Need your opinion on switching salt to save $

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding to the prior post, TM is in the middle of investigating multiple reports of issues from users seeing their salt mix brown (from German and Turkish batches), TM acknowledging some clay-like material, reports of coral issues, and TM voluntarily replacing Turkish-made salt buckets. I’ve been a user to TM for 3+ years but can’t justify the cost and quality concerns to pay such a premium any more. I found this thread very helpful and am starting a switch to Red Sea Blue bucket.
Over 20+ years, there were just over 2 years i didnt use IO, or Reef Crystals, I used RS Blue.

It worked fine. It does leave brown muck in the bucket, but that never seemed to bother anything. The reason I went back to Reef Crystals, was I didnt see a difference in results. RS salt is almost double the price of Reef Crystals, so I went back with my Ex. Same results but cost me a lot less .

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might switch salts for the same reason you did because if im paying more for a good salt it doesn't make sense to have risks for all that money

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used lots of different salts in the past. But I've been using reef crystals for the past year with no issues. My wallet is alot happier and I dose less using it. I don't understand why so many overthink the salt debate or dosing or ultra micro contaminates in a reef tank. Reef tanks are cleaner and healthier than any ocean.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used lots of different salts in the past. But I've been using reef crystals for the past year with no issues. My wallet is alot happier and I dose less using it. I don't understand why so many overthink the salt debate or dosing or ultra micro contaminates in a reef tank. Reef tanks are cleaner and healthier than any ocean.
With exceptions, so you dont get attacked. Lower nutrients in the ocean than our tanks, but you are correct.

We dont have PCBs, PABA, Sodium Cyanide, etc in our tanks. Some crud in your bucket is hardly an issue.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With exceptions, so you dont get attacked. Lower nutrients in the ocean than our tanks, but you are correct.

We dont have PCBs, PABA, Sodium Cyanide, etc in our tanks. Some crud in your bucket is hardly an issue.
Not concerned about being attacked. My system works for me so that's all that matters. I have 3 systems and I will periodically test to see if my dosing regiment is keeping up. Other then that they are on auto pilot. Stressing and trying to micro manage a reef system never ends well. It drains your wallet and turns the hobby into a 2nd job with redundant tasks and one issue will always lead to another. My best advice for anyone is if you can't see it then it's not a problem. Most reefers tend to overthink and overspend in this hobby which also leads to them ultimately leaving as it becomes a financial drain and just plain work which takes all the enjoyment out it. As a business owner trying to survive these days the quality of my salt is the last thing I'm concerned about. First world problems right? Lol

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send it to a lab and have it checked as I did

There are a ton of user on this fourm alone with the same reports

So before you attack someone go read and do some research io is one of the worst when it comes to clay

"Salt mixes start out by being mined from the earth, evaporated from seawater or refined from synthetic salts. They all can potentially contain impurities such as chelators, clays and clarifiers that will produce precipitate and brown organic crud on the storage tanks walls. Some aquarium salts can even create a brown foam on the surface, not exactly ideal considering the saltwater is supposed to be clean and ready for use in your precious saltwater tank!"

Quote from bulkreefsupply

And since there are 100s of user All reporting the same thing the lab I sent it to said the same

And I used io for 10 years with not great results since the switch I have had way better growth no brown crap and

Clay minerals are composed essentially of silica, alumina or magnesia or both, and water, but iron substitutes for aluminum and magnesium in varying degrees, and appreciable quantities of potassium, sodium, and calcium are frequently present as well.

So if you want this in your tank go for it I'll stick to what works

Not hype when it's tried tested and true
So your source is BRS marketing?

Post your lab results.

Post some examples.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your lab results.

I've asked for that several times, and in another thread where he continued his IO is crap crusade. Has yet to post a single thing that is scientific, and not just some hyperbole from other hobbyists.

Or the lab results he and supposed many others have that there is clay on IO, and that the clay thats supposedly in it(randy himself stated there is no such thing in IO), is harmful in any way to our tanks.

What he did post was one google link about some form of phosphorus clay that was tested in the eradication of the red tide, and that one type of clay was harmful to marine life.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send it to a lab and have it checked as I did

There are a ton of user on this fourm alone with the same reports

So before you attack someone go read and do some research io is one of the worst when it comes to clay

"Salt mixes start out by being mined from the earth, evaporated from seawater or refined from synthetic salts. They all can potentially contain impurities such as chelators, clays and clarifiers that will produce precipitate and brown organic crud on the storage tanks walls. Some aquarium salts can even create a brown foam on the surface, not exactly ideal considering the saltwater is supposed to be clean and ready for use in your precious saltwater tank!"

Quote from bulkreefsupply

And since there are 100s of user All reporting the same thing the lab I sent it to said the same

And I used io for 10 years with not great results since the switch I have had way better growth no brown crap and

Clay minerals are composed essentially of silica, alumina or magnesia or both, and water, but iron substitutes for aluminum and magnesium in varying degrees, and appreciable quantities of potassium, sodium, and calcium are frequently present as well.

So if you want this in your tank go for it I'll stick to what works

Not hype when it's tried tested and true

15E851C6-48EE-4474-9764-F9509AC4EC77.gif

This is complete conjecture, not proof.

So the marketing company that sells expensive salt said you should use expensive salt? Imagine that…

It’s fine to have your opinion but don’t present it as fact…

Is ‘sending it to a lab’ mean you got an ICP test?

Last edited:

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not concerned about being attacked. My system works for me so that's all that matters. I have 3 systems and I will periodically test to see if my dosing regiment is keeping up. Other then that they are on auto pilot. Stressing and trying to micro manage a reef system never ends well. It drains your wallet and turns the hobby into a 2nd job with redundant tasks and one issue will always lead to another. My best advice for anyone is if you can't see it then it's not a problem. Most reefers tend to overthink and overspend in this hobby which also leads to them ultimately leaving as it becomes a financial drain and just plain work which takes all the enjoyment out it. As a business owner trying to survive these days the quality of my salt is the last thing I'm concerned about. First world problems right? Lol
Completely agree. Micromanaging a tank will eventually burn you. Ive been doing this a long time, and one thing ive learned, if it looks good, dont F with it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is calcium/carbonate precipitate of some sort. If you add even the slightest acid to the mix, it all dissolves again. Clay would not do this AFAIK.

I add in 20mls into IO to lower the alk and it comes out clean as a whistle. This lowers the pH for about a day. I have to add a bit more if I use RC, but it also comes out clean.

I have no idea what is in other salts.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use fritz salt in the blue box switched from reef crystals because I didn't like the muck. Corals seem to be doing great in it. I didn't have any issues with the switch but I did do only smaller water changes over the course of a month. The price isn't bad either and it mixes so fast.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use fritz salt in the blue box switched from reef crystals because I didn't like the muck. Corals seem to be doing great in it. I didn't have any issues with the switch but I did do only smaller water changes over the course of a month. The price isn't bad either and it mixes so fast.
Fritz RPM (blue) is what I want to try when I run out of Instant Ocean (regular).
Not because I have any complaints with IO but because Fritz parameters better match what my tank runs -- mainly the lower alkalinity (than IO).
*roughly 1.5x price here so worth at least trying (for me)

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz RPM (blue) is what I want to try when I run out of Instant Ocean (regular).
Not because I have any complaints with IO but because Fritz parameters better match what my tank runs -- mainly the lower alkalinity (than IO).
*roughly 1.5x price here so worth at least trying (for me)
Fritz RPM and Live Aquaria salt are both the same salt. I'm assuming Fritz is making it and relabeling it for LA.
So you can buy whichever one you can find the better deal on at the time.

half of my supply is LA and half is Fritz. I use it interchangeably without worry. It's all the same.

Petco sells the LA salt and Petsmart sells the Fritz salt.

<*]]]<

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to Kent marine from Tropic Marin classic to save some coin. With the Kent salt the recipe to hit 1.025 require an extra 2 tablespoons, so that erodes the savings slightly. With that figured in, I am paying $.33 per gallon for the Kent vs. $.50 per gallon for the TM. Parameters are very close on the two salts. Time will tell if the decision was wise.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, I've been reading through this entire thread and I haven't seen anyone mention Aquaforest salt, either regular or probiotic. My LFS uses the probiotic salt exclusively, and only sell that kind. I'm at the end of my Red Sea black bucket, and was hoping to find an answer in this thread if anyone recommended it, but it doesn't seem like it's popular at all?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AF was popular and the rage for a while. You are right... it has kinda dwindled and is not talked about much anymore. I am sure that it is fine. I doubt that you need a probiotic in a salt. Keep in mind that most LFS that only sell one type of this or that usually do so on margins... so they might not be a good source.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz RPM and Live Aquaria salt are both the same salt. I'm assuming Fritz is making it and relabeling it for LA.
So you can buy whichever one you can find the better deal on at the time.

half of my supply is LA and half is Fritz. I use it interchangeably without worry. It's all the same.

Petco sells the LA salt and Petsmart sells the Fritz salt.
I never knew they were the same I just knew fritz brand from some YouTube channels and a couple trade shows. Then I spent hours reading about salts and went with one that seemed to be in the upper middle for quality and cost. Either way works in my 90 gallon which is roughly 110 with sump just got my third box of it so far.

I will say the amount of time it takes to clear is amazing id still wait a few hours to overnight. I have had to do a quick water change in an hour before wouldn't recommend it but someone spilled food in my quarantine system.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown stuff is clay red sea coral pro does not have this instant ocean is bad with it

It can effect your tank in a negative way

I switched from IO to red sea for this exact reason

Could not be happier

Paracipitation is white not brown

Precipitation is not necessarily white. Randy here did an icp of the stuff and it was calcium carbonate and occasionally magnesium in there. I don't think you have any evidence of it being clay, given that the only evidence we have shows it to be calcium carbonate or a some magnesium form.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precipitation is not necessarily white. Randy here did an icp of the stuff and it was calcium carbonate and occasionally magnesium in there. I don't think you have any evidence of it being clay, given that the only evidence we have shows it to be calcium carbonate or a some magnesium form.
It is definitely calcium/other mineral precip that builds up in the mixing/storage container. I get brown with RS, got (almost black) with Fritz, brown with TM (still happens with TM despite the pharmaceutical nonsense) - no issue from any on tank chemistry.

OP
OP
sneekapeek

sneekapeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you have to say! It’s basically why I’m switching salts. I am kinda on the fence between IO or liveaquaria and I’m at this point in the road that if it works for their coral farm, why couldn’t it work for me? On the plus side both are particularly cheaper salts with discounts applied and even without!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back