OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am Scottish too dang it! Maiden name? Graham. I like Music way better though. And I think it is Welsh.

Graham? It’s Technically English, used to describe the people that lived around Grantham. But it’s been used in Scotland for centuries too. 12th century I think.

Funny you mention Wales. I was born in Abergavenny, my dads entire family is from one valley near Caernarfon . We moved to Scotland when I was three after being in England and Germany for a time. I was an army brat until I was 5. My dad left after seeing some nasty **** in the Falklands. His regiment was one of the first in.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously? That is astounding. But I suppose it (antivaccination) is the kind of concept that is going to draw folks who enjoy polarizing conflicts. People are strange.
Hospitals are a strange mix of goals. Patient care, profit. These two ideals are always in play. I work for a not for profit. Look at the leaderships pay and bonuses and tell me we are not highly profitable. I am fortunate that they value nurses like me. And pay me well to do my job. But man, sometimes I just shake my head. Regarding your recent exit from the " paying occupation" ... politics and social interaction always play a role in that level of the healthcare/research employment. I am sure you got the shaft for reasons unrelated to your performance.
I am not that ambitious to take on such big issues that need advocacy. It is commendable that you are. I am a fierce patient advocate when I am at work, but I walk away from all projects that take commitment outside of work. I am often pressured to join these committees and projects but I am firm when I say no.
When I was in my 20s I was always raging against the machine, any injustice. Now I keep my energy on my family and me.
Unfortunately, you would be amazed and horribly saddened by what some people 'know' is true.
Flat earth is another one that comes to mind.
Some of my coworkers are generally smart, hard working, decent people - with some very unusual ideas.
It's difficult to contrast their good work ethic and smart innovations at work with some of the other ideas they take for granted are true. :-/

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously? That is astounding. But I suppose it (antivaccination) is the kind of concept that is going to draw folks who enjoy polarizing conflicts. People are strange.
Hospitals are a strange mix of goals. Patient care, profit. These two ideals are always in play. I work for a not for profit. Look at the leaderships pay and bonuses and tell me we are not highly profitable. I am fortunate that they value nurses like me. And pay me well to do my job. But man, sometimes I just shake my head. Regarding your recent exit from the " paying occupation" ... politics and social interaction always play a role in that level of the healthcare/research employment. I am sure you got the shaft for reasons unrelated to your performance.
I am not that ambitious to take on such big issues that need advocacy. It is commendable that you are. I am a fierce patient advocate when I am at work, but I walk away from all projects that take commitment outside of work. I am often pressured to join these committees and projects but I am firm when I say no.
When I was in my 20s I was always raging against the machine, any injustice. Now I keep my energy on my family and me.

Yeah- and this was Vanderbilt.., the self styled ‘Harvard of the south’

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, you would be amazed and horribly saddened by what some people 'know' is true.
Flat earth is another one that comes to mind.
Some of my coworkers are generally smart, hard working, decent people - with some very unusual ideas.
It's difficult to contrast their good work ethic and smart innovations at work with some of the other ideas they take for granted are true. :-/
I am so blessed with smart coworkers. About a month ago, right when I returned to work I was having an irregular heart beat, and got a little freaked. My coworkers made me lay down and get on a monitor. I had a wee bit of anxiety kinda like a flash back to my surgery. But I realized about 6 folks were in the room taking care of me because they love me. Only 1 person needed to be there. And my next thought was even if I went into a fatal arrhythmia each one of those folks could bring me back. I am blessed to work with amazing people. No flat earthers or other morons. :)
Well, except me. I drank two cups of coffee that morning. Duh.
I was just so tired...stoopid brain surgery.

U

User1

View Badges
#saf1- nice to meet you. I’ve seen you around on a bunch of threads and always enjoyed your comments. Thanks for the Xenia info- your ideas regarding damage, stress response etc are very close to how I think this ‘weed’ of a coral adapts and survives. Interesting reading.

Thank you, very kind of you. I enjoy reading new threads and do not recall how I landed here. It could be via @Victoria M thread that moved me here - so hope you don't mind me.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so true. I had a mentor when I began studying finance and markets (a side hobby). He was a brilliant accountant and I really valued his knowledge. Then one day out of nowhere he went off on how women in the workforce was basically blasphemy and it broke my heart. Guy was married with like 10 kids all home schooled.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really should have been a clue.

Home-schooling Quiverfulls are the worst for this sort of thing.
Right. I was younger. I have learned to read these signs better.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neil, you talk funny. :p Sometimes I am afraid to google. :eek:

What do you mean? It’s all SFW. Google away

If it’s the Quiverfulls, I’m surprised you haven’t encountered them in your nursing. They seem to be especially susceptible to communicable diseases, given their vaccine preferences and the need to stack 3 to a bedroom in close proximity.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean? It’s all SFW. Google away

If it’s the Quiverfulls, I’m surprised you haven’t encountered them in your nursing. They seem to be especially susceptible to communicable diseases, given their vaccine preferences and the need to stack 3 to a bedroom in close proximity.
Nope. Sounds lovely, though.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob on the dosing front- no sps yet, just softies in QT. Been 15 years since I last had a tank, and dosing wasn’t standard practice in UK back then.

So- Q- how would one normally boost pH to get it to 8.3?
Is that that much of a difference? I am not sure I would chase that... But what is your dkH? Also running a fresh air line from skimmer to outside the home gives a pH boost. Folks have demonstrated it with their controllers with pH monitors. Makes sense too. CO2 in the home drives the pH down especially if the water is not well buffered. When I got my Ca and alk in the high range, and used kalk in my ATO at 2 tsp per gallon the pH was solid at 8.3 for many many years. Actually I think I had to drop it to 1 tsp per gallon because the ca was over 550. Either way the pH was always solid. No matter what salt I used.

U

User1

View Badges
I'm not one to chase numbers because I'll just get tripped up at some point. However, if you are dosing any of Randy's DIY recipes then you can use his updated ones that has a higher pH to probably do what you want. I'm not sure if you are dosing though so may not be applicable. I'd probably test first, then test using a reference kit, then test again the tank before anything.

For what it is worth interesting enough BRS released a video earlier today about pH. Not gospel by any means but interesting.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, good info

I’m not dosing yet, but I’ll be grabbing some acros in a couple months. Want to get 1/2 done with a batch of softies then grab some forest fire digitata and some monticaps . Was planning on researching the best methods over the next month or so, and say that comment come up and figured I’d ask.

So kalk in the ATO, fresh air line to skimmer/CO2 scrubber, Randy’s updates two part. Sounds good!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could up in a week but then throw 1 tsp kalk/gallon in the ATO and monitor where it goes. I am sure it would boost your pH. It is an easy trial.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could up in a week but then throw 1 tsp kalk/gallon in the ATO and monitor where it goes. I am sure it would boost your pH. It is an easy trial.

Sorry Vic- typo?

Of course, I put my ATO container a bit more ‘out of sight’, totally not amenable to mixing kalk, but I’ll figure it out.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s in the booooooxxxxxx?!?!??!??!?

592c88129204eee859f78961d0ee3ce6.jpg

bfa196e08c8c8744bc2cdf40352d1d55.jpg