OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#saf1- nice to meet you. I’ve seen you around on a bunch of threads and always enjoyed your comments. Thanks for the Xenia info- your ideas regarding damage, stress response etc are very close to how I think this ‘weed’ of a coral adapts and survives. Interesting reading.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice additions, how long are you qt ing the corals for?

The full 76 bro. Not taking any chances with my fish. I have a PT I nursed back from pretty bad HLLE and I don’t want to lose it or any of my other fish.

I have a hard enough time when I lose something in QT- losing something due to a preventable disease would really hurt . I think it’s compassion fatigue from my many years as a vaccine researcher.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done the coral QT yet. How does Bayer dip not kill ick and velvet? It seems that it should.

Simple answer is that they are unicellular microorganisms that don’t possess the biochemical processes targeted by the bayer.

Edit - Expanded on this in a later post, really isn’t a simple situation

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an anti-vaccer, antivacer...what ever now, are you?

Oh, heck no!!!!!!

Just an overqualified, highly specialized scientist that’s a non-citizen (those sweet sweet gov jobs are out of reach for me) and moved to a non-biotech area for family reasons, and is now a SAHD

I’m pretty active on vaccine education sites and occasionally troll anti- vaccine sites. I actually was able to talk a 19 year old Scientologist into getting MMR vaccine a couple years ago. Proud of that one. Not going to Doxx myself any further though.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also wondered if a UV would be a good idea on a coral QT. I can see why one would not want it on a fish QT that has medications. But I am thinking about a UV for the coral QT. I wonder/believe if I introduced dinos to my tank when I got all all those frags from the swap. And then my tanks environment was a perfect environment for them to thrive. I am sure they are one of the many organisms that live in our tanks most of the time in harmony/balance unnoticed and unseen. There are seriously a jillion things we have seen from our tank in a microscope. All normally unseen and unobtrusive.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also wondered if a UV would be a good idea on a coral QT. I can see why one would not want it on a fish QT that has medications. But I am thinking about a UV for the coral QT. I wonder/believe if I introduced dinos to my tank when I got all all those frags from the swap. And then my tanks environment was a perfect environment for them to thrive. I am sure they are one of the many organisms that live in our tanks most of the time in harmony/balance unnoticed and unseen. There are seriously a jillion things we have seen from our tank in a microscope. All normally unseen and unobtrusive.

I believe running a UV would provide benefit in an non- medicated tank, but only against freeswimming parasites- it wouldn’t be effective against encysted tomonts. It’s so hard to find the right balance of preventative and stress-free.

Oh, yeah. Once things settle down a bit Re: promotion travel (lol, yeah, that’ll happen. She’ll be running the company in three years the rate she is pushing it...) imma go grab a bunch of every biome in that tank and spend hours just looking at stuff. I used to do the same thing as a kid with puddles and leaf litter. My folks got me the microscope I requested when I was 6... instead of the he-man action figure that was the craze back then- and I’ve never gone a period of time without looking down the tubes. Longest was the 6 months immediately after the move- grieving losing my lab I guess. But I always get drawn back in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there cell wall resistant to peroxide also?

I’d like to clarify my earlier response:

While bayer dip may be partially effective against the freeswimming form of these parasites (not complete killing so multiple dips needed) our main concern is the tomont cyst stage attached to the frag.

Bacterial and protozoal cysts are literally indestructible with any of the options available to us. Really, the only way to kill cysts is to gamma irradiate or do a high pressure steam sterilization (autoclave). Botulinum spores for example can survive bleach treatment. In the case of ich and velvet tomonts, not even copper can penetrate the outer cyst wall.

Our only option is to wait out the life-cycle of the cyst stage - 45 days/velvet, 72/ich- let freeswimmers hatch, then let them starve. Ich freeswimmers die in 3 days without feeding and velvet takes 15 since its photosynthetic and can supplement its diet for a short period.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, heck no!!!!!!

Just an overqualified, highly specialized scientist that’s a non-citizen (those sweet sweet gov jobs are out of reach for me) and moved to a non-biotech area for family reasons, and is now a SAHD

I’m pretty active on vaccine education sites and occasionally troll anti- vaccine sites. I actually was able to talk a 19 year old Scientologist into getting MMR vaccine a couple years ago. Proud of that one. Not going to Doxx myself any further though.
I was sure ***** no was your answer. I have been thinking about this. Do those sites really exist? That seems crazy. But I guess this is the age of information. You can find a site for everything I bet. So I am glad you offer your support and try to correct misinformation. That is so important. It is amazing to me how much misinformation exists about disease, how it spreads, the body, medications.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sure ***** no was your answer. I have been thinking about this. Do those sites really exist? That seems crazy. But I guess this is the age of information. You can find a site for everything I bet. So I am glad you offer your support and try to correct misinformation. That is so important. It is amazing to me how much misinformation exists about disease, how it spreads, the body, medications.

I can send you down a rabbit hole that will infuriate you and make you weep for the victims. Because that’s what the kids born to these people are. Victims.

I actually started a outreach education campaign out of a temporary office space when I moved to Nashville. It was all based out of the hospital but they wanted me to use a different address for LLC reasons. It got vandalized 6 weeks after the program started, I got death threats after 3 months, and I had to shut it down. Hard to determine if that impacted my tenure review and how that ended up.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can send you down a rabbit hole that will infuriate you and make you weep for the victims. Because that’s what the kids born to these people are. Victims.

I actually started a outreach education campaign out of a temporary office space when I moved to Nashville. It was all based out of the hospital but they wanted me to use a different address for LLC reasons. It got vandalized 6 weeks after the program started, I got death threats after 3 months, and I had to shut it down. Hard to determine if that impacted my tenure review and how that ended up.
Seriously? That is astounding. But I suppose it (antivaccination) is the kind of concept that is going to draw folks who enjoy polarizing conflicts. People are strange.
Hospitals are a strange mix of goals. Patient care, profit. These two ideals are always in play. I work for a not for profit. Look at the leaderships pay and bonuses and tell me we are not highly profitable. I am fortunate that they value nurses like me. And pay me well to do my job. But man, sometimes I just shake my head. Regarding your recent exit from the " paying occupation" ... politics and social interaction always play a role in that level of the healthcare/research employment. I am sure you got the shaft for reasons unrelated to your performance.
I am not that ambitious to take on such big issues that need advocacy. It is commendable that you are. I am a fierce patient advocate when I am at work, but I walk away from all projects that take commitment outside of work. I am often pressured to join these committees and projects but I am firm when I say no.
When I was in my 20s I was always raging against the machine, any injustice. Now I keep my energy on my family and me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back