OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started gfo today. Apparently the brs reactors have a 2.25 cup capacity. There’s like 3 inches of space at the top but it’s tumbling nicely

Did I show you guys the reactor manifold? I hooked them up to a 400gph inexpensive amazon pump with separate John guest valves. I put a tee in, reactors to the right, and transfer line to left. If I want an extra 10% on my water change, I pump the skimmer section up to the settling tank and let it drain to the waste as part of a normal WC

dcf5a4a9679e7c5a90a7bdd7d804d0cd.jpg
70ad38882e8a4d6887be44b036d4755b.jpg
9e483a6e021a02a417358a749399cfee.jpg
c4413a6866101584cdda3e3d005ea839.jpg
ed29dc11880d000e893502a25065a3d0.jpg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running BRS High Capacity GFO to bring down silicates to combat the Chrysophytes.

Measurements taken with the Hanna Phosphorus ULR

Pre gfo (May 16th reading): 0.4ppm

GFO +12 hours: 0.06 ppm
GFO +24 hours: 0.01ppm

So the idea of GFO only pulling out silicates in the first 18-24 hours appears to be incorrect.

Going to pull the GFO reactor, then retest in 24 hours to see where we are.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you get your levels where you want them soon, unlucky with the phos.

Yeah- frustrated. I did an exact 24 hours, at suggested amounts/gallon. I wasn’t expecting it to have come down much, if any, in that time. I didn’t want to pull the reactor since I was trying to clear silicates.

Now I’m thinking I probably still have a bunch of silicate in the tank since the gfo bound po4 so fast.

It’s a little bit trial and error- not many people have dealt with this algae.

I can either feed heavy for a couple days, or, more likely, dose po4. Will need to look up the info on that though

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- frustrated. I did an exact 24 hours, at suggested amounts/gallon. I wasn’t expecting it to have come down much, if any, in that time. I didn’t want to pull the reactor since I was trying to clear silicates.

Now I’m thinking I probably still have a bunch of silicate in the tank since the gfo bound po4 so fast.

It’s a little bit trial and error- not many people have dealt with this algae.

I can either feed heavy for a couple days, or, more likely, dose po4. Will need to look up the info on that though

I would feed more but that's just me.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a big project on the tank today- overflow replacement!!

I was never happy with the synergy shadow overflow for several reasons, which I won’t get into her because I don’t want to attract the trolls and get banned.

Anyway- I’ve been considering a replacement since Christmas, and a month or so ago finally pulled the trigger on a custom Exotic Marine Systems overflow courtesy of @TaylorPilot. We traded a few emails detailing the weird combination of shortened outer box with offset holes (due to my in wall recessed tank) that I needed, and I pulled the trigger. Less than a week later, it arrived and it is BEAUTIFUL. Amazing craftsmanship, very heavy duty and today I found out it fits perfectly!!

So- I drained the tank down to below the shadow - and got distracted, resulting in this close call

fe09f5df4185dc5eae5dc7cd27731935.jpg

Removed the shadow and mock fit the EMS. Cut the necessary plumbing, patched the drywall hole recess that was starting to mold due to salt creep from the flimsy shadow lid, and completed the install.

3 hours, start to finish, including an hour for drywall mud to dry before I sealed it.

Exchanged the outer box standpipes and BA plumbing - NOTE- the exact same plumbing was put into the EMS, no cutting or adding other pieces. Refilled the tank, fired up the return pump and took 7 minutes to tube the new box in. I’m now running the pump at 79% -was 83%- and using the old plumbing, the BOX IS TOTALLY SILENT.

The tank is so quiet in fact, I can hear my dog breathing through the other room and one of my AC ducts is vibrating a little.

Added benefit is noise and bubble reduction in the sump since it isn’t surging like it used to.

37317046ed1e232e768d39d0898939e5.jpg
f2cada6f017ab43f0130c03abd5a48e7.jpg

Extremely happy with how this turned out.

Thanks to @TaylorPilot for the overflow work, and @Dubs83 for pointing me towards EMS!!

Cheers

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant, mate. Glad you moved on this. I’ll tel you what, because of all the issues you don’t want to talk about but I know you had, when I switched to EMS, I couldn’t sleep for a few days because it was so silent. Lol. I was panicking that there’s something wrong.

Nice work man

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant, mate. Glad you moved on this. I’ll tel you what, because of all the issues you don’t want to talk about but I know you had, when I switched to EMS, I couldn’t sleep for a few days because it was so silent. Lol. I was panicking that there’s something wrong.

Nice work man

Lol, yeah.

I think my dog has emphysema. I can hear the dude loud breathing from the next room

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I am so jealous. My overflow has become so noisy with this rebuild it weird. But it's a built-in and I'm stuck with it for now. I need to figure out how to do that silencing thing you did along time ago. I'm going to add a picture of what I'm doing now.
image.jpg

Drinking a martini and chilling in the hammock.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a big project on the tank today- overflow replacement!!

I was never happy with the synergy shadow overflow for several reasons, which I won’t get into her because I don’t want to attract the trolls and get banned.

Anyway- I’ve been considering a replacement since Christmas, and a month or so ago finally pulled the trigger on a custom Exotic Marine Systems overflow courtesy of @TaylorPilot. We traded a few emails detailing the weird combination of shortened outer box with offset holes (due to my in wall recessed tank) that I needed, and I pulled the trigger. Less than a week later, it arrived and it is BEAUTIFUL. Amazing craftsmanship, very heavy duty and today I found out it fits perfectly!!

So- I drained the tank down to below the shadow - and got distracted, resulting in this close call

fe09f5df4185dc5eae5dc7cd27731935.jpg

Removed the shadow and mock fit the EMS. Cut the necessary plumbing, patched the drywall hole recess that was starting to mold due to salt creep from the flimsy shadow lid, and completed the install.

3 hours, start to finish, including an hour for drywall mud to dry before I sealed it.

Exchanged the outer box standpipes and BA plumbing - NOTE- the exact same plumbing was put into the EMS, no cutting or adding other pieces. Refilled the tank, fired up the return pump and took 7 minutes to tube the new box in. I’m now running the pump at 79% -was 83%- and using the old plumbing, the BOX IS TOTALLY SILENT.

The tank is so quiet in fact, I can hear my dog breathing through the other room and one of my AC ducts is vibrating a little.

Added benefit is noise and bubble reduction in the sump since it isn’t surging like it used to.

37317046ed1e232e768d39d0898939e5.jpg
f2cada6f017ab43f0130c03abd5a48e7.jpg

Extremely happy with how this turned out.

Thanks to @TaylorPilot for the overflow work, and @Dubs83 for pointing me towards EMS!!

Cheers

I am so glad you are liking it!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knocked out a handful of these acrylic float sensor holders. $9 in materials for 8 holders.

This is an adhesion test for the suction cups- May have to size them up 1, or use 2 on each. We’ll see

c56ac163835c6a5b853aced078c0dc97.jpg
c5dcb898443af5326d40113102d93a42.jpg

I’m setting up an ATO container refill that I can activate manually via apex. The floats are for the bob to send alerts for when the ATO reservoir is low, then I turn on the outlet to activate the NC solenoid in-line in the refill tubing from my RODI container (currently has a manual John guest 1/4” valve I turn to refill). I also have the float valve in the container, and I’ll set the max time the outlet can be on, if I forget. Of course, I can have the outlet activate in the BOB command, and may very well do that, but for now I’ll keep it manual.

Was planning to use the apex ready solenoid, but it was $45 with power supply. I pieced this one together for $15. I have John guest 1/4” fittings around here somewhere.

98ac9a0e5fec302f6eb2d4b115e0c5cc.jpg

This is all due to a surprise vacation to destin the wife has planned for aug 3- 18th. 15 days.

My ATO container is 20g, and my evaporation rate right now is 4g/day. I didn’t want to have to ask someone to flip the refill valve and remember to come back in 4 hours to shut it off. This way they can just concentrate on feeding. If they leave it open, I’ll essentially have a 75g ATO container. This way, I get the low alert, hit the button, get high alert, shut off/outlet times out . I’ll have 18 days worth of rodi in the 2 containers as long as my evap rate stays constant.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adhesion test on the small suction cups was a fail, but the bigger ones worked. Just have to enlarge holes without breaking the holder.

Back