Need Your Help to understand why fish is dying in my Tank?

armreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody!!! I really need your help to understand why I have lost 3 fishes in about 10 days. I have my theory but not that sure as I don't have that experience.
I have 80 gallon tank (65 display and 15 sump with skimmer, no refugium yet). I have 2 black Occellaris, 1 Snowflake,HI Fin Goby,Pistol Shrimp,Cleaner Shrimp, Tomini Tang,Flame Angel, Tailspot Blenny and cleanup crew.Tank is 2 month old (Cycled with Dr.Tims with 2 clowns).
About 10 days ago bought McCosker's and Carpenter's flasher Wrasse by the way I don QT(don't have space).After letting them into tank McCosker start to harass Carpenter and was immediately transported to acclimation box. 4 days later he was showing no aggression and was let out from acclimation box. He showed no aggression towards Carpenter but was flashing around Flame Angel but was ignored so I thought its ok.Next morning found Angel dead on his side when took him out noticed this cut on his side.Took out McCosker out of tank and into acclimation.Couple days later took him to LFS and got another Flame Angel. For a couple days everything was ok when one day morning I found that Carpenter had some damages on his side but was still swimming, also one of my sexy shrimp was a bit damaged and stuck on return grill.(I think shrimp was chased by wrasse and they got into mp40?)When I came back home from work poor fish was dead.
Got another Carpenter kept him in acclimation box for 2 days he showed no aggression so let him into tank and he did good.
Today morning found my Tailspot Blenny dead..No signs of damage, only thing that I can think of is that night I was putting down Christmas tree which had a lot of snow flake which could get into tank(tree was close to tank) though tank is covered with RedSea DYI cover.
All water parameters are good, checking every week, today took water to LFS to double check with them and everything was ok.
Need your advices/suggestion what can kill fish is this bad luck or my wrongdoings.Fish looks very healthy, all the fish eat great.
Help!!! Thank you!!

CCB244CA-23CB-4A4C-B82C-13F56AA240CA.jpeg 6BEA238D-A1F8-4851-B350-6E19564807F0.jpeg 37FDA4DA-7B39-432F-84DA-716686234A96.jpeg

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any information on your parameters? Salinity, phosphate, nitrate, temperature and even ammonia if you have that option. How big is the snowflake Morey?

OP
OP
armreefer

armreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any information on your parameters? Salinity, phosphate, nitrate, temperature and even ammonia if you have that option. How big is the snowflake Morey?
Yes
Salinity.-1024
Phosphate-0
Nitrate-7ppm
Ph-8.4
Ammonia-0
I don’t have Morey eel. I think that snow floss from Christmas got into tank while I was taking it down. Thank you.

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I thought you were saying snowflake Morey. You were probably referring to a snowflake clown? What is snow floss? Hopefully someone else can provide some clues. Sorry to see you’re having trouble

OP
OP
armreefer

armreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I thought you were saying snowflake Morey. You were probably referring to a snowflake clown? What is snow floss? Hopefully someone else can provide some clues. Sorry to see you’re having trouble
Artificial snow from Christmas tree.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress is the most common cause of fish death b/c it weakens the immune system, make them eat less, be less healthy, and generally just more susceptible and lower their survival rate. my money is on the below possibilities:

1) added too many fishes too quickly - 2 month old is still pretty young, esp if it's a fowlr (is it a fowlr?). a tank may be "cycled" but it's only "cycled" with respect to your current bioload and current "ammonia processing capacity". the added fish may have caused a temporary spike in ammonia that killed the fish, by the time you tested it, ur bacterial probably already converted it to No3 so you tested 0 ammonia.
2) some of your fishes are territorial so not sure what your rockwork looks like. could be some bullying going on thats contributing to more stress. plus the stress of being in a new tank, getting new tank mates, not enough hiding spots, new environment shock...
3) incompatible species - i'm not too familiar with some of fishes but you did mention aggression and there are wounds..

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress is the most common cause of fish death b/c it weakens the immune system, make them eat less, be less healthy, and generally just more susceptible and lower their survival rate. my money is on the below possibilities:

1) added too many fishes too quickly - 2 month old is still pretty young, esp if it's a fowlr (is it a fowlr?). a tank may be "cycled" but it's only "cycled" with respect to your current bioload and current "ammonia processing capacity". the added fish may have caused a temporary spike in ammonia that killed the fish, by the time you tested it, ur bacterial probably already converted it to No3 so you tested 0 ammonia.
2) some of your fishes are territorial so not sure what your rockwork looks like. could be some bullying going on thats contributing to more stress. plus the stress of being in a new tank, getting new tank mates, not enough hiding spots, new environment shock...
3) incompatible species - i'm not too familiar with some of fishes but you did mention aggression and there are wounds..
I agree, the other issue would be whether or not somethings got in the aquarium that’s causing some type of toxicity. You may consider adding new carbon or doing a water change or both

OP
OP
armreefer

armreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, the other issue would be whether or not somethings got in the aquarium that’s causing some type of toxicity. You may consider adding new carbon or doing a water change or both
I agree, tank is new and can have some fluctuations in water parameters.Most sad part is all fish was eating and acting well.(the only bully was immediately deported).
And no its not fowlr its a reef. I have some corals and also forgot to mention I have RBT anemone.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m so sorry to hear about your fish! It’s heartbreaking... I have been through a few losses myself. :( From personal experience with similar issues, I would also guess that it’s stress related. You setup is beautiful but you may want to add another rock or two to make a sort of cave. Wrasses, in particular, like a hiding place & it’s hard to tell from the picture whether they’d have a really good space to hide. My Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse hides in small spaces between and under rocks when he sleeps. If you end up with another wrasse, I really would add something extra for them to hide/sleep in.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back