Need to worry about using wood/coal heating with reef tank?

Boxfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone notice any problems having a wood or clean burn coal heat source in their house with a reef aquarium. I bought a house with a supplement al wood/coal stove hooked into the HVAC. Basement hvac with 1st floor tanks. There is a floor vent next to the tank, only option I had for placement in the room. Thoughts?

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try Randy's PH test inside and see how it balances out? Look for "The Aeration Test" https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium.7/#:~:text=The pH of highly successful,thrive, but others may not.

I have 2 woodstoves (1st floor, basement), propane furnace (hvac) and propane space heater (basement.) Normally the stove in the basement isn't going and we only use the space heater while we are doing something down there; The stove on the 1st floor is ran all winter along with the propane furnace... I have never seen my PH change from this even if I dont open a window as recommend when using the propane space heater. The PH on my tank was always depressed until I ran a outdoor airline for the skimmer; I dont believe this has to do with the heating sources as every tank I have had in any home had this problem solved the same way with an outdoor airline.

PS - If your wondering how all this plays together (CO2, PH, and DKH) check out the tables here along with Randy's article (way more info!) . https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/co2sys-marine-tank-table-for-ph-dkh-co2.786401/

--Edit - probably worth mentioning that we run the fans on the hvac system even if the propane furnace isnt running to circulate the woodstove heat throughout the house.

Last edited:

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the more recent manufactured stoves are sealed combustion and use outside air. Either through a separate air intake, or a double wall chimney, with outside air, entering via the outer ring of the chimney.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back