OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just now seeing these posts- been busy with New Years abdvthe in laws...

To be honest, I followed these two YouTube videos and made it in one go with stuff I had available. Kinda merges the two designs. Worked on the first test, so never messed with it.

I googled “make noisy reef standpipe quiet“ and looked around.

It works, I don’t really have much more input than that

I just turned the reducer the other way instead of drilling slots like that dude did

a1e4243ed6cb643a5958135078527148.jpg
87e248b45a74b608a7163a2d3e81bafe.jpg

The ‘mushroom’ is a 3” to 2” reducer, I think, had to dremel out a bit of the inside to make it slide over the 1.5” ‘standpipe’ which has the holes. (3/8” x 8 or nine, kinda two rows offset by 1/4” or so) Water has to travel under the mushroom cup and through the holes, to get out the bulkhead. If it goes over the top, it’s going to be noisy. Then what little noise there is is muffled by the cap. It just sits on top. If it’s not drilled, a vacuum can form and it turns into a bit of a siphon, so I drilled the hole to prevent too much flow (I was getting ‘pulsing’ of the water level due to a siphon forming)

To be honest- since I made the other overflow a full siphon, it’s barely getting much flow through the buster. It was more useful when the other overflow wasn’t a siphon and it had more flow. Now, I’d rather make the primary a siphon and lose 1.5g of water change capacity (due to its depth in order to create the siphon) than to mess with it any more. I drilled my holes too close together to fit 2x 3” reducers next to each other, so coukdnt place two busters in there.

It is quiet when I do a ‘siphon block test’ in the main overflow, but I actually think having The emergency/ secondary noisy is good fir alerting me to issues with the main siphon. Just like having your edrain of a BA dump into your return chamber from 6” makes a sound to alert you

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uugghh.

Michael J. Foxface got a second dose of prazi yesterday- and now her tank is super cloudy with bacteria. 100% WC later. I really should reorder some GC and stop using the Prazipro

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

Michael J Foxface doing awesome

Randal (the Randall’s goby) is doing great, that’s 8 days in copper power holding at 1.76ppm. Haven’t seen him physically eat yet, too shy, but he doesn’t look like he’s losing weight and he’s active

Once he is done with copper, I’m ordering a pistol shrimp for him and a pink spotted watchman goby. Need a sandsifter in the tank

Tunze are sending me a new wetside for the cleaning magnet. Awesome customer service

Wife is out of town for 2 days next week- in laws are coming to take the girls, so I’ll have 2 full straight days to work on tank related stuff!! Psyched. I’m a SAHD to a 4 month old and my 2.5 yo is in daycare 10-4, so it’s hard to get time

Doing a little 3D CAD designing things for the 3 d printer. Been a bunch of pen holders so far, but reef related stuff in the works
41c107e0000fdc148656d919751dac45.jpg
I didn’t design that but my wife really liked it.

And a fully custom Elmo pen holder for the 2.5 yo

25b19238a629567056bd66ff0c207283.jpg

Water test later today, got a full 55 of 1.023 ready to go for a WC too

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your commitment.
Family first, tank after that and 3D printing somewhere in between.
Nice designs.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your commitment.
Family first, tank after that and 3D printing somewhere in between.
Nice designs.

Thank you for your comment- I truly appreciate the nice words.

Frankly- it’s been hard. Going from running my own lab at a medical school to being a SAHD has been a huge adjustment, but having the tank to work on and you guys to share it with has made it all a little easier.

Most days I don’t miss the stress or the highly competitive environment, but on the days I do, some sump maintenance of just thinking about the next steps in my build helps me focus on the present.

Thanks to everyone keeping tabs!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So- this happened!

f3085c70b9c0420c8d031b8a29d7921f.jpg
2ac355bd7c76735d1c143bd747f3c944.jpg

Michael J Foxface graduated up to the DT! She’s loving the extra swim space and the clowns are back to hanging out with each other as well, instead of being at opposite ends.

I didn’t find out my DT has been running at 1.020– I have no idea for how long, but I last tested 2.5 weeks ago. Really not sure how that happened. ATO seems to be working fine, rate has been really constant over the past month.

I added a couple cups of salt to the ato container to bring it up to 1.04... at the ‘5-day refill rate’ the salinity increase in DT should be gradual enough for the fish. ATO at 20 gallons is around 6.6% of the total volume.

If my math is right, making the ATO 1.04 should being the DT up to 1.021, over 5 days. I’ll then do the same two more times to get up to 1.023.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uugghh

Literally as I hit post, wife pointed out ‘a white string’ coming from MJF... oh, sh**

Took a pic-

4fba5caa8862ed1c71f1d218b42863b6.jpg

Of one of my clowns trying to eat it.

Intestinal worms or parasites.

Uugghh

Zero indication of this for the past three weeks in QT. She did a reef rally bath when she arrived, into 1.0ppm copper with a 3 day ramp to 1.075, then held for 15 days. Then new tank for observation + 2 rounds prazipro for 3 weeks (pzp dosed 5 days apart) .

No indication of intestinal issues, so didn’t use medicated food. Uugghh. I have metro and focus on hand, just didn’t use it because I’m stupid apparently.

I’m going to order some GC and make up a batch of medicated food. Treat the whole tank at this point- MJF, and two onyx Picasso clowns . I’ll also treat the Randall’s goby that’s finishing copper in Sunday

Any chance it’s nothing to worry about? Just a stress reaction to being moved?

Cheers

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be worried mine does it every six months or so but it doesn’t hurt to medicate in the DT so go for it

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read outlander about 6-8 years ago. I am an expert. :rolleyes:
And oh my gosh I just remembered that my maiden name, Graham, is Scottish. My boys were asking me about those DNA tests and I remembered...geesh, you’da thunk I woulda remembered when I was giving you a hard time about bag pipes...wait. You were giving me a hard time actually. LOL.
And reading Outlander made me realize that it makes perfect sense that I would be of Scottish and Cherokee descent.

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read outlander about 6-8 years ago. I am an expert. :rolleyes:
And oh my gosh I just remembered that my maiden name, Graham, is Scottish. My boys were asking me about those DNA tests and I remembered...geesh, you’da thunk I woulda remembered when I was giving you a hard time about bag pipes...wait. You were giving me a hard time actually. LOL.
And reading Outlander made me realize that it makes perfect sense that I would be of Scottish and Cherokee descent.
My last name is Graham OMG!!!!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up literally 30 minutes from where the stones in that show are set. Weird seeing it in that show
That is weird. I did not realise those stones were real. I want to see stones like that in my lifetime. When my kids are grown we hope to see England and Scotland.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back