Fishroom Reality Check

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, I’m trying to REDUCE the budget, not add to it.

Let's be honest here, we're reefers, when do we ever follow the budget? ;):rolleyes: Kidding!

As a side question were you planning on insulating all 4 walls??? I forgot to ask that earlier

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's be honest here, we're reefers, when do we ever follow the budget? ;):rolleyes: Kidding!

As a side question were you planning on insulating all 4 walls??? I forgot to ask that earlier

Yes- was planning on insulating all 4 walls, but the basement hasn’t dropped below 68 degrees, even in mid winter.

I’m thinking/ hoping I might be able to drop the insulation from the internal facing walls and save $2-300. If I do that, I’ll probably use XP’s foam to insulate the sump glass. I wouldn’t really save much, then I’d need to factor in the extra electricity to heat (might not be much, but it’s more than it would be if I insulated).

Last edited:

Johnny K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I get it, maybe what I did was overkill. I had golden opportunity to make these changes, so I was willing to go above and beyond what was probably necessary. Secondly, I don't have a build thread. I'm new here and trying to figure this out lol. This is a link to my media, I have an album of the build. If that doesn't work, you should be able to access it from my profile. The room has been up and running for a while, I'll have to take some pictures of it currently.
https://www.reef2reef.com/members/johnny-k.101361/

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the goals for enclosing the fish room? Are you planning on finishing the rest of the basement? Do you have a floor plan of the entire basement? Why are you isolating fish room from utility sink? If the basement never got below 68 degrees is insulation necessary?
Depending on your goals it seems as thought there is a lot of money to be saved.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the goals for enclosing the fish room? Are you planning on finishing the rest of the basement? Do you have a floor plan of the entire basement? Why are you isolating fish room from utility sink? If the basement never got below 68 degrees is insulation necessary?
Depending on your goals it seems as thought there is a lot of money to be saved.

Aims- not having my tools rust out, my water get contaminated by wood dust, and to stop my two kids messing with tank stuff while they are in the play area immediately adjacent. The long wall for the room closes off part of the basement fir a lounge area. Bottom right of the schematic pic that says ‘double doors’ , a set of double doors will close off the lounge area and my wood shop.

Rest of basement is currently unfinished but is a wood shop and electronics area, and about 10 x15 tote storage and storm shelter-to-be

A 1/4 of the basement directly where the stairs enter is being finished as a lounge area, etc room, kids toys/play area.

The sink / water station is separate because I would lose that footprint inside the room . Having it outside frees up an entire wall where I can get a bench and a frag tank, as well as a 29 g cryptic refugium. Plus I get to use it for non-fish related stuff.

Regarding insulation- it’s $125 to insulate the whole room with r13. I think that’s s decent price for offsetting some electricity cost for more heating.

I don’t think there’s much to be saved in materials cost. It is what it is. Actually, 10% off with contractor pricing so more expensive to diy . However, if I do most of it diy, I can cut labor costs by 2-3 days- that’s where I’ll save the grand. I’ll have them do the things I’d rather not do- like framing, hanging doors and hanging drywall on the ceiling, and I’ll hang the walls, paint and run electrical and ventilation.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this reason for not enclosing the water station and sink-

Fish room reality check
“If I extended the wall to encompass the sink- I basically cut my basement in half. It would come all the way up to my utility room with boiler etc. and I’d have to add egress point fir fire escape if I fully enclose a section.

By reducing the box- I avoid having to add egress and get a better layout for the rest of the basement.
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/4721451/

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aims- not having my tools rust out, my water get contaminated by wood dust, and to stop my two kids messing with tank stuff while they are in the play area immediately adjacent. The long wall for the room closes off part of the basement fir a lounge area. Bottom right of the schematic pic that says ‘double doors’ , a set of double doors will close off the lounge area and my wood shop.

Rest of basement is currently unfinished but is a wood shop and electronics area, and about 10 x15 tote storage and storm shelter-to-be

A 1/4 of the basement directly where the stairs enter is being finished as a lounge area, etc room, kids toys/play area.

The sink / water station is separate because I would lose that footprint inside the room . Having it outside frees up an entire wall where I can get a bench and a frag tank, as well as a 29 g cryptic refugium. Plus I get to use it for non-fish related stuff.

Regarding insulation- it’s $125 to insulate the whole room with r13. I think that’s s decent price for offsetting some electricity cost for more heating.

I don’t think there’s much to be saved in materials cost. It is what it is. Actually, 10% off with contractor pricing so more expensive to diy . However, if I do most of it diy, I can cut labor costs by 2-3 days- that’s where I’ll save the grand. I’ll have them do the things I’d rather not do- like framing, hanging doors and hanging drywall on the ceiling, and I’ll hang the walls, paint and run electrical and ventilation.
This all makes sense. I agree for $125 the insulation cant hurt. I also agree it seems as though the labor is the best place to save the money. With all these considerations, I think your plan is good. Regarding the window, I would keep it. I would place my wall between the two windows. Access to fresh air is invaluable for a basement sump. They appear to be modern windows and I don't think you gain much by covering them.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, those windows are 25 year old, single pane, rotting frame, held up by paint pieces of crap. If our HOA wasn’t giving us the runaround about replacements, they’d be gone already

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have exhaust make up air coming from the main floor, and adding a small fresh air intake for the skimmer.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, those windows are 25 year old, single pane, rotting frame, held up by paint pieces of crap. If our HOA wasn’t giving us the runaround about replacements, they’d be gone already
It seems like you may have you mind made up on the window. I would still prefer to have the option for direct venting in almost all circumstances. The only room in my home without a window is my boiler room ( i have two 10" ducts bringing in fresh makeup air), and if given the option i would prefer to have a window (in addition to the vents). I don't think you gain much by covering the window.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have mentioned- HOA doesn’t allow us to have windows that open on ground level basement walkouts... unless they are French doors. they are literally screwed shut. I should have said that earlier.

And I already had a letter stating that window needs either curtains or blinds. I can’t do ‘no treatment’. So I’m installing left over blinds, then plywood over the top then the wall... I know, it’s a pain in the butt, but this is our forever home and we are new, so we’d rather comply with the HOA.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I had to many windows open and was commenting on a different subject, Looks great by the way

Lol, no problem. It’s funny though- what finally pushed us over the edge of really going for a bigger system is that our two year old is obsessed with everything ocean based. Me and the wife are big time scuba divers, so we have nautical stuff around the house and it’s a theme, but she is really into reef fish. She is going to be a big part of the reef as it matures

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick sketch of the proposed basement layout to give perspective

basement layout sketch.jpg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So- worked something out with the contractor. We are doing it in stages, where they will frame and hang ceiling and doors, I will then do floors, plywood walls insulation and paint, then they will do the outside drywall, tape, mud and paint. Will stagger the work by 6 weeks, which means I’ll be done with the room and setting up TTM for new fish so they get through QT just in time for girl #2’s arrival!

First PT bottom plate goes in a week from Saturday. Which means I have to break down, empty and move my 185 gallon sump system from the testing area, then prep the floors for epoxy, and cover the window!

Yay!

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So- worked something out with the contractor. We are doing it in stages, where they will frame and hang ceiling and doors, I will then do floors, plywood walls insulation and paint, then they will do the outside drywall, tape, mud and paint. Will stagger the work by 6 weeks, which means I’ll be done with the room and setting up TTM for new fish so they get through QT just in time for girl #2’s arrival!

First PT bottom plate goes in a week from Saturday. Which means I have to break down, empty and move my 185 gallon sump system from the testing area, then prep the floors for epoxy, and cover the window!

Yay!
Have Fun!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little progress update-

Got the window cleaned up and boarded up (looks just like regular closed blinds from outside, HOA will be satisfied), spigot shut-off and gas fireplace shut-off repositioned so they are outside the confines of the room, floor has been scraped, paint and grease residue washed off, and rinsed , and chalk lines snapped and annotated.

Even got a few hours to set up some tables as laid out on my schematic, but they are off by a few inches in height here and there. Very confident that I’ll have a bunch of space to move in this room .

One last day of organizing, and waiting for the framers to come Saturday!

2e2d79416c9d419ca993fb05c4ff9669.jpg
b9dd7cf4d89fcdf7d97e86409ab3c82f.jpg
75f3610e813da546175ccdf312522860.jpg
2f7b270a97dd718dfe2f36714be2174b.jpg

Just some 11th hour doubts regarding my electrical plan. I’ll be posted a thread soon regarding a couple questions/concerns

Cheers!

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just saw your thread, looks great !!

what are you doing with power and drainage (sorry if i missed it in the thread)
i found in my build i did a good job but should have spent more time on these two items as now i have to redo my apex and wiring since wire lengths, probe wire lengths, power not running with data, its driving me crazy but i might be a bit OCD...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back