User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200224_165409__02.jpg

Had to return this fine specimen. Just too big for my setup / preference. Forgive my green hair algae! It's a work in progress.
Pretty. That's too bad

I had a yellow tang. Bought it right when Hawaii exports closed, fir $85. I see them everywhere fir 35 now. Was doing great for months, then went downhill real quick in a week. So bummed. I loved the look of the purple tang alongside the yellow tang. Not sure if I'll get another

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tang. Bought it right when Hawaii exports closed, fir $85. I see them everywhere fir 35 now. Was doing great for months, then went downhill real quick in a week. So bummed. I loved the look of the purple tang alongside the yellow tang. Not sure if I'll get another
The yellow tangs here in Canada are all over $100 everywhere that I've seen, with the larger ones about $150ish. We decided to not get a yellow tang, so that we had different tangs than everyone else- which turned out to be cheaper too.

Are you a fan of the scopas tang? Maybe try one of those? I think they have a super nice color, even though they could be considered a tad plain.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow tangs here in Canada are all over $100 everywhere that I've seen, with the larger ones about $150ish. We decided to not get a yellow tang, so that we had different tangs than everyone else- which turned out to be cheaper too.

Are you a fan of the scopas tang? Maybe try one of those? I think they have a super nice color, even though they could be considered a tad plain.
I actually don't like the scopus all that much. Just seems drab to me. Ditto for the hippo. I do like yellow eye koles, but won't get one.

My tang plan has always been:

Purple
Yellow
DesJ sailfin
Powder blue

But I kinda went off of the PB's. Don't know why. I went to the Atlanta Aquarium and saw a bunch of them in the tunnel tank, and justvthought 'meh'.

So now the plan is to do Purple, desiJ, and tomini. Nix the Yellow and replace with a Midas blenny (for the color splash abs personality). I have a mag fox face (Michael J) that is stunning and getting close to 6". So I can't do too many more in the 4-6" range. I want to have 20-25 smaller fish too.

Local store had a black tang- stunning- but I couldn't justice ft the price. Jet black also wasn't really in the colour palette I was going for.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What other tangs do you have?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coco worm just came out in anticipation of the nightly phyto dose, and its missing its crown!! Uugghh. Was just starting to get big again after it drop it during shipping.

Man, that blows.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other tangs do you have?
That's nice of you to ask! :) We have 3 - A scopas tang, a flame fin tomini tang, and a pacific sailfin tang. We added them about 2 weeks ago & all at the same time. Then we added a desj tang the day after, but we felt it was too big so we took it back for credit.

Our 'tang trio' are fairly small specimens which is what I was looking for. I'm eager to grow them out myself and watch them mature. So far they all seem to get along. Our flame angel was the boss of the tank and was NOT HAVING IT when we added the 3 tangs. She was chasing and swiping her tail at them, and guarding her cave like we couldn't believe. But after a day or two of realizing they weren't after her cave (or her lunch!) she settled right down and swims alongside them. They seem to be great friends so far! I don't see any nipping going on, but a little bit of chasing from time to time.

I'll post a video. I'm still new to the hobby and I have some green hair algae going on, so please excuse the mess in the display! : )

(Adjust video quality to 1080p or better for best viewing experience)

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1: tomini tang

TTM1 @32 hours, she is eating pellets pretty well, 1 gallon WC/ salinity adjust up to 1.017 tolerated very well.

She's a little flighty, but I'm sure she'll settle in over the next few days.

Going to try some garlic infused nori tomorrow- first h2o2 scheduled for Sunday 2pm

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came here hoping to see a new coral QT set up.
Lol, tomorrow patient padwan. Maybe Monday- tomorrow is my first h2o2 treatment on Tomi and the girls only nap for an hour after second breakfast, so I don't get a lot of time

But today- in that hour- I got a 9 minute 17% WC and glass clean on the DT, repositioned the gyres for SandG- torch and hammers are loving new flow- , nannochloropsis split and culture expanded, grindal and white worm cultures checked and fed, 10%wc and salinity adjust on the mollies, 10% wc salinity adjust on Toni (started at 1.016! But is now up to 1.018 after 3 days. My personal max rate is 0.001 sg/day) , fishroom tidied up, the 40b rinsed out fircuse (stored it in fishroom top up so there's salt condensation residue and dust in there).

I've really been feeling it since getting back into R2R. Thanks for the butt kick I needed to drag me out of my doldrums

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, tomorrow patient padwan. Maybe Monday- tomorrow is my first h2o2 treatment on Tomi and the girls only nap for an hour after second breakfast, so I don't get a lot of time

But today- in that hour- I got a 9 minute 17% WC and glass clean on the DT, repositioned the gyres for SandG- torch and hammers are loving new flow- , nannochloropsis split and culture expanded, grindal and white worm cultures checked and fed, 10%wc and salinity adjust on the mollies, 10% wc salinity adjust on Toni (started at 1.016! But is now up to 1.018 after 3 days. My personal max rate is 0.001 sg/day) , fishroom tidied up, the 40b rinsed out fircuse (stored it in fishroom top up so there's salt condensation residue and dust in there).

I've really been feeling it since getting back into R2R. Thanks for the butt kick I needed to drag me out of my doldrums
Holy Moley! That was a lot done in a super short amount of time.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benefit of having every protocol streamlined and prepped.
@Victoria M

After being so braggadocious, I got bit!

I was in the QT area siphoning the gross TTM1 water into the sink ejector pump bucket (my basements is below the house plumbing- the pipes run along my basement ceiling- so I need to pump all my basement waste water up using an ejector pump) when I hear a grinding noise and my bucket starts to overflow. Uuggh. 5 gallons f water over the floor before I break the siphOn. So I disassemble everything, pull the pump and find a syringe plunger in the impellor, jamming it. Pump is fine, just messy.

That'll teach me to brag!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

Need some advice - going to a sell my 40b that Is currently unused and get a 20 gallon from petco $/g sale instead.

For coral QT- 10 gallon LONG or HIGH? I have all the other bits and pieces required, just can't settle on format.

Long: lights will be brighter due to shallow depth, easier to work in.

High: more light gradient due to 3 levels of rack, smaller footprint.

What say you?

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

Need some advice - going to a sell my 40b that Is currently unused and get a 20 gallon from petco $/g sale instead.

For coral QT- 10 gallon LONG or HIGH? I have all the other bits and pieces required, just can't settle on format.

What say you?
No, no, no. Save that 40B for an emergency. I wish I had a bigger tank when I got a toxic dinos. So now my 40B is tucked in a corner for a what if.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

What say you?
I say... 15g has been perfect for me. That is all I got. LOL

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back