OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so, I shouldn’t whine, but I’m not liking the aesthetic. Too crowded.

I think I’m going to sell my three black boxes and get 2 more noopsyche K7s. It’ll look so much more open and streamlined.

16104D05-3D6E-4B08-AB85-A9A5B209A3D7.jpeg
53EB603B-241B-4F42-88C1-87B7B94695E1.jpeg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an inexpensive pH probe to add to my saltwater mixing station for when I do sodium bisulphate based alk reductions, so I can see when my pH is back in range for a water change.

I plugged it into the ph/orp port of my apex, and my primary pH probe drops 2.5 points and acts erratic

Why can’t Neptune stuff just work? what the heck. I’m going to obviously have to calibrate both probes and continue, but this should be plug and play. Why would adding a second probe make the original read differently?

755079F2-03E8-4764-BE0B-BA94B281EA65.png
26206E7B-ED3F-4D4A-AD0B-E570FAB682E6.png
24F753AC-F8FA-4E24-97C3-B80DBA5B3221.png

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I got an inexpensive smart ATO amazon return (for 70% off) for my coral QT. No more manual top off

The tiny pump has 7 feet of head, which is crazy. Setting it up now

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, calibrated both ph probes using the apex. Man, that is a process that is more complicated than it really needs to be. Done now, just going to let it go overnight and compare the two, but I’m already seeing a 0.12 drop in my values. I guess that’s calibration creep setting in from the last time I messed with it in December.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an autoaqua smart ato that someone returned to amazon because they didn’t realize you had to refill the ATO container occasionally, so they complained about it constantly beeping (container low alarm). So I got it for a deep discount

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only issue with it is that In my 20long, it takes about 2 cups of water to evaporate before it’ll activate. That’s a little under 1/4” of water level drop. That means it only really activated once a day. No biggy. That’s such a small increase in salinity, it’s negligible

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, calibrated both ph probes using the apex. Man, that is a process that is more complicated than it really needs to be. Done now, just going to let it go overnight and compare the two, but I’m already seeing a 0.12 drop in my values. I guess that’s calibration creep setting in from the last time I messed with it in December.

So, new probe reads 0.12 lower than old one after calibration and sitting them both in the tank overnight.

So- drilled a hole through my fish room wall in order to pass the wire through, moved the new probe into the saltwater bucket- and the tank probe immediately shot up 0.25 units. Just from unplugging and plugging in a new probe.

I unplugged the temp probe, in a ps2 module 6 feet away from the head unit where the ph probes are located, and both dropped 0.03 points. I’m guessing just electrical interference of some sort, despite all my probe wires running perpendicular to power.

I’ll rerun calibration tonight and let them settle. I’m not about chasing pH, as long as I can see patterns, but it’s a little annoying that they do that just by Re-plugging probes.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, new probe reads 0.12 lower than old one after calibration and sitting them both in the tank overnight.

So- drilled a hole through my fish room wall in order to pass the wire through, moved the new probe into the saltwater bucket- and the tank probe immediately shot up 0.25 units. Just from unplugging and plugging in a new probe.

I unplugged the temp probe, in a ps2 module 6 feet away from the head unit where the ph probes are located, and both dropped 0.03 points. I’m guessing just electrical interference of some sort, despite all my probe wires running perpendicular to power.

I’ll rerun calibration tonight and let them settle. I’m not about chasing pH, as long as I can see patterns, but it’s a little annoying that they do that just by Re-plugging probes.
I’ve had similar problems with Neptune probes, such a pain.

If someone would make a higher quality pH/Conductivity probe module for Apex, they could make a killing. GHL and Pinpoint have no problems like this with their probes, so all the complaining from Neptune that it’s not possible is just nonsense.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had similar problems with Neptune probes, such a pain.

If someone would make a higher quality pH/Conductivity probe module for Apex, they could make a killing. GHL and Pinpoint have no problems like this with their probes, so all the complaining from Neptune that it’s not possible is just nonsense.

The new probe is a pinpoint single junction. Cost half what Neptune wanted.

I’m more annoyed by the fact that just *plugging* another probe in upsets the first one. That’s just shenanigans

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new probe is a pinpoint single junction. Cost half what Neptune wanted.

I’m more annoyed by the fact that just *plugging* another probe in upsets the first one. That’s just shenanigans
Yeah, it’s not the probes it’s the electronics. Most all the probes are interchangeable. Single/double junction does matter, but sill, like you say, it shouldn’t mess up one by plugging in another...

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s not the probes it’s the electronics. Most all the probes are interchangeable. Single/double junction does matter, but sill, like you say, it shouldn’t mess up one by plugging in another...
I got the single junction simply because this is going into my mixing barrel so i can monitor oh while i add sodium bisulphate to reduce Alk.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back