OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to fish Toby the goby out of the return chamber again. Looking really thin. I’m wondering if his shrimp buddy passed on and he hasn’t been eating. If I see him in the sump again, I’ll pop him in a 10g in the basement to fatten up and recover. Move him back once he’s increased in size a bit

Dialed back the return pump to 76% to drop the water level in the DT. It’s now half way up the weir slots. Tuning the BA to compensate was as simple as turning the valve 1/8th turn closed. Took 3 minutes to stabilize.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish! “Oh, thank gawd he found me” :)
Cery cool float holders. I suggest you make them long/tall enough to go over the aquarium edge. For greater security. Remember my nori holders?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/victoria-musics-custom-180-rebuild.327504/page-74#post-5735027

Yep, I do. The issue is that this is for my ATO storage container, and I have a tight lid to stop evap and particles getting in. If I cut a recess to allow them to hang over the trim, I’m worried about dust getting in there.

If I widen the hole by 2mm I can get the next biggest suction cup in there. May use two for redundancy. I’ll try your way too, I have enough materials and now I mentioned the dust- my sump is open top anyway, so that makes dust protection in the ATO container a moo point anyway.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick project- couldn’t finish as I can’t find my stash of solder in this clutterbomb I call a basement.

10782e4fdc1357bf29fcc68ce79f8415.jpg

12v 1/4” solenoid valve “normally closed”
12v 2 amp power supply
John guest fittings
Pigtail connector from my drone/astrophotography/led build box

Up until 9 minutes ago, my process for filling up my ATO reservoir, located under my sump, was to open up this valve at the bottom of my 55g RODI container. It will fill until it hits the float valve, takes about 3 hours, then I flip the valve closed when I remember. Since my consumption is 4 gallons a day, I was doing this dvery4 days to leave a little reserve at the bottom, to save having to reprint my ATO pump.

ddb6b82f6c7cbb74e3dab77ccff11dd2.jpg

Since I’m going on vacation in August, I needed a way of refilling the ATO via apex, so I looked into the apex ready solenoid valve, but I balked at the $50 needed for that and the power supply.

So instead, I hit up amazon and got these instead. I simply put the solenoid on a parallel line prior to the manual valve, and powered the solenoid via an apex outlet
13e9dadf307873358736bd99dac85a0b.jpg
f55653d11e5f55e2305d86be0ee27ba8.jpg

Now, I can energize the solenoid via the apex, opening up the line and filling the ATO container.

Next step- solder up and heat shrink the connections. Then make low/high level floats and BOB integration for alerts and automation.

Just have to go 3D print my BOB...

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bizzarre. I have heard of snails and some really really small fish getting through the weir. He looks too large to get through the weir, that clown must have jumped in the top. Luckily he didn't get out of the tank. How high is the water level inside the box in relation to the front weir?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bizzarre. I have heard of snails and some really really small fish getting through the weir. He looks too large to get through the weir, that clown must have jumped in the top. Luckily he didn't get out of the tank. How high is the water level inside the box in relation to the front weir?

He got sucked sideways through the weir- he did it again as I was stepping down the ladder from the first rescue.

My fault- I had the water level going about the weir holes, because the pump was set to 83%. I’ve since dropped that down to 74%, and the water level is now 1/3rd up the weir gap.

Water level in the rear box is a half inch above bulkheads, 1” below DT water level. Inner box water level is about half inch below weir holes.

Not only has this box solved all my noise issues, I’m also able to run my gyres in any cycle I want, and I got a 9% reduction in pump power level. My only regret is waiting so long to do it.

Thank you so much!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He got sucked sideways through the weir- he did it again as I was stepping down the ladder from the first rescue.

My fault- I had the water level going about the weir holes, because the pump was set to 83%. I’ve since dropped that down to 74%, and the water level is now 1/3rd up the weir gap.

Water level in the rear box is a half inch above bulkheads, 1” below DT water level. Inner box water level is about half inch below weir holes.

Not only has this box solved all my noise issues, I’m also able to run my gyres in any cycle I want, and I got a 9% reduction in pump power level. My only regret is waiting so long to do it.

Thank you so much!
hey Neil what gyres do you have? I am considering using some of the money from my ATV to buy a nice powerhead.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Neil what gyres do you have? I am considering using some of the money from my ATV to buy a nice powerhead.

I have two xf250s from maxspect. I bought the second head from some dude because they got phased out and I missed the clearance sales. The new xf350s don’t have back compatibility so now I’m with two xf250s and buying up spare bushings etc whenever I see them.

They do throw a ton of water though, and look kinda cool.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two xf250s from maxspect. I bought the second head from some dude because they got phased out and I missed the clearance sales. The new xf350s don’t have back compatibility so now I’m with two xf250s and buying up spare bushings etc whenever I see them.

Ok, great. Thank you.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One on each side
b4b321f4af5da3ce90724fdc55f3babf.jpg
be1b1e1d4dca97a5484c7efd83e607aa.jpg

The newer 350s have a redesign that apparently makes them quieter and easier to maintain. I have had zero issues with either aspect with the 240s though.

The advanced controller is very neat- lots of different flow possibilities.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One on each side
b4b321f4af5da3ce90724fdc55f3babf.jpg
be1b1e1d4dca97a5484c7efd83e607aa.jpg

The newer 350s have a redesign that apparently makes them quieter and easier to maintain. I have had zero issues with either aspect with the 240s though.

The advanced controller is very neat- lots of different flow possibilities.
Thank you very much. Still trying to figure out what is best dynamite or new power heads.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back