using Fritz RPM blue box salt. As I've added more and more corals and the coralline algae has started taking off, I've noticed a slow drop in kH and Ca. Previously, I've been just doing 30-40% water changes to keep the kH and Ca up. However, this hasn't quite been enough to keep up with demand. In addition, my nutrients have started to bottom out. I need to ease up on the water changes, probably just reducing their size. It seems that I need to start dosing. My most recent measurements are...

Ca: 380-390 ppm
kH: 6.7

I'm a complete noob at dosing. What products should I look at to raise kH and Ca?

wculver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
For a tank that size you could hand dose. I would just use Purple Up or if you wanted a more budget approach something like Kent marine purple tech. Both of these are crushed up coral so the ratios are sorta pre-mixed from the skeletons of dead coral. That way you don't have to really worry about ionic balance as much as you would with a more complicated dosing system.

World Wide Corals

Cali Reef Life

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I use brs 2 part super simple start manually and they have a calculator to know how much to dose. Tank in mind you Don't really have 12 gallons of water after rock and sand more like 7-10 gallons depending on size. Always start with slightly less and you can always increase dose.

What is your experience with clams?

• I am comfortable keeping clams in my aquarium

Votes: 87 30.1%
  • I have kept clams, but am not particularly confident with it

Votes: 60 20.8%
  • I would like to keep clams, but I haven’t tried it yet

Votes: 115 39.8%
  • Not interested. No clams for me

Votes: 27 9.3%
World Wide Corals