Neil’s in wall 180 with basement fishroom

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by neilp2006, May 13, 2018.

1. neilp2006

neilp2006 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Started gfo today. Apparently the brs reactors have a 2.25 cup capacity. There’s like 3 inches of space at the top but it’s tumbling nicely

Did I show you guys the reactor manifold? I hooked them up to a 400gph inexpensive amazon pump with separate John guest valves. I put a tee in, reactors to the right, and transfer line to left. If I want an extra 10% on my water change, I pump the skimmer section up to the settling tank and let it drain to the waste as part of a normal WC

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. neilp2006

Down doing a 24hr post GFO start po4 test, and this little guy apparently took a trip down the return line...

[​IMG]

NY_Caveman, Victoria M and najer like this.
  3. neilp2006

Been running BRS High Capacity GFO to bring down silicates to combat the Chrysophytes.

Measurements taken with the Hanna Phosphorus ULR

Pre gfo (May 16th reading): 0.4ppm

GFO +12 hours: 0.06 ppm
    GFO +24 hours: 0.01ppm

So the idea of GFO only pulling out silicates in the first 18-24 hours appears to be incorrect.

Going to pull the GFO reactor, then retest in 24 hours to see where we are.

NY_Caveman and najer like this.
  4. najer

najer Valuable Member

Hope you get your levels where you want them soon, unlucky with the phos.

NY_Caveman likes this.
  5. neilp2006

Yeah- frustrated. I did an exact 24 hours, at suggested amounts/gallon. I wasn’t expecting it to have come down much, if any, in that time. I didn’t want to pull the reactor since I was trying to clear silicates.

Now I’m thinking I probably still have a bunch of silicate in the tank since the gfo bound po4 so fast.

It’s a little bit trial and error- not many people have dealt with this algae.

I can either feed heavy for a couple days, or, more likely, dose po4. Will need to look up the info on that though

NY_Caveman and najer like this.
  6. najer

najer Valuable Member

I would feed more but that's just me.

NY_Caveman likes this.
  7. neilp2006

I’m going to reduce skimmer time (currently 24h) and let it balance for a week and see where we are at.

NY_Caveman, Victoria M and najer like this.
  8. Victoria M

Victoria M Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Lol.

NY_Caveman likes this.
  9. neilp2006

Did a big project on the tank today- overflow replacement!!

I was never happy with the synergy shadow overflow for several reasons, which I won’t get into her because I don’t want to attract the trolls and get banned.

Anyway- I’ve been considering a replacement since Christmas, and a month or so ago finally pulled the trigger on a custom Exotic Marine Systems overflow courtesy of @TaylorPilot. We traded a few emails detailing the weird combination of shortened outer box with offset holes (due to my in wall recessed tank) that I needed, and I pulled the trigger. Less than a week later, it arrived and it is BEAUTIFUL. Amazing craftsmanship, very heavy duty and today I found out it fits perfectly!!

So- I drained the tank down to below the shadow - and got distracted, resulting in this close call

[​IMG]

Removed the shadow and mock fit the EMS. Cut the necessary plumbing, patched the drywall hole recess that was starting to mold due to salt creep from the flimsy shadow lid, and completed the install.

3 hours, start to finish, including an hour for drywall mud to dry before I sealed it.

Exchanged the outer box standpipes and BA plumbing - NOTE- the exact same plumbing was put into the EMS, no cutting or adding other pieces. Refilled the tank, fired up the return pump and took 7 minutes to tube the new box in. I’m now running the pump at 79% -was 83%- and using the old plumbing, the BOX IS TOTALLY SILENT.

The tank is so quiet in fact, I can hear my dog breathing through the other room and one of my AC ducts is vibrating a little.

Added benefit is noise and bubble reduction in the sump since it isn’t surging like it used to.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Extremely happy with how this turned out.

Thanks to @TaylorPilot for the overflow work, and @Dubs83 for pointing me towards EMS!!

Cheers

10. Dubs83

Dubs83 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Brilliant, mate. Glad you moved on this. I’ll tel you what, because of all the issues you don’t want to talk about but I know you had, when I switched to EMS, I couldn’t sleep for a few days because it was so silent. Lol. I was panicking that there’s something wrong.

Nice work man

NY_Caveman, najer and Victoria M like this.
  11. neilp2006

Lol, yeah.

I think my dog has emphysema. I can hear the dude loud breathing from the next room

NY_Caveman, najer and Dubs83 like this.
  12. neilp2006

Another side benefit-

I can run my two xf250 gyres on pulsating mode at 70 and 80% with no increase in noise.

Previously I had them on constant at 30 and 40%.

13. neilp2006

Lol- just got back home from buying some acrylic to make float sensor holders and I thought I’d forgotten to switch the return pump back in.

Nope- tank running perfectly.

Why’d I wait so long?

14. Victoria M

Victoria M Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Man, I am so jealous. My overflow has become so noisy with this rebuild it weird. But it's a built-in and I'm stuck with it for now. I need to figure out how to do that silencing thing you did along time ago. I'm going to add a picture of what I'm doing now.
    image.jpg
    Drinking a martini and chilling in the hammock.

NY_Caveman, najer and Dubs83 like this.
  15. TaylorPilot

TaylorPilot Valuable Member

I am so glad you are liking it!

16. neilp2006

I’m not just liking it- it’s like a dream come true. It’s truly silent

17. neilp2006

Knocked out a handful of these acrylic float sensor holders. $9 in materials for 8 holders.

This is an adhesion test for the suction cups- May have to size them up 1, or use 2 on each. We’ll see

[​IMG][​IMG]

I’m setting up an ATO container refill that I can activate manually via apex. The floats are for the bob to send alerts for when the ATO reservoir is low, then I turn on the outlet to activate the NC solenoid in-line in the refill tubing from my RODI container (currently has a manual John guest 1/4” valve I turn to refill). I also have the float valve in the container, and I’ll set the max time the outlet can be on, if I forget. Of course, I can have the outlet activate in the BOB command, and may very well do that, but for now I’ll keep it manual.

Was planning to use the apex ready solenoid, but it was $45 with power supply. I pieced this one together for $15. I have John guest 1/4” fittings around here somewhere.

[​IMG]

This is all due to a surprise vacation to destin the wife has planned for aug 3- 18th. 15 days.

My ATO container is 20g, and my evaporation rate right now is 4g/day. I didn’t want to have to ask someone to flip the refill valve and remember to come back in 4 hours to shut it off. This way they can just concentrate on feeding. If they leave it open, I’ll essentially have a 75g ATO container. This way, I get the low alert, hit the button, get high alert, shut off/outlet times out . I’ll have 18 days worth of rodi in the 2 containers as long as my evap rate stays constant.

najer and NY_Caveman like this.
  18. neilp2006

Of course, what I didn’t mention is that I also have to make my own breakout boxes...

NY_Caveman likes this.
  19. neilp2006

Adhesion test on the small suction cups was a fail, but the bigger ones worked. Just have to enlarge holes without breaking the holder.

najer likes this.
  20. neilp2006

Well, that’s new...

[​IMG]

najer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted