Fishroom Reality Check

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Just finished reading up here, awesome thread and great motivation! I hope the clown gets better! Also the fungia that didn't make it, please tell me you kept it, I've heard they spawn little ones months after looking like they've gone. Im at work, but if you me I'll try to find the article.

Any way cheers, and looking forward to updates.

Commiting a sin here most likely so sorry in advance, but heres one occurence of a plate budding new life. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767950

Heres one from @revhtree https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/baby-red-fungia-plate-corals-new-update-july-1st.32986/

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Just finished reading up here, awesome thread and great motivation! I hope the clown gets better! Also the fungia that didn't make it, please tell me you kept it, I've heard they spawn little ones months after looking like they've gone. Im at work, but if you me I'll try to find the article.

Any way cheers, and looking forward to updates.

Commiting a sin here most likely so sorry in advance, but heres one occurence of a plate budding new life. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767950

Heres one from @revhtree https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/baby-red-fungia-plate-corals-new-update-july-1st.32986/
Welcome to the thread and thanks for the links.

Yes! I still have the first fungia. It still puts out little feeder tentacles at night, so as long as it’s going that and not visibly decaying, then I’ll keep it. It’s still an amazing animal. I’m planning to move the first group of corals to the display just as soon as I’ve made some headway against the Chrysophytes algae. Trying a new approach this week I think

Thanks again!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What r you trying?
HOnestly, not 100% set, but I’m getting so sick of it. Tanks been stalled out for 4 months because of this. And I’m hesitating putting corals that graduated QT on 20th August because I don’t want to nuke them if I need to do something drastic

Anyway- it’s hard to get a decent protocol together, mainly because it’s such a rare problem, and the treatment options that are detailed seem kinda anecdotal.

I’ve done 2rounds of 24hr gfo, scrub and filter, then boosting nutrients. I was able to knock out about 15% of the coverage, which remain as bare rock currently. Chrysophytes came back within a month both times.

Options (gleaned from all the Chrysophytes threads):

1) h2O2 treatment for 10-14 days with siphoning etc when loose algae appears, coupled with increased nitrate abs phosphate

2) fluconazole treatment which may result in a crashing tank. Also needs nutrient boost

The nutrient boost is aimed at promoting growth of either Cyanobacteria, or GHA, both of which are present in a normal cycle and preferable over Chrysophytes.

Regardless- I’ve tried the scrub and filter with adding nutrients, and it hasn’t worked. Time to try a chemical method, and h2o2 seems best at this point as it avoids possible nuking of the tank. Fluconazole is an antimycotic, after all, and has side effects.

Sorry fir the ramble. It’s a hard battle to parse, plus I’m a bit distracted/ totally freaked out by the news from California.

Cheers!

I’ll update more once I decide on a course of action. Hopefully with good news, and not to detail a dead tank

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you read up on oxydators? Dosing 9 or 12% h2o2 may help you.
Yeah- that’s plan 1, above.

I’ve been trawling the giant peroxide thread and found s few people who tried it against confirmed Chrysophytes. If I remember correctly -it’s a big thread so I may have missed some- success rate is around 60-70%

But I have a lysmata shrimp and anLTA- both known peroxide sensitive. They’ll need caught and isolated before I dose.

Thanks!

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- that’s plan 1, above.

I’ve been trawling the giant peroxide thread and found s few people who tried it against confirmed Chrysophytes. If I remember correctly -it’s a big thread so I may have missed some- success rate is around 60-70%

But I have a lysmata shrimp and anLTA- both known peroxide sensitive. They’ll need caught and isolated before I dose.

Thanks!

Look into scöhting oxydator. It’s the safest way to dose h2o2 If you are concerned for your animals. Currently using one and no complaints so far and I’m only using 9%
H2o2. I know I don’t have your problem but it might be worth a shot.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into scöhting oxydator. It’s the safest way to dose h2o2 If you are concerned for your animals. Currently using one and no complaints so far and I’m only using 9%
H2o2. I know I don’t have your problem but it might be worth a shot.

I’ve used them in lab raising Danio fry for research when we couldn’t use air stones. Although we made ours, since all they do is allow the h2o2 to breakdown and ‘leak’ O2 into the water .

You dose 9% h2o2? What’s your final volume and final concentration? Any idea? What are you dosing peroxide for?

Frankly- im not convinced H2O2 will do anything, I don’t see what benefit raising O2 levels will have, and what mechanism is proposed to help clear the Chrysophytes. But I’m trying it because, well, it’s 2 more weeks, it’s inexpensive, and other than the shrimp and LTA, should be well tolerated

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just posted a design request for Apex Fusion over in the neptune forums, wondering if people thought this would be a good idea. Drop a comment there if you think it could be useful from an organisational standpoint.

fusion containers.jpg

cheers

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did some testing-

Nitrate: 0, ZERO, nada, zilch. Not good :(

Phosphate: 8 ppb/ 0.02ppm on Hanna ulr. Since the accuracy is 5ppb this might be as low as 3 ppb which is 0.01ppm

Also not good :(

No wonder my Chrysophytes aren’t going away- my nutrients are way too low.

So I dosed 6.75 grams of potassium nitrate (spectracide) and I’m about to look into dosing phosphate. Targeting 5ppm on my (currently) 220 system volume.

What do you all use for phosphate dosing? I might just go get some flourish from petco or something for now

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uugghh

BE8BBB8F-3879-4F74-9397-BD83FEDC74AF.jpeg

That sucks. That’s 3 in 6 months. I might dose some iodine or something for the last one, and the shrimp

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered phosphate off amazon. The lab nerd in you will probably love mixing and dosing. I think I would prefer the brightwell products though
yeah, I’ve got sea chem phos coming tomorrow from amazon. 10 doses worth. Once that’s done, I’m ordering powdered sodium phosphate powder and mixing my my own

I’m done with low nutrients. Imma gonna dose until I see green hair algae then I’m going too dial it back a bit. I like emerald green. Much nicer to look at than brown snot algae

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to figure out why I don’t get notified of these updates.

Sorry about your clown man. How’s she doing? Keep up the good fight bud!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to figure out why I don’t get notified of these updates.

Sorry about your clown man. How’s she doing? Keep up the good fight bud!
That’s weird man. Maybe I’ll tag you for a bit

She’s getting better. Still in ICU, doing reef rally and no sign of infections. Still pretty messed up but the eye hematoma is receding. It’s posdible she might keep the eye- looks to be ok underneath. Close watch the next few days to check appetite and swimming attitude - she was up in the water column today and darted fir food when added- and plan to move back to DT Wednesday if it looks good

Cheers!

Back