Purple seems totally fine

Help!!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did that just start? Or was it going on post FW dip? I had an achilles do this once to me for about 12hrs post FW dip. I thought for sure it was going to be dead in the morning the next day. That fish lives happily in @4FordFamily's tank to this day!

I would shut all the lights off and just let it be, let em rest. It could just be from the FW dip or the heavy black ich infestation it had.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn’t doing it after the dip, it was swimming around kinda ok. Last check was at 4 pm and she was fine.

I noticed this right before I posted, but I hadn’t checked between 4pm and 7. I had daycare run etc.

So maybe up to 3 hours.

I’ll go shut out the lights

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went down to shut off the lights and she was no longer on her side. Sculling in place but normal swimming attitude.

I shut off the lights and will let her do her thing for the next 12 hours

Fingers crossed
I bet you she will be fine based on prior experience, if you hadn't done a FW dip today it would be much more concerning.

Best thing to do though is keep stress low, no light till am and let the fish rest.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, @HotRocks has you on a good course here! Good luck :)

I bet you she will be fine based on prior experience, if you hadn't done a FW dip today it would be much more concerning.

Best thing to do though is keep stress low, no light till am and let the fish rest.

Trusting you guys!! Got my fingers crossed.

This is going to be a loooooooong night.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also put a divider in the tank. Just to protect the yellow tang from that circling and herding behavior. Dominance behavior causes stress, too. As you know. The darker tank should help that tonight though.
When I learned to do freshwater dips it was with RO di water and dkh builder to get the pH to 8.0 -8.3. And the temp the same as the QT. But no one mentioned that so it got me wondering.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also put a divider in the tank. Just to protect the yellow tang from that circling and herding behavior. Dominance behavior causes stress, too. As you know. The darker tank should help that tonight though.
When I learned to do freshwater dips it was with RO di water and dkh builder to get the pH to 8.0 -8.3. And the temp the same as the QT. But no one mentioned that so it got me wondering.
Matching PH is good I used to use aragamilk to accomplish this. I’ve since stopped and haven’t really had any issues. I don’t pay attention to PH in QT but I imagine it’s out of whack there too. But it’s definitely a good idea.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good point on the aggression- I’ll add a divider in the morning if she is still swimming

I use the ‘humblefish instruction threads’ as starting point for most/all my plans. The addition of a splash of tank water to raise pH is stated in the freshwater dip thread.

Didn’t think about using DkH builder (not that I have any). I’m going to do a pH check in the RODI tomorrow just to have that data point in my brain. Add a splash of tank water and retest to see if it makes/made any difference

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno if this is what @HotRocks thinks should be done. He did say RO di water, but he did not mention anything about matching pH. I learned that a lower pH burns their gills and causes more stress. I presumed that to be true. But things have certainly evolved with the quarantine and treatment of fish.
I am happy to hear you are gonna separate them until they are on even terms. Poor girl needs a break. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno if this is what @HotRocks thinks should be done. He did say RO di water, but he did not mention anything about matching pH. I learned that a lower pH burns their gills and causes more stress. I presumed that to be true. But things have certainly evolved with the quarantine and treatment of fish.
I am happy to hear you are gonna separate them until they are on even terms. Poor girl needs a break. Fingers crossed.

He mentioned RO, and correct, he didn’t say anything about pH matching. I used the protocol from this thread

Freshwater Dip
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...p?threads/Freshwater-Dip.248898/&share_type=t

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, she didn’t make it. YT, RIP [emoji17]

Yesterday, added a separator, kept the lights super low, checked on her every 2-3 hours. Sometimes she’d by upright, but not really moving, other times she’d be on her side in the pvc. At those times I’d gently move her around to get some flow, but she’d sink as soon as I let her go.

Last night, around 9pm, she passed.

Small amount of bruising in the eyes, around the base of fins. Dark patches inside her body that you could see through the skin- hemorrhages I’d say. Possibly just signs of early rigor or decomp I guess.

I’m assuming the load of flatworms was too much and she succumbed to the combined effects of them and the FW dip. Maybe too much stress having them detach and leave behind all of the open wounds?

The purple tang is swimming around great, but he never seemed to have any turbellarians on him, although that would be extremely hard to see. I didn’t see any 4 days ago in the early am when he was in sleep mode and more pale. So I don’t think he was affected, which just seems weird to me. Going to stick with Prazipro and do an extra 30 days QT to be safe.

Today and tomorrow I’m sanitizing all of my tanks bar the 20 that PT is currently in. Then transfer him to a 10 after the last Prazipro dose.

Friday I’m going to go to a different store and pick up another YT. Start over in its own 10g . Then once she completes 14 day QT , observe for 2 weeks. Then DT

I’m wondering if I should cohabit the 2 tangs for a while in the 20 prior to going into the DT together, or just staggering them. I’d always intended to introduce the PT and YT together to avoid the PT getting a head start on finding territory, but that’s impossible now without keeping PT in extended QT, which I’d prefer not to do in case it exacerbated his HLLE.

Thoughts?

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, she didn’t make it. YT, RIP [emoji17]

Yesterday, added a separator, kept the lights super low, checked on her every 2-3 hours. Sometimes she’d by upright, but not really moving, other times she’d be on her side in the pvc. At those times I’d gently move her around to get some flow, but she’d sink as soon as I let her go.

Last night, around 9pm, she passed.

Small amount of bruising in the eyes, around the base of fins. Dark patches inside her body that you could see through the skin- hemorrhages I’d say. Possibly just signs of early rigor or decomp I guess.

I’m assuming the load of flatworms was too much and she succumbed to the combined effects of them and the FW dip. Maybe too much stress having them detach and leave behind all of the open wounds?

The purple tang is swimming around great, but he never seemed to have any turbellarians on him, although that would be extremely hard to see. I didn’t see any 4 days ago in the early am when he was in sleep mode and more pale. So I don’t think he was affected, which just seems weird to me. Going to stick with Prazipro and do an extra 30 days QT to be safe.

Today and tomorrow I’m sanitizing all of my tanks bar the 20 that PT is currently in. Then transfer him to a 10 after the last Prazipro dose.

Friday I’m going to go to a different store and pick up another YT. Start over in its own 10g . Then once she completes 14 day QT , observe for 2 weeks. Then DT

I’m wondering if I should cohabit the 2 tangs for a while in the 20 prior to going into the DT together, or just staggering them. I’d always intended to introduce the PT and YT together to avoid the PT getting a head start on finding territory, but that’s impossible now without keeping PT in extended QT, which I’d prefer not to do in case it exacerbated his HLLE.

Thoughts?

Sorry for the loss. At this point, I’d do separate QT and introduce them in either a new 20L observation or your DT. I put my new purple tangs in with my established PT and he went homicidal. Despite adding 3 new tangs (2 PTs and 1 Sailfin).

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. At this point, I’d do separate QT and introduce them in either a new 20L observation or your DT. I put my new purple tangs in with my established PT and he went homicidal. Despite adding 3 new tangs (2 PTs and 1 Sailfin).

Picking up a new YT tomorrow- I’ll do the 14 days, then 2 weeks introduction/ obs in the 20. Start of with a separator and go from there.

Bonus- I’m going to a ‘new to me’ store about 90 minutes away. Wouldn’t normally go that far, but they have a fat 4” YT. Perfect. Takes pellets. The clincher was that they also have a 1” long alpheus randalli pistol shrimp to go with Toby. My other places can’t get one and shipping is too expensive unless I blow $150.

This way, I get a pretty nice drive in the ATL sun, a wish list pistol shrimp and a fat healthy yellow tang.

Also- I spent 5 hours and 6 batteries mowing my lawn yesterday. I’m sun burned like a scots dude on a Florida vacation. Next week I take delivery of a new zero turn, courtesy of Katie. She said she can’t handle the kids alone if I get sunstroke and die, considering the mess I was in and it’s only mid-March. Lol.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking up a new YT tomorrow- I’ll do the 14 days, then 2 weeks introduction/ obs in the 20. Start of with a separator and go from there.

Bonus- I’m going to a ‘new to me’ store about 90 minutes away. Wouldn’t normally go that far, but they have a fat 4” YT. Perfect. Takes pellets. The clincher was that they also have a 1” long alpheus randalli pistol shrimp to go with Toby. My other places can’t get one and shipping is too expensive unless I blow $150.

This way, I get a pretty nice drive in the ATL sun, a wish list pistol shrimp and a fat healthy yellow tang.

Also- I spent 5 hours and 6 batteries mowing my lawn yesterday. I’m sun burned like a scots dude on a Florida vacation. Next week I take delivery of a new zero turn, courtesy of Katie. She said she can’t handle the kids alone if I get sunstroke and die, considering the mess I was in and it’s only mid-March. Lol.

Oh hell yea! Now we’re talking. Our soil temps are still a little too cold to start lawn work but I can’t wait!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our HOA insists we cut it, despite it still being dormant. At least it knocks the weeds back.

bfe03379e977c6bf936dcd2f1e42611a.jpg

Bermuda grass, but I’m going overseed with fescue or another cool season type and get a bit more green in the cooler months. I don’t mind the extra maintenance if we can keep it from looking so crunchy for an extra few months. We literally have a 5 month green season with the Bermuda, which is just silly

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back