OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a long tentacle nem, which needs a sand bed to bury its foot. It had only been in store 5 days, and Simon was about to move it from a basket to a invert tank with sand bed. Suggested if I had some sand in my QT, it might be best to put him there. I just happened to have put sand in a Tupperware for a tube anemone and feather duster I thought I was getting too.

I should have put the eggcrate divider in but got distracted. 10 minutes work could have avoided everything. Now I’m just hoping the meshes that came with the gyres actually work properly, because I’m anxious about him wandering the DT if I screw up the placement.

I just checked this am and everything is looking good. Nem is inflated, extending tentacles, buried foot in sand, so I’m thinking he’ll be okay.

The war favites (not a favia based on it having single mouth within the colored zone) had pretty nice extension last night, looking for food, and the GSP is A LOT bigger than he first appeared.

Ordering some coral frenzy from amazon prime today, and picking up a shrimp for the nem.

Shrimp for the nem to eat. Lol

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These white bugs are starting to seriously frustrate me. They’ve started jumping into the water column during the day, making for a distracting swirling mess in the tank.

Long side view
79ec8ab7d8050a4647f7dcaa434c56da.jpg

20b4941229fe59d032e6f1320fdfafb3.jpg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just found this little pile of them writhing around

I’m seeing 6 of these piles, but only on the bed reefsaver rock, not the pukani

6 vs 0 seems like a significant difference to this science geek

Also put a post up on the critter Id sub. I have a feeling it’s going to come back as “pods” with no real ID. Don’t look like any of the pods I’m familiar with though

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seed shrimp/ ostracod.

Harmless, potential dragonet food.

Now, how do I get a scooter blenny and a red scooter blenny through qt?

I'm wondering the same thing, and if I should get one that is trained and do a shorter period?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering the same thing, and if I should get one that is trained and do a shorter period?

My LFS gifted my then 2.5 year old one a few months ago, and I was completely unprepared regarding appropriate foods. I wasn’t happy, and it didn’t last very long through QT. I’m culturing pods for my next attempt... bottled pods are just so expensive.

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i won't have the time to feed multiple times a day unfortunately, i think it'll be frozen trained or direct into DT.

I know there's risk there, but i guess it's the risk of starvation of mandarin vs possible infection from 1 fish.

Of course you need an established pod population, so it can't be the first in the tank. My new tank was just set up a week ago, so it'll be a while before established pod populations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a tennis ball sized pulsing Xenia ([emoji15]) for the wife (it’s ok, it’ll be on its own [emoji907])

Another piece of GSP and a 3” diameter purple mouth green fungia.

I *could* have blown the grocery money on an indo ultra purple torch, but kids need food. So inconsiderate [emoji14]

a00ddc86d8c8da62beda3f91b9d56d44.jpg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to break it to you - Xenia can swim!

I’ve never had a piece migrate off a rock unless it’s been damaged and ripped off and I couldn’t find it.

I hate the stuff- but the wife insisted and half of it is in her office wall , and she let me use her space in the basement to build the fishroom, so it’s only fair

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pics aren’t mine, but I’ve been hunting for these for a long time and just can’t get them this good locally.

Anyone know where I can get acans like this online? Confirmed like this, not just from pics online? Did you order and feel like the acans you got lived up to the pics?

Thanks!!

c12ba414f9ffdf0af301d0a08f6ee1d7.jpg
674284b86070b54337d0156703a15c65.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pics aren’t mine, but I’ve been hunting for these for a long time and just can’t get them this good locally.

Anyone know where I can get acans like this online? Confirmed like this, not just from pics online? Did you order and feel like the acans you got lived up to the pics?

Thanks!!

c12ba414f9ffdf0af301d0a08f6ee1d7.jpg
674284b86070b54337d0156703a15c65.jpg
Not saying I have seen these there pricisely, but I can say the two Acans I bought from WWC were EXACTLY like their pictures.

Here are a few they have close to what you have shown:
https://worldwidecorals.com/collections/lps-frags/products/wwc-orangeade-aussie-lord-9326
https://worldwidecorals.com/collections/lps-frags/products/wwc-kaleidoscope-aussie-lord-13046
https://worldwidecorals.com/collections/lps-frags/products/orange-pinstripe-aussie-lord-10249

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My wife (Keeper of the Strings of Purse) wants a word with you...

U

User1

View Badges
I’ve never had a piece migrate off a rock unless it’s been damaged and ripped off and I couldn’t find it.

I hate the stuff- but the wife insisted and half of it is in her office wall , and she let me use her space in the basement to build the fishroom, so it’s only fair

Xenia is surprisingly a very popular coral not only for beginners. I think it may have been Tran over at Tidal Gardens who said it is one of their best sellers or is. I forget exactly - oh well.

I personally have a love / hate relationship with it. I believe you are right about it being damaged. I think that is more common especially when we try and remove it. It is super slimy and when you try and grab, pinch, and pull, well, fingers slip and Xenia floats away only to grow elsewhere. It will also detach. Not sure if this is on its own or by how it is growing and Mother Nature, Xenia, and water flow / current meet the great trifecta and it breaks away on its own. I've a few pieces growing in my tank now that did that. Then there is the whole survival thing whereas Xenia struggles, dies back, and when you think it is gone it recovers. Not only does it recover you then find it back in a place that it died from and it is happy like a pig in the mud.

Interesting coral for sure. Very relaxing, peaceful, surreal. Closest thing to being in outer space for me was a shallow night dive over a reef crest full of Xenia. So much like sand my tanks will always have Xenia for this very reason. Which means I may need to place corals on acrylic sticks stuffed in my Pukani rock so everyone is happy. We shall see how it goes.

Edit: Nice tank btw - was a good read and I still have more to do.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back