Neglected 29 Gallon Biocube Build (Rebuild?)

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check out ORA home page you can see all of the stuff they have bred successfully. A nice wrasse with a lot of color is a pink streaked wrasse. If you want some more blues the springers damsel fits the bill for nano tanks and along with the wrasse could make for some good pest control. Bicolor look a lot nicer than their counterparts and may graze on algae if you get lucky. My favorite gobies are sand sifters, they come in all sorts of colors and can pair with pistol shrimps or with others of their same species. I would check out the yasha goby for a show stopper.
On of My LFS showed me the Yasha Goby and it was a great looking fish. I have always been drawn to the Yellow Watchman, but that one has me thinking about switching to it. I love the look and temperament of the Pink wrasse, but I have heard they are hard to come by.
Aren’t damsels usually the bullies of a tank? I thought that was the case hence why I didn’t include them in the list. I love the look of the blue/yellow damsels and think the contrast of blues with the orange clowns would be a great thing to have.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s the 29 biocube, I love cherub angels!! Not many people seem to have them and mine paired with my clowns much Luke how my clowns paired with each other! They’re all best buddies and I think my female clown actually prefers my cherub over the male clown! Love it in my 20 peninsula.

geometric hawks are great and won’t break the bank, mine perches all the time and I love him. Longnose hawks are cool too. Be careful with ornamental shrimp though!

a lot of gobies would be very happy in here a yasha/pistol would be my choice but some of the fatter gobies (clowns, coral crouchers) would also make great additions!

as far as wrasses go, I’d do a possum/ pink streaked :)

love your tank makeover! I’m doing one myself rn
I never really thought about an angel or hawk before, I always thought my tank would be too small. I will have to do some research on them!
I love the Pink Wrasses, it’s just not easy to find them.
I was thinking of getting a pistol shrimp to pair with a goby, but since I have a skunk cleaner and I’m trying to keep a tank that’s full of as little aggression as possible so everyone can be happy, I think that might have to wait for if/when I upgrade to a larger tank.
Good luck on your makeover! This has been a fun way to keep my furloughed self busy even if my credit cards want to yell at me lol.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This video makes me wanna take a line of credit out and get a bigger tank already lol I’m just making sure I can keep this Biocube up and running and everything alive before making that leap. I have already lost one coral (Hammer) and it makes me sad, but all my parameters seem to be decent so I’m not sure what happened to it. I dipped it a couple times and it wasn’t flatworms or anything. It just started expelling it’s zooxanthellae and never came back. :(

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres what i would consider
Cherub
Pink streaked
Yasha with pistol shrimp
Bicolor
Spingers
Adding those to my research list now :) I doubt I would be able to do the pistol shrimp though with just trying to keep all tank mates docile and no wars breaking out between him and snails, hermits (my urchin when she eventually goes into the larger tank) or my cleaner shrimp.

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Cherubs seem to be a 50/50 shot to not nibble on LPS? I have an amazing torch that I can’t lose so that one might be out lol
Yea. They can be hit or miss. If you buy a captive bred one it will be more expensive but most likely will not pose as big a threat to LPS corals. In the wild they go after sponges on corals so things such as meat corals and acans are more at risk. Also its tiny so if it does nibble on a coral it wont be a giant issue. regardless get him fat and happy.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. They can be hit or miss. If you buy a captive bred one it will be more expensive but most likely will not pose as big a threat to LPS corals. In the wild they go after sponges on corals so things such as meat corals and acans are more at risk. Also its tiny so if it does nibble on a coral it wont be a giant issue. regardless get him fat and happy.
Well I do enjoy feeding my tanks (which might be the cause of the hydroids I see on the glass of my Biocube lol but I have been trying to get nitrates up just a bit and yet they stay at Zero it seems.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally forgot. Check out mandarin dragonets too
A blue mandarin is my dream fish! But I’m nervous about the pod thing since it’s only a 29 gallon and I don’t want to have to buy $30 worth of bottled pods every week. I added a bottle recently just to have in there, but I don’t think the refugium with rubble and chaeto I have set up In the inTank refugium basket in the back of the Biocube would be big enough to self sustain a pod population for it. :(

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always wait and establish a population. Also you can wean them off of them to, but its better to incorporate their natural diet. Check out podyourreef and this article... Piece of advice don't buy from algae barn, podyourreef is much nicer.

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always wait and establish a population. Also you can wean them off of them to, but its better to incorporate their natural diet. Check out podyourreef and this article... Piece of advice don't buy from algae barn, podyourreef is much nicer.

This blog on podyourreef and the article from coral reefing should set you up

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back