Needing varied flow in 5 gallon nano

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon nano in it's 7th week of cycling after I rebooted it (an earlier incarnation of the tank lost a battle with Dinos because tank was too clean and my reefing abilities were too green). This is not my first first reef tank because I've kept them with my dad growing up but it's my first on my own and with dry rock instead of live rock. Don't comment that the tank is too small because that's low hanging fruit and it's doing great right now ;)

The ugly phase is starting to subside. The cyanobacteria on the sand is receding and the diatom bloom is weakening. My understanding is that green hair algae is the next phase so I'll be on the lookout.

The only flow in this 5 gallon is a Seachem Tidal HOB filter rated for 35 gallons. It moves a good amount of water but there are a couple dead spots directly under the filter. I'm wanting to add a small powerhead that will create some varied flow.

So here I'm seeking two things: (1) ideas for different ways to create varied flow in a tank that will contain softies, zoos, shrooms and LPS; and (2) nano powerhead ideas/placement that can help achieve this goal.

Don't recommend something that will create too much flow for my desired coral types. Thank you in advance everyone!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about some rocks under the spot where the HOB filter spills into the tank?

I have a 16g tank that I'm breeding Rock Flower Anemones in and it has a HOB filter and an in-tank Tunze skimmer. I added 2 small powerheads from Current and they work just fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back