Fishroom Reality Check

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neil, why can’t we dose a QT with a ton of peroxide to sanitize it and let it aerate/run for a day or two and then use it for a new batch of fish?
I am using the hybrid TTM . peroxide/formalin dip -> transfer to clean new QT ->peroxide/formalin dip -> new QT. There is more... I get that the peroxide/formalin dip makes the parasites drop off- not kill them. But wouldn’t a high enough concentration of peroxide dosed after the fish are removed of course, kill everything and then neutralize itself?
Also I understand that parasites buried deeper in the tissue would not be effected and that is why we repeat the process.
I also question why aerate the water for the dip prior to adding the peroxide because doesn’t peroxide increase available O2 in the water? Making the aeration unnecessary? I was reading some interesting papers by Borneman regarding aeration in tanks, O2 saturation...blah, blah, that I think Taricha linked in that other thread.
Jiminy christmas...I have vertigo so bad that I can not think straight. Seriously can not do serial math at this time...so please forgive me if I sound drunk.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. How is Craig?
Doing better. Mid water column, swimming in a wider area. Improving

Sorry for the drive by comments. I’m solo daddy until next Saturday- Katie left yesterday for a 7 day 10 city trip fir work and family decided North Carolina was a better place to be.

And, with C - we are firmly in Threenager territory...

I’ll get some comments back to you regarding your Qs tomorrow when girls are at daycare.

Thinking of starting lights out on Tuesday :oops:

Do you feed them during lights out? Just chuck it in and hope for the best?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

Craig the Clownfish is doing much, much better. swimming the full volume of the tank, his attitude/swim trim (i had a pm asking me how i knew how my fishes feelings/attitude was, lol) seems to be perfect. taking food as it drops. The eye is gone, but 80% of the damage to his fins and scales, including one pretty bad contusion i thought was going to leave a scar, has gone. Im going to fatten him up a bit with some nice meaty snacks soaked in selcon and put him back in DT after lights out.

So, yeah. started my 3 day blackout in an attempt to get the chrysophytes to receed. First time doing a blackout, so i am VERY ANXIOUS... Michael J was spooked as i put the trashbags up, and the tangs squabbled for a bit but then went to their sleeping corners.

88BF18D2-07D5-4FCE-B421-5678D59B9DF5.jpeg
CCA94090-313A-40D5-AB12-D1F980F84454.jpeg

plan is to remove bags at 11 am friday and do a big rock scrub, siphon and then water change. going to try to do 100g. setting a barrel upstairs so i can mix 50 next to the tank and use my 400gph reactor pump to put it in. another 50 into the sump- thatll practically be a full sump drain out. give me a chance to clean it all out. clean the pump while im at it.

if my plan is successful, then the open niche on the rocks and the elevated nutrients (NO3 @ 6ppm, PO4 @ 0.17 for 8 days straight now, dosing every 2 days) will let cyanobacteria and algae (hoping for GHA, lol) colonise. those are easier to deal with than this chrysophytes has been. in theory.

once the rocks are clean- next week im putting my coral dudes in the tank. they have been in a holding pattern in the QT for WAY too long.

cheers

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unscripted apex return pump power loss at 8.32pm. Blipped off for 9 seconds- have a feeling my internet connection dropped, and this was the relay resetting after reconnect. The same fallback:ON failure I saw the other week.

Other than a concerned 3 year old freaking out about the sudden siphon gurgle noise, nothing to note, other than my continued slight annoyance that this apex stuff doesn’t quite hit the mark it sets for itself.

Does remind me I need to move my ATO outlet to a controlled outlet with a defer statement. It takes my return chamber 3-4 minutes to stabilize, and that could end up being almost a gallon of added RODI. That’s 0.3% of system volume, so it won’t hurt salinity all that much, but I’d rather it not do that.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That just really sucks.
It really does, considering I’ve been told that the relays don’t reset on reconnect, but it’s happened 5 times now, twice during testing to reproduce the effect. Someone suggested it was cheap electronics in the jebao (of course, blame the jebao...:rolleyes:) so I hooked up a small relay and buzzer to a second outlet, and got a 2-300msec chirp out of it.

Once I get time I’m going to set up the Canon and record the whole thing and open a ticket.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49 hours into the blackout. Did a quick fish count last night and all are accounted for.

00A98569-4AAA-4015-8BD4-47199FC0D41A.jpeg

Tomorrow, I’m planning on completely emptying the sump (60-ish gallons now the fuge is temp offline) and scrubbing the display rocks and siphoning our the debris. Plan on a 50 gallon removal and replace. Prepping water for that now, in a barrel next to the DT.
32EB44D5-6434-4937-B8AB-2F4F6A0E29FF.jpeg

That’ll be a 42% WC. Big tanks get expensive...

I REALLY HOPE I see good things tomorrow. I don’t think I want to do this all over again in a couple weeks . If I have to, I’ll be adding an additional chemical step, which I want to avoid.

Courtesy of amazon free returns, I decided to stop pouring over light specs for phytopod farm v2 and order 5 different lights. I’m going to do a head to head comparison (probably won’t post that here, but will in the PPF2 reveal post). I’ve spent too long trying to decide on ‘perfect’ without even putting hands on any of them.

I will be going daylight white though- because I like using the richness of the green when judging when to split. Using a RB grow light would likely increase yield, but you can’t see green if you don’t reflect green light off a chloroplast...

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49 hours into the blackout. Did a quick fish count last night and all are accounted for.

00A98569-4AAA-4015-8BD4-47199FC0D41A.jpeg

Tomorrow, I’m planning on completely emptying the sump (60-ish gallons now the fuge is temp offline) and scrubbing the display rocks and siphoning our the debris. Plan on a 50 gallon removal and replace. Prepping water for that now, in a barrel next to the DT.
32EB44D5-6434-4937-B8AB-2F4F6A0E29FF.jpeg

That’ll be a 42% WC. Big tanks get expensive...

I REALLY HOPE I see good things tomorrow. I don’t think I want to do this all over again in a couple weeks . If I have to, I’ll be adding an additional chemical step, which I want to avoid.

Courtesy of amazon free returns, I decided to stop pouring over light specs for phytopod farm v2 and order 5 different lights. I’m going to do a head to head comparison (probably won’t post that here, but will in the PPF2 reveal post). I’ve spent too long trying to decide on ‘perfect’ without even putting hands on any of them.

I will be going daylight white though- because I like using the richness of the green when judging when to split. Using a RB grow light would likely increase yield, but you can’t see green if you don’t reflect green light off a chloroplast...
Happy to hear all the fish are accounted for. :) Sounds like a solid plan. Are you also going to refresh carbon filter media? I overlooked this in the past .

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude. what the heck!? I re subscribed to your thread and STILL NO UPDATE notifications. Neptune must hosting this site now. Ugh!

I’m starting to think I should take the profilux 3 trade I was offered....

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude. what the heck!? I re subscribed to your thread and STILL NO UPDATE notifications. Neptune must hosting this site now. Ugh!

I’m starting to think I should take the profilux 3 trade I was offered....
You too? I haven’t had any update notes for yours, VicM, brew12... I figured it was something about moving from Tapatalk to the web link.?

Might not be a bad idea with the P3 trade. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to try a few different things before settling in something. If it means you can actually monitor your tank while you’re out working, that’s kinda the point of the controller in the first place, right?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to hear all the fish are accounted for. :) Sounds like a solid plan. Are you also going to refresh carbon filter media? I overlooked this in the past .

I don’t run carbon as a routine thing. I have BRS 0.8 ROX, so it doesn’t put anything into the water, but I don’t like the idea that carbon overuse may contribute to HLLE.

I will say- I am about to make a couple big changes to the mechanical filtration aspect of my sump - ie, going from 0 to >0...) and I have been considering running rox maybe 1 week a month or so. Hopefully contribute to some clarity in the water.

This Chrysophytes colors the water pretty bad. It’s been running a pretty light tannin kinda color, and I now I could have gotten rid of it with carbon, but I wasn’t sure how long I’d need to run it, a s with a PT with a history of HLLE, I didn’t want to risk it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back