OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a weird salinity issue in my tank- over the course of 2-3 weeks, my salinity drops from 1.025 to 1.022 or so. I’ve checked the ATO and it’s not overcompensating, the sensors are also very close so demand is frequent but small and the level in the return chamber is spot on consistent

I skim pretty dry.

No leaks.

Where else can salt go, if it’s not a dilution thing?

CL_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a weird salinity issue in my tank- over the course of 2-3 weeks, my salinity drops from 1.025 to 1.022 or so. I’ve checked the ATO and it’s not overcompensating, the sensors are also very close so demand is frequent but small and the level in the return chamber is spot on consistent

I skim pretty dry.

No leaks.

Where else can salt go, if it’s not a dilution thing?

Is your refractometer calibrated? If you use a digital one, do you wait a moment for the temperature to equalize with the glass so the refractometer knows the actual temp of the water it’s testing?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your refractometer calibrated? If you use a digital one, do you wait a moment for the temperature to equalize with the glass so the refractometer knows the actual temp of the water it’s testing?

No problem on that front. I use a manual and I check calibration once a week, and every time before the last 7-8 readings since I noticed this issue.

Really racking my brain trying to figure out how I’m getting reduced salinity.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak from plumbing is possible.

I’ve scoured every inch of plumbing and put paper towels over every joint to visualize any damp spots, but nothing.

Besides- any water lost to leakage gets replaced by ATO. It’s a 300 gallon system. To drop that much salinity I’d have to be losing almost 70 gallons a week.

Definitely scratching my head on this one

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the salt creep? Eh, it is a big tank, I dont think that would be it.

Since switching out the overflow, practically zero. Few grams at most. The change seen would need about 16lbs of salt to come out.

I can easily see that happening with the “supersilent synergy reef shadow overflow” but not with the EMS replacement, since it has a lid that actually works

Last edited:

CL_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your ATO output ever submerged in the tank water? If so, the salt could be diffusing into your ATO.

Do you have any strong fans blowing on the tank? I suppose it’s possible that there’s some spray from the tank water (ie bubbles popping) that’s getting blown away.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your ATO output ever submerged in the tank water? If so, the salt could be diffusing into your ATO.

Do you have any strong fans blowing on the tank? I suppose it’s possible that there’s some spray from the tank water (ie bubbles popping) that’s getting blown away.

No on both. I have a peristaltic pump for my ATO and the outlet is 12” above the water surface. It’s never submerged even when my return is off.

7d4e3fd5112f726b3642d99839926833.jpg
ec0125b676092fb79618d74d0c638ce6.jpg

Plus, if salt was diffusing into the ATO line, it’ll just end up back in the tank the next time the ATO turns on. Besides, it would need to diffuse 16lbs of salt that’s never replaced to get 300g of 1.025 down to 1.022. I’m not a believer in the theory that this mechanism is relevant to >gram quantities of salt. Even in nano tanks.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s try this again. I like the colour of the red tiger pistol more, but my lfs gave me a big discount on their last brown tiger after I described the doa from the other day. He thinks maybe rough handling made it eject it’s small claw then it got stressed since it couldn’t escape.

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pinchy McPinchyface made it through the night. Once he molts, into the DT with Anna Beth, never to be seen again.

Also- my coral qt has a couple white bugs and a red bristleworm in it. So much for dipping.

So I’m going to redip on the 23rd and move them to the clean 20l to hang out while I go on vacation on the 3rd. Redip again on the 30 day mark and put them in the DT.

They still aren’t doing great. My big gsp hasn’t opened up all week, since I prodded it to try to make the bristleworm move. I’m hoping a dip, then some nice clean conditions for a month will make him happy again

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have those, but I’m making custom extension cables to hardwire my equipment into conduit in my fishroom. I’d hoped to use the right angled plugs to reduce the depth of the final cabinet fascia (I wanted the eb8s hidden instead of on show like similar builds) but I can’t get more than 2 plugged in before I get crowding issues.

Basically doing a version of this-

But cooler because I’m hiding the outlets and adding flashing lights and sirens and that kinda ****

Hi @Dubs83 lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back