OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had someone mention Vibrant to get rid of the Chrysophytes.

Anyone have any experience with Vibtant? Seems like it could crash a tank if not dosed correctly

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12

Hey man- icecap seen reference to you as being ‘the guy’ to ask regarding Vibrant bacterial blend. So, useful against Chrysophytes, in your opinion?

I contacted a couple people from the vibrant thread about their Chrysophytes battle and, despite being super enthusiastic about vibrant when they dosed it, they aren’t sure it really helped all that much.

I’m kinda planning to dose peroxide and maybe even Fluconazole if that doesn’t work, but a third option would be nice to have in my back pocket. And bring a bacterial blend, I’d prefer it over an antifungal

Thoughts?

Cheers

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just went to basement to check on a 3 d print... and my coral QT light is still on.

Assarrrgghhhh. Seems like it lost programming during a power blip on Thursday... so everyone has been in 65% blues constantly for 3 days.

Explains why Duncan is peeved and the hammers are curled up. I thought it was due to a bacterial bloom I’ve been fighting

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12

Hey man- icecap seen reference to you as being ‘the guy’ to ask regarding Vibrant bacterial blend. So, useful against Chrysophytes, in your opinion?

I contacted a couple people from the vibrant thread about their Chrysophytes battle and, despite being super enthusiastic about vibrant when they dosed it, they aren’t sure it really helped all that much.

I’m kinda planning to dose peroxide and maybe even Fluconazole if that doesn’t work, but a third option would be nice to have in my back pocket. And bring a bacterial blend, I’d prefer it over an antifungal

Thoughts?

Cheers
I'm not sure if it would help against Chrysophytes. I will say that the danger of using Vibrant is very overstated. Most issues are caused by losing control of nutrients as algae dies off, not because of the Vibrant itself. I know people that have dosed 10x the recommended amount and never had to do so much as a water change.

I would give Vibrant a better chance of working than Fluconazole but peroxide would be the first thing I tried. Well.... I might try dosing live phytoplankton first and see if that helps.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just went to basement to check on a 3 d print... and my coral QT light is still on.

Assarrrgghhhh. Seems like it lost programming during a power blip on Thursday... so everyone has been in 65% blues constantly for 3 days.

Explains why Duncan is peeved and the hammers are curled up. I thought it was due to a bacterial bloom I’ve been fighting
Glad you caught it.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you caught it.
Yeah

Seems stupid to have a ‘fail on’ mode After a power failure. At least then I would have caught it since it would have been off when I’m down there

I only caught it because i went to check my 12” long Trex Skull and it was still on

Print failed, in the end. Bed adhesion issue

50E10CF7-D60A-48BC-8567-5B93FC8BF115.jpeg
222ACF0D-304A-4F65-BACE-66F32A0E5A06.jpeg

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about your chrysophyte problem- why don’t you try a black out for 3-4 days while you’re getting nutrients up? I’ve had a bad Cyano out break on my previous tank and attacked it by increasing flow / nutrients and covering the aquarium with several layers of thick black construction garbage bags. This helped keep the ambient light out. I’m thinking a black out could only work in your favor

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is gonna be so cool!
Lol. Planning to muddy them up a Bit and put them in the girls sandpit

Also- doing heads, abs putting them up in the man cave like hunting trophies, lol. Dinosaurs, aliens, predator, terminator... plus a couple storm trooper red shirts and a mandalorian or two...

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Planning to muddy them up a Bitcoin and put them in the girls sandpit

Also- doing heads, abs putting them up in the man cave like hunting trophies, lol. Dinosaurs, aliens, predator, terminator... plus a couple storm trooper red shirts and a mandalorian or two...
I love it!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about your chrysophyte problem- why don’t you try a black out for 3-4 days while you’re getting nutrients up? I’ve had a bad Cyano out break on my previous tank and attacked it by increasing flow / nutrients and covering the aquarium with several layers of thick black construction garbage bags. This helped keep the ambient light out. I’m thinking a black out could only work in your favor
Yep- that’s next on the list. Once my phosphate hits 0.2 for 3-4 days, black out it is. Give never a chance to move Nemma back to QT. She’s not doing so great- bleached, jammed in a crevice. Thinking get her in her own 10g, get her comfortable and try to get her colour back

I’m just worried about the fish. They *really* don’t mind 3 days totally dark?

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep- that’s next on the list. Once my phosphate hits 0.2 for 3-4 days, black out it is. Give never a chance to move Nemma back to QT. She’s not doing so great- bleached, jammed in a crevice. Thinking get her in her own 10g, get her comfortable and try to get her colour back

I’m just worried about the fish. They *really* don’t mind 3 days totally dark?

I obviously couldn’t see in during the black out but after 3 days, mine didn’t seem phased by it. I’d say it was probably the most effective way to knock the Cyano out and I don’t see why it wouldn’t help with Chrysophytes. To see results in 3-4 days is pretty quick considering how much patience is required in this hobby. The trick is to keep them from coming back but it sounds like you’re working your way through that.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish never seem to bat an eye. I just turn the lights off. I dont cover the view panel.

I covered the viewing panels because I have a ton of light coming in from the window next to the tank. It looks stupid for a few days but totally worked!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m bummed out

Craig, my male onyx percula took a ride down the return line into the pump last week, after a failed apex Fallback On condition shut down my flow. He was very badly messed up so I grabbed him and put him into a hospital QT (keep SW and biospira handy folks). I added ruby reef rally to ward off infection a d let him recuperate.

5CFC13B2-A806-42FE-A231-DF8191556503.jpeg
61CCD53C-78BB-4A19-96B7-D717021FE82B.jpeg
53D3E2BC-D7FC-41D5-BFEA-FAE241B07F47.jpeg
4664574F-47EC-46DF-9BBF-4B5CF3CBE7A7.jpeg
A942D9A0-9555-45FA-9097-334FF1B83D5C.jpeg

Basically- he lost the eye, but there’s been no sign of infection. Been eating ok, will track food as it falls into tank but wait until it’s on the bottom to feed. I have seen him in the water column on occasion, but the past 24 hours he’s been kinda slumped on the bottom.

Water oxygenation is good with a ton of micro bubbles from an air stone and flow from an over-sized hob

Here’s a video from today-

Anyone have any ideas?

Was planning to transfer back to DT on Thursday, but now I’m not too sure

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m bummed out

Craig, my male onyx percula took a ride down the return line into the pump last week, after a failed apex Fallback On condition shut down my flow. He was very badly messed up so I grabbed him and put him into a hospital QT (keep SW and biospira handy folks). I added ruby reef rally to ward off infection a d let him recuperate.

5CFC13B2-A806-42FE-A231-DF8191556503.jpeg
61CCD53C-78BB-4A19-96B7-D717021FE82B.jpeg
53D3E2BC-D7FC-41D5-BFEA-FAE241B07F47.jpeg
4664574F-47EC-46DF-9BBF-4B5CF3CBE7A7.jpeg
A942D9A0-9555-45FA-9097-334FF1B83D5C.jpeg

Basically- he lost the eye, but there’s been no sign of infection. Been eating ok, will track food as it falls into tank but wait until it’s on the bottom to feed. I have seen him in the water column on occasion, but the past 24 hours he’s been kinda slumped on the bottom.

Water oxygenation is good with a ton of micro bubbles from an air stone and flow from an over-sized hob

Here’s a video from today-

Anyone have any ideas?

Was planning to transfer back to DT on Thursday, but now I’m not too sure

He is definitely on the struggle bus for sure :(

I would just give it more time but he may have just had an internal injury from his ride. Not much you can do other than what you are already doing in this situation.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is definitely on the struggle bus for sure :(

I would just give it more time but he may have just had an internal injury from his ride. Not much you can do other than what you are already doing in this situation.
Thanks kyle

I kinda figured it was going that way when he didn't correct his swimming attitude

At this point the discussion becomes more about potential outcome vs quality of life. I’d like to act in the most humane way- obviously, euthanasia is a consideration. Do you have any personal health indicator checkpoints where this option needs to be considered?

Thanks

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw. That is so sad. That poor little guy. I would keep watching for now. Keep the light low and cool the water. And add a touch of methylene blue maybe? Check this out ...

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bummed

My fault. I pulled the aquabis cable from my apex to mimic a power failure, expecting the Fallback:ON coding to keep the return pump running. It did, as expected. What they don’t tell you is that when the head unit reconnects, there’s a short reset of all of the relays in the power strips (not at all described anywhere and against all common sense) meaning my return pump turned off, then back on. Craig just happened to be swimming next to the return.

Normally, when I expect the pump to shut off- I cover the outlet, or shoo them away while it drains. This time, I was down in the fishroom. As I came back up to reset the router (ip connection test of apex after reset) I saw him come out the return and get thrown about.

Basically, I was troubleshooting some apex controller nonsense, and bad hardware/ software issues and poor timing resulted in this accident.

I swear- if I have to euthanize Craig, I’m pretty sure I’m done with the apex. Between this and the antiquated IP protocol that can’t automatically reconnect, it’s kinda a pain in the butt

That may sound harsh, but if there was any documentation that Fallback: ON actually meant Fallback: ON, but off for a sec, then back on, this whole thing would have been avoided.

And yes, I could use covers on the return all of the time, but I don’t. Flow restriction and gunk build up concerns.

Back