OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to make my coral QT more of a permanent tank. Right now, it’s pretty bare, eggcrate, small containers of sand where needed (fungia). But I feel like I’m constantly chasing a clean tank. Couple bacterial blooms and ive got a thick layer of crud sitting on the bottom (cleaned it out today). Ended up doing an almost 100% WC but feel bad firvthe amphipods and worms etc.

I might dump a bag of sand and two big chunks of rock I have sitting around and do a quick cycle with biospira before buying another round of corals. I only have 2 fungia in there right now and they graduate to DT on November 11. Maybe I should move them to a 10g for a couple weeks and start that process in the 20l sooner rather than later.

I hate days like today. Coming down off the weekend and distracted by 8 things and can’t make a decision. Uugghh

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not the only one, right?

D87C43A0-7137-4A38-88A7-2FF6F9474A5B.jpeg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the corals if they are doing well, then set up more better coral QT. More later...on a quick lunch break.
Yeah, I think I’m going to run down the clock on the fungias then set up a new QT. I’ll still have the snail and duster QT going, but I need to isolate the feather duster before I start her 16 day clock.
I use old sour cream containers, not feta cheese... :p
i hate feta, but the wife lives on it. I just added those as they are a bigger size

I’m the dude eating all the noosa yoghurt and humus.

I use them for dipping corals, thawing cubes, catching bristleworms, water samples for testing. I was reorganizing today and set aside 10-15 of each size- I tossed a 15g garbage bin full of the rest. I didn’t want to have to build another cabinet just for the storage!

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man! How you doing?

You don’t mean remove the PT permanently, right?

I feel like the YT might need a ruby bath and some 1-1 time for feeding abd nursing. Just too much real estate to be sure she’s eating enough and I’m paranoid about a bacterial infection.

Pt is in the corner flashing and swiping the mirror for around 3 hours now. Got a lot of pent up issues apparently

no not permanently. If your YT needs to be treated outside of the tank, by all means do it! im just thinking it maybe beneficial to pull the PT outwhen you reintroduce the YT and then a few days later bring the PT back into the DT

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think I’m going to run down the clock on the fungias then set up a new QT. I’ll still have the snail and duster QT going, but I need to isolate the feather duster before I start her 16 day clock.

i hate feta, but the wife lives on it. I just added those as they are a bigger size

I’m the dude eating all the noosa yoghurt and humus.

I use them for dipping corals, thawing cubes, catching bristleworms, water samples for testing. I was reorganizing today and set aside 10-15 of each size- I tossed a 15g garbage bin full of the rest. I didn’t want to have to build another cabinet just for the storage!
I am going to have to start grocery shopping based on what containers would be good for my aquarium.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someday, you guys we are going to get together for a RAP, or a MACNA or. Frag swap. Hey, my dreams are part of what keeps me alive.
Let’s start planning now- why do We need a conference?

I’m in Suwanee/Lawrenceville, Atlanta north burbs.

If anyone ever has a layover, you’re totally welcome to come check out the tank and I’ll give you a tour of a few stores!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no not permanently. If your YT needs to be treated outside of the tank, by all means do it! im just thinking it maybe beneficial to pull the PT outwhen you reintroduce the YT and then a few days later bring the PT back into the DT
So, sadly Max Spect took the decision out of my hands. I came down this morning, carrying my two babies and introduced them to the other part of the circle of life. My poor YT was stuck to one of my gyres, fortunately I had the anemone guards on, so no direct damage, but as soon as I turned them off, she dropped to the sand and my PT took a pretty hard swipe at her. No laceration, but she didn’t even react because she was so weak. I literally just scooped her off the bottom in a container with zero resistance.

She’s in a 10g I actually set up yesterday for a new CUC QT, but she really isn’t doing well. I don’t think she’s going to make it through the afternoon.

I’m so sad. Such a beautiful fish, but PT just had her outclassed from the start. I’m going to get a replacement, but I’ll pick up a mature 6” specimen so she can fight back. If I see any continued aggression from the PT in that scenario, I’m afraid I’m going to have to give him up.

:( :( :(

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad Neil. Some parts of aquarium keeping are just so frustrating. I also think adding duplicates after the tank has many inhabitants works better. Maybe remove and add the PT last?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad Neil. Some parts of aquarium keeping are just so frustrating. I also think adding duplicates after the tank has many inhabitants works better. Maybe remove and add the PT last?
YEah, I should have. The PT was suffering from extreme HLLE when I got him and the owner of the store offered full refund if he didn’t improve after a few weeks. I got him for about 1/3rd I could see anywhere else. I should have held off on the YT and got a bigger specimen, but there was talk of a Hawaii ban and I didn’t want to go without a YT. I got the last one in any of the 6 stores within 100 miles. I drove 160 mile round trip to get her. Then of course that’s blew over and a month later I see 15 in the store 7 minutes away.

Katie actually just asked why replace with another yellow? Tbh, she has a point- many beautiful fish out there. I loved the purple on yellow coloration with the YT/PT combo but the aggression and cohabitation issues far outweigh the aesthetics. Maybe get the sailfin ive been looking at?

Anyway. I think next week I need to commit to the dispar shoal and get a few comedy fish. Thinking Midas blenny and a lawnmower. The Midas will bring that yellow pop of colour. I’ve been gunshy aboutvthe dispars since QT can be an issue but I keep talking about it and never get past the checkout. Lot of money to drop only for a repeat of the first attempt. Helps that Katie is on board but feels indulgent considering it’s her money I’m spending .

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lost fish. Thinking positive - go with the midas blenny for sure. We picked one up last weekend and it's got such a neat personality. That should help lift your spirits, hopefully.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lost fish. Thinking positive - go with the midas blenny for sure. We picked one up last weekend and it's got such a neat personality. That should help lift your spirits, hopefully.
It’s been on my list for a little while. I saw a gorgeous one in the store a couple months back but someone bought it right then. I was heading out on vacation the following week anyway so didn’t have time to QT.

Then, when I got back, I’ve been kinda putting off buying more fish. But it’s time to stock up. More fish will hopefully dilute the PT aggression. Plus staying away from similar tangs will help

So-

Midas blenny
Lawnmower blenny
Desjardini sailfin tang - any issues with a PT? Different form, right, so should be tolerated?

mckoskers flasher wrasse
Shoal of dispars

Once pods farm is producing more pods (6 weeks out at this point- restocking next week hopefully)

Ruby red dragonet
Green mandarin

Thoughts?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back