User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update-

Sunday, I started dosing phosphate in addition to nitrate. To increase nutrients in an attempt to get rid of the Chrysophytes.

I dosed to 0.15ppm, achieved 0.11. checked every 12 hours and got 0.09, 0.06, 0.04. That was last night. Dosed back to 0.15, achieved 0.15 (so added 0.11 to the 0.04 in tank- either the math is off or something is sequestering it) this morning it was 0.11.

About to go check where it’s at now.

But- the Chrysophytes has changed in colour- more rust orange vs golden brown, and it’s starting to slough off. I have a 3x4” patch of rock that is now bare, that was covered yesterday.

Just observations- reserving any sort of judgement for later.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Next week, Katie is in Boston, Phoenix, la, ny and back to boston. 5 days. Monday- I’m scrubbing the rocks, siphoning, then 3 day black out. Then big water change. If my rocks look clean- dosing a literal half gallon of ARC coralline pink and purple. And moving corals from QT to DT!

CL_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some mystery “algae” plaguing my tank for the past ~year. Didn’t know what it was until reading your recent posts. Will be following closely to see how the nitrates work out!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some mystery “algae” plaguing my tank for the past ~year. Didn’t know what it was until reading your recent posts. Will be following closely to see how the nitrates work out!
Dude, if it’s chrysophytes, I feel sorry for you man. It’s a nasty piece of work. I’ll be sure to keep you posted on how my ‘treatment’ protocol works.

It’s funny- I’m practically begging for GHA to show up, and I actually smile when I see patches of cyano start to crowd out the Chrysophytes. How sad is that, lol

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your Clownfish. Do not beat yourself up. The test you performed was something most folks should do. Just unfortunate your test taught you something you did not expect.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your Clownfish. Do not beat yourself up. The test you performed was something most folks should do. Just unfortunate your test taught you something you did not expect.
I appreciate that, but I shouldn’t have had to do the test.

Every other piece of networked equipment in my house reconnects tobinternet after a powercut. From my flatscreen 4K down to my $29 cams I use as baby monitors. But not the apex. It’s absurd.

Fixed now though. I bugged the **** out of them so much some dude went to the booth at MACNA and pestered them for a fix. It seems to work. Why they couldn’t have done that at any point in the past 4 years when other people complained about it is beyond me

CL_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fix as in a software fix, or instructions for how to fix? I’ve also been having network problems with mine lately due to having to reset my WiFi router a couple of times. My apex has been offline for a couple of weeks :(

Seems like I fix it then I touch my router and lose it again!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fix as in a software fix, or instructions for how to fix? I’ve also been having network problems with mine lately due to having to reset my WiFi router a couple of times. My apex has been offline for a couple of weeks :(

Seems like I fix it then I touch my router and lose it again!
Here’s what the rep told the dude at MACNA, which I did, and performed 3 ‘powercut mimic tests’ and it reconnected every time

Go into the network settings and turn dchp OFF
Manually set IP to something high-

For example mine was at ***.**.*.23

It IS NOW AT ***.**.*.250

Save settings

Apparently what this does - the apex now waits for a short period of time before attempting to request connection from the router. This delay gives the router time to start up and start dishing out IP credentials.

The issue was that the apex would request the DCHP IP as soon as it booted, before the router was ready. I’d it failed to get one, it didn’t then retry the request.

Unlike my $29 ipcam, which reconnects flawlessly...

Hope that helps

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what the rep told the dude at MACNA, which I did, and performed 3 ‘powercut mimic tests’ and it reconnected every time

Go into the network settings and turn dchp OFF
Manually set IP to something high-

For example mine was at ***.**.*.23

It IS NOW AT ***.**.*.250

Save settings

Apparently what this does - the apex now waits for a short period of time before attempting to request connection from the router. This delay gives the router time to start up and start dishing out IP credentials.

The issue was that the apex would request the DCHP IP as soon as it booted, before the router was ready. I’d it failed to get one, it didn’t then retry the request.

Unlike my $29 ipcam, which reconnects flawlessly...

Hope that helps

I could be wrong, but what I think is actually happening here is that by turning off DHCP you're essentially telling the APEX not to grab an IP from the router at all, and NOT to send out a DHCP request to the router. You're forcing an IP in the APEX and the APEX will use that IP regardless if it sees the router or not.

Once the router comes back online, it will try to assign IPs to all your devices. By forcing an IP of 192.168.100.250 and making the *.250 really high, you're ensuring the other devices in the home won't grab the same IP. They'll start at a lower number like .1 or .101 (depending what you made your IP range on your router) and will start to increment sequentially from there.

So I could be wrong, but I think that's why this is actually working. The Apex isn't actually waiting, it's just been dumbed down and forced to sit there and do nothing. That allows the router time to come back online and recognize that the APEX already has an IP assigned to it. Then everything reconnects.

I have to agree that it's sort of silly for a $29 webcam to continue to send DHCP requests out, and for the APEX to stop after 1 attempt. If that's indeed what is actually happening.

Thank you for your discovery though - because I am going to replicate the power out like you did and see how my Apex reacts as well.

Cheers, thanks!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but what I think is actually happening here is that by turning off DHCP you're essentially telling the APEX not to grab an IP from the router at all, and NOT to send out a DHCP request to the router. You're forcing an IP in the APEX and the APEX will use that IP regardless if it sees the router or not.

Once the router comes back online, it will try to assign IPs to all your devices. By forcing an IP of 192.168.100.250 and making the *.250 really high, you're ensuring the other devices in the home won't grab the same IP. They'll start at a lower number like .1 or .101 (depending what you made your IP range on your router) and will start to increment sequentially from there.

So I could be wrong, but I think that's why this is actually working. The Apex isn't actually waiting, it's just been dumbed down and forced to sit there and do nothing. That allows the router time to come back online and recognize that the APEX already has an IP assigned to it. Then everything reconnects.

I have to agree that it's sort of silly for a $29 webcam to continue to send DHCP requests out, and for the APEX to stop after 1 attempt. If that's indeed what is actually happening.

Thank you for your discovery though - because I am going to replicate the power out like you did and see how my Apex reacts as well.

Cheers, thanks!
Yeah- I’m a bio geek, not a computer nerd. The explanation I gave was the dumber down version that the rep relayed to the other guy.

Thanks for the info though- appreciate it. I don’t care how it works, lol, as long as it does.

Warning- if you pull the awuabus from their head unit to simulate a power off - but keep your main power going to your eb8/832 in order to not shut down your tank- there is a small power blip in the relays when the apex head unit re-establishes contact with the active eb8/832.

This means that any Fallback:eek:n statements- eg, for a return pump- will very briefly power off anyway. If you have a dc pump, your system will shut down, then power up again about 5 seconds later.

Which sucks- because I was t expecting it, and neither was Craig, my gorgeous onyx percula male that’s now in hospital missing an eye after a ride down the return pipe.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- I’m a bio geek, not a computer nerd. The explanation I gave was the dumber down version that the rep relayed to the other guy.

Thanks for the info though- appreciate it. I don’t care how it works, lol, as long as it does.

Warning- if you pull the awuabus from their head unit to simulate a power off - but keep your main power going to your eb8/832 in order to not shut down your tank- there is a small power blip in the relays when the apex head unit re-establishes contact with the active eb8/832.

This means that any Fallback:eek:n statements- eg, for a return pump- will very briefly power off anyway. If you have a dc pump, your system will shut down, then power up again about 5 seconds later.

Which sucks- because I was t expecting it, and neither was Craig, my gorgeous onyx percula male that’s now in hospital missing an eye after a ride down the return pipe.

Thank you for this. I fully intend to replicate the scenario you created to see what happens in my tank as well, because I am definitely interested in how my system reacts to a power cut. And I also have a DC pump so I'll take note of what you mentioned. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience because I've learned something from it. (thumbs up emoji).

Sorry for your experience with Craig, the clownfish. I've been following your thread quite a while now and it was tough to see that little guy suffering. All life is precious, even down to our little fish! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that he bounces back.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was thinking I would introduce him in front of the pink spotted gobies cave and let him figure it out. Hoping the smaller alpheus will move out and find the Randall’s goby at the other side of the tank.

Did I screw up? I’m thinking now that the small alpheus might try some crazy ‘castle doctrine’ crap and try to defend his cave until the end. I mean, he won’t be that stupid right, against a shrimp 2.5 times his size?

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
L
ol
JUst put someone on ignore. I’m sooo tired of his bs.

@Victoria M - I wasnt getting thread updates. I noticed a bunch of new stuff on your thread- I’ll catch up when I can

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally know who you are talking about. Lol. Last night I was looking up gas exchange in the lungs to refresh my memory, of how ventilators work, how pressure changes and O2 concentrations change blood gases aka ABGs. Oxygen and CO2 diffusion. I had to refresh my memory of the biological process to actually makes sense of this persons perspective and confusion.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally know who you are talking about. Lol. Last night I was looking up gas exchange in the lungs to refresh my memory, of how ventilators work, how pressure changes and O2 concentrations change blood gases aka ABGs. Oxygen and CO2 diffusion. I had to refresh my memory of the biological process to actually makes sense of this persons perspective and confusion.
I particularly liked the part today where he equated his role in waste water management to be on the same level as my genetic engineering of pancreatic islets for allogenic transplant in t1D therapy...

Back