Fishroom Reality Check

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I washed it until it was clear. Barely anything comes off that Rox0.8

I’m sure it’s just lack of nutrients from lower rate feeding (how can they feed properly in them dark) and stress from the blackout. Couple days it’ll clear right up
I am gonna feel terrible if that fish does not clear right up!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update. So many thoughts...you sure you need that coraline stuff? because those rocks look great!
About putting a pump in the sump to feed the refugiums. How does that work for avoiding overflows at the other aquariums? Maybe I am tired and need a crayon drawing?
Do you manual top off your invert QT? What kind of maintenance do you keep up on with it? Mine is shut down now, and I often felt like it was a second aquarium.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update. So many thoughts...you sure you need that coraline stuff? because those rocks look great!
About putting a pump in the sump to feed the refugiums. How does that work for avoiding overflows at the other aquariums? Maybe I am tired and need a crayon drawing?
Do you manual top off your invert QT? What kind of maintenance do you keep up on with it? Mine is shut down now, and I often felt like it was a second aquarium.

The rocks have this weird purplish grey stain on them that isn’t coraline, but I can’t scrub off. Doesn’t even really bleach off either. I personally don’t like the subdued look, and would prefer s more punchy purple or vibrant pink.

About the fuge flow- my main fuge will just overflow back into the return chamber over the weir. It’s the last 30” of the 125 sump. The cryptic fuge has a couple 1.5” bulkheads in a short side and is raised 6” compared to the main sump, so again, it’ll just overflow back into the sump. Feeding it with 1/2 inch, the 3” combined overflow capacity will be fine.

I’m going to put a high level float switch in the cryptic to turn the pump off via apex if, for whatever reason, the bulkheads do block and the water level rises.

D7E5BE97-35FA-4D59-A1CA-9BEB8B328374.jpeg
2787195B-7358-4EA6-888B-E48C8AD4216E.jpeg

Yeah- I manually top off the invert qt. To be honest- most of those things are pretty tolerant so it’s like 2 cups rodi 3 times a week. I marked the level with a chalk pen and if I see it low I just dump a cup in. WC 20% every 3-4 weeks, maybe. Again, it’s cuc, tiger conchs right now. Once I get the tube anemone and dusters, I’ll be a bit more hands on.

My first cuc package got 1 20% WC 3 weeks into their 76 days. Nothing else. Occasional top off. I found zero empty shells other than the half dozen the hermit crabs vacated.

Coral QT has an apex controlled auto top off and I do 25%wc every 9-10 days. Scrape the glass when I want to see the pretty fluorescence, feed reef roids twice a week broadcast, target feed a small chunk of ocean feast to the pinwheels once every two weeks. Put some pellets in for the emerald crab and the snails every week or so.

Once my ATO container (10g) for the coral qt goes low, I’m moving it from beside the tank to underneath, in the cabinet. That’ll free up a 2’ section of worktop. Not sure what I’m putting there. Probably shouldn’t put anything in there. Was thinking maybe the phytofarm, but I decided to keep it in the fishroom. Contained environment.

Cheers!

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Just started going through your years of posts. Nice work. A bit intimidating for a newbie like me but fascinating nevertheless. In fact your built brought back memories. Back in the 70s my uncle had a 6 foot freshwater tank built into a natural-rock wall - they were popular in the 60s. The wall separated the foyer from the dining room. As a little kid I was always fascinated by it. To this day I am not sure how the construction was done. Putting a tank in a stone wall (I know it wasn't hollow), providing access to all the plumbing, etc. must not have been an easy task.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Just started going through your years of posts. Nice work. A bit intimidating for a newbie like me but fascinating nevertheless. In fact your built brought back memories. Back in the 70s my uncle had a 6 foot freshwater tank built into a natural-rock wall - they were popular in the 60s. The wall separated the foyer from the dining room. As a little kid I was always fascinated by it. To this day I am not sure how the construction was done. Putting a tank in a stone wall (I know it wasn't hollow), providing access to all the plumbing, etc. must not have been an easy task.
Thanks for dropping by!

Don’t feel intimidated- we all started somewhere, and you should feel free to ask any and as many questions as you want.

Looking forward to talking more!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am rereading your thread. I forgot about the pillow!!!! I laughed. still only to the water being cloudy and yellow, much more to go. ;Happy

IM still using that same pillow!

I’m not sure if that says more about how far that fluff goes, or my wife’s proclivity for over-stuffing...

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s last pic is the community fountain that we pay a company $4k annually to maintain... but we can’t afford to keep the pool open past September 12 even though today it’s 93oF

Kids in school, wife is crashed out sleeping (rough weekend for her) and the housework is squared away, so I’m getting this guy recalibrated after it’s move

8607EA32-7CFB-46E6-89D3-89E644E89603.jpeg
D5590C63-8A90-4E65-B22A-B33DA1E2C58F.jpeg

Teaser pic... any ideas @Victoria M ?

5219E7BF-7344-4009-83FE-71FA4858C324.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool!
Thanks man! There’s a little underextrusion but perfectly fine for my use.

Once dialed in, 3D printing can be kinda fun. I took 30mins to sketch this up, then printed it while I swept the basement floor and reorganized some workbenches.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s last pic is the community fountain that we pay a company $4k annually to maintain... but we can’t afford to keep the pool open past September 12 even though today it’s 93oF

Kids in school, wife is crashed out sleeping (rough weekend for her) and the housework is squared away, so I’m getting this guy recalibrated after it’s move

8607EA32-7CFB-46E6-89D3-89E644E89603.jpeg
D5590C63-8A90-4E65-B22A-B33DA1E2C58F.jpeg

Teaser pic... any ideas @Victoria M ?

5219E7BF-7344-4009-83FE-71FA4858C324.jpeg
The switch plate is super cool but what is the handle for? Ya Killing me Small. I gotta see the rest of it!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty mangrove tank.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty mangrove tank.
I saw that briefly, then got super distracted!! Awesome build- thanks for thinking of me when you saw it!

The more I see the shallow mangroves, the more I want to put one in somewhere. Just don’t know where though.

Katie wants to blow out an exterior wall a d double our living room space. The wall is literally right about the fishroom- maybe a chopped down 20 long could find its way into the living space one day?

No comment on the handle. You’ll need to come back and check.

Need to drive page views somehow, lol!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back