Fishroom Reality Check

Craigb350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a really nice tank man. Going to read up on that thread once I have a little time.

Where in UK are you? I’m expat Scottish (Dundee/Glasgow), been in US for 10 years.

Im in the middle, Yorkshire

Well done for leaving the UK probably a good decision with the current political climate LOL

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I just saw a dwarf Cerith come out of my return pipe. He made it through the return pump and up 27 feet of pvc...

I have 5 or 6 that made it down the overflow into the sump. One less down there now I guess

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neil I would not place a fish in the DT that still had a visible issue so I am glad you went with keeping with treatment for now. So long as he is tolerating QT, I would keep with it. Rarely would I consider adding a fish to the DT to help them recover.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neil I would not place a fish in the DT that still had a visible issue so I am glad you went with keeping with treatment for now. So long as he is tolerating QT, I would keep with it. Rarely would I consider adding a fish to the DT to help them recover.

Agreed. Doing 4 extra days in abx (nfg, kanaplex, met mix- modified Trifecta) then put a call out for opinions if it stays the same

I’m now doubting whether it’s actually a residual issue, or if the front part of the lower jaw is just translucent enough that I’m seeing blood vessels, and not inflammation.

I’m just not 100% confidant that I remember correctly if I saw it/ didn’t see it when he first came home. iPhone pics through 12” of water suck

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M

So, I had 150 ml of 7 day old Nannochloropsis culture. Poured 120ml into a clean culture vessel (smart water bottle, lol) topped it up to 500ml with 1.019 saltwater and added 250ul of Guillards F/2 fertilizer 2ml/4l) . For a ~ 1:4 culture ‘split’.

Given the past growth rate, this *should* be ready to split again in 7-8 days. At that point, I’m going to 1:4 split 300ml, and seed my Pod tank with the other 200ml.

The 30ml remainder of this first culture got poured into a jar and I added the small bottle of surviving Pods. That’ll feed them just enough for the week until I get the tank set up.

6bec37ae360388bbabadd099c25e78a5.jpg

511c4563d2fdcbd4b97209aee880fcea.jpg

Takes me back to my days splitting and culturing genetically engineered cancer cells...
This is awesome and someday I would like to have a culture of phyto. Right now I just threw the dying chaeto into a 10 gallon to shake the copepods out and I am feeding commercial phyto. A new saltwater buddy sent me a link on a pretty simple method to increase your current copepods.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome and someday I would like to have a culture of phyto. Right now I just threw the dying chaeto into a 10 gallon to shake the copepods out and I am feeding commercial phyto. A new saltwater buddy sent me a link on a pretty simple method to increase your current copepods.

I’ve got a hint: fake chaeto.

You’ll never guess what it is. And I’m not telling until the reveal. I’m so bad at secrets.

Link to the link?

I’ll send you some phyto and instructions if you like once I’m splitting routinely?

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a hint: fake chaeto.

You’ll never guess what it is. And I’m not telling until the reveal. I’m so bad at secrets.

Link to the link?

I’ll send you some phyto and instructions if you like once I’m splitting routinely?
That would be awesome! Thank you! Wow! Just wow! I will figure out how to send the link.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be awesome! Thank you! Wow! Just wow! I will figure out how to send the link.

If you write it out on a piece of paper...

Lol, sorry

Yeah- I’m growing my own phyto. Not paying $80/ month for something that grows in a puddle outside my basement door.

Plan to dose the tanks, and feed the pods. About a bottle a week. But I’ll have time to get up to that production level considering I haven’t even been coral shopping yet.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Doing 4 extra days in abx (nfg, kanaplex, met mix- modified Trifecta) then put a call out for opinions if it stays the same

I’m now doubting whether it’s actually a residual issue, or if the front part of the lower jaw is just translucent enough that I’m seeing blood vessels, and not inflammation.

I’m just not 100% confidant that I remember correctly if I saw it/ didn’t see it when he first came home. iPhone pics through 12” of water suck

I wouldn’t mix NFG with kana and metro without running it by the experts.

Here’s a screenshot from my thread with the nightmare ICH crap I went through with my original inhabitants

781bdd7ef00b0f4fee122270a4f35e40.jpg

Edit:

This was post copper/ich treating the infections post copper

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t mix NFG with kana and metro without running it by the experts.

Here’s a screenshot from my thread with the nightmare ICH crap I went through with my original inhabitants

781bdd7ef00b0f4fee122270a4f35e40.jpg

Edit:

This was post copper/ich treating the infections post copper

I’ll discontinue the kanaplex and met dosing and do daily NFG+ WC. And stop at 14 days.

If whatever is there persists after 14 days abx, I’ll need to dose something else, but Trifecta and NFG should have been a winner. It’s the broadest spectrum and hits gram positive and negative, and has antiseptic methylene blue in there too.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks
@Humblefish
@4FordFamily

Have been dosing the Trifecta for a possible bacterial infection in the mouth of a pink spot goby. Large red spot that got progressively worse day on day.

Been 11 days, and the redness has subsided around 90%. I’m out of Furan2 and was wondering if dosing NFG in its place alongside kanaplex and metroplex was ok.

Q- given the active ingredients of Furan2 and NFG, can I use NFG in place of Furan2 for a continued abx dosing for 4 additional days?

Any evidence of contraindications with the ingredients involved?

Thanks

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks
@Humblefish
@4FordFamily

Have been dosing the Trifecta for a possible bacterial infection in the mouth of a pink spot goby. Large red spot that got progressively worse day on day.

Been 11 days, and the redness has subsided around 90%. I’m out of Furan2 and was wondering if dosing NFG in its place alongside kanaplex and metroplex was ok.

Q- given the active ingredients of Furan2 and NFG, can I use NFG in place of Furan2 for a continued abx dosing for 4 additional days?

Any evidence of contraindications with the ingredients involved?

Thanks
You can but I’d just use NFG if you do that. NFG is a bad mamajama! Mixing strong antibiotics not ideal I’d do a water change first

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can but I’d just use NFG if you do that. NFG is a bad mamajama! Mixing strong antibiotics not ideal I’d do a water change first
Agree. Straight up NFG. If that won't kick it I don't know what will.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Straight up NFG. If that won't kick it I don't know what will.

Would you do 4 days as a ‘chaser’ for the Trifecta to knock out the last 10%, or a full 10 days?

I know the prudent answer, but wondering if I should give pinky a break unmedicated for a few days before doing a full nfg course

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you do 4 days as a ‘chaser’ for the Trifecta to knock out the last 10%, or a full 10 days?

I know the prudent answer, but wondering if I should give pinky a break unmedicated for a few days before doing a full nfg course
I would stay on it. Full 10-14 days of NFG . I've never had a fish react negatively to NFG. Pretty easy treatment comparatively.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay on it. Full 10-14 days of NFG . I've never had a fish react negatively to NFG. Pretty easy treatment comparatively.
Agree

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back